Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835620 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6420 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:59 am »

Nonetheless struck by their entreaties, the Heavenly King personally intervened to give each a bundle of mugwort and 20 cloves of garlic, saying that if they remained in a cave for 100 days with no company and no sunlight eating only those things, they would become human.
I really hope he gave them some mouthwash as well. I'm pretty sure that you could kill people by breathing on them after living on mugwort and garlic for over three months.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:33 am »

I wish I still had Asraen's character sheet to impart to you Greatorder. He was an Afflicted Half Celestial Werebear paladin + some other synergistic class in wild half plate with a super-smitey greatsword. Basically an avenging winged angel-bear-man.

He could accidentally big bads.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=460935

Behold! Possibly a big good or maybe just a random npc
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:18:06 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: January 16, 2019, 11:36:18 am »

As for the cursed immortal, aren't the classic Draugr literally that? Intelligent, unkillable shadows of the warriors they used to be, but twisted into something evil?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: January 16, 2019, 11:40:10 am »

Ye but they're not Finnish
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: January 16, 2019, 01:28:32 pm »

There's also evidence that they had more native iron smelting than you'd think, but that's down to local ore availability anyway.
It's more a paucity of weaponry, tools, and armour specifically for fighting other people. Spears are commonplace because they can be easily used to kill animals of various kinds. Axes and knives are commonplace too, because they're very useful tools and using them as a weapon isn't all that difficult.

Also as mentioned, decent swords and such require more skill. And yeah, bog iron's gonna be damn near everywhere that there are bogs.

Fair enough; I had meant that you can tune the availability of goethite through essentially invisible changes in bog microbiology, so you could justify everything from Dark Sun levels of metal rarity up through Bronze Orientation Day -- in contrast to what was once believed about pre-Roman Scandinavian ironworking -- and still be broadly consonant with the history of at least some part of Iron Age Finland. Going with weapon heads and finery hearths is a perfectly sensible take.

Incidentally, you could always fit bards into the setting as professional liars-to-bears.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:30 am »

"sir"
"Ma'am"
"Big guy"
"master"
"lordship"

etc.

Personal pronouns used for people would be adequate, as the intention is to be respectful.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: January 17, 2019, 06:47:02 am »

Well, the actual Finns called them meadpaws, but if you felt like a pun you could call them the Fur Folk.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: January 17, 2019, 07:36:07 am »

Real Finnish euphemisms, particularly common ones in bold (very incomplete list, over 200 are known to history):
  • Hän: the singular third-person pronoun. Spoken in whispers: "I saw Him at the field last night, heading for the neighbours' house."
  • Jumalanvilja: God's Grain
  • Kontio: loanword, or possibly derived from 'kontata', "to move low to the ground on four limbs"
  • Kultaherra: Golden Lord
  • Lehmänpelko: Cow's Fear
  • Mesikämmen: Dew-palm
  • Metsä: the Woods
  • Metsän kuningas: King of the Woods
  • Metsän kultaomena: Golden Apple of the Woods
  • Metsän ukko: Old Man of the Woods
  • Mörkö: Boogeyman
  • Nalle: a human first name (worth noting: in modern Finnish, nalle refers to a teddy bear)
  • Nokinen poika: Sooty Boy
  • Otso: a human first name
  • Vieras: Stranger
  • Äijä: Dude
The 'real' name that's taboo is "karhu".

Other dangerous animals also had euphemisms, such as 'metsänkissa', "cat of the woods" for the lynx or 'paskasilmä', "shit-eye" for the wolf, but those weren't as widely used.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:41:14 am by IcyTea31 »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:52 am »

Most of Finnish bear names are a bit difficult to translate. Meadpaw is one, indeed. I’ve also come across honey-thief. You also had bears called things like Brother, Man, Him. The word for forest and its variants were used to refer to the bear, but I can see that being tricky to get across. There’s ’king of the forest’ and ’apple of the forest’ (no idea what that means). I think names that refer to its qualities like fur would work well, in general - fur, paws, etc.

English also has some alternative names for bears, like ’bruin’ and, uh... that might be it? I’m sure there’s more folk names for bears from English-speaking countries.

FAKE EDIT: aand IcyTea says all that and more while I’m writing. ’Karhu’ isn’t the taboo though I’m pretty sure, just one of the euphenisms that survived.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:16 am »

Fun fact: "bear" is itself a taboo term: descending like "bruin" from "brown", referring to them as "brown ones" was a way to avoid using the original term which descended from PIE's *rkto (reference Greek arktos/Latin ursus).  "Brownie" could thus work if you're trying to be cute.  Bee-wolf isn't Finnish, but it's another option thanks to Beowulf; their love for sweet honey is rather well-attested in various languages, such as the aforementioned honey-paws, honey pig, honey-eater...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:14:41 am by Culise »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: January 17, 2019, 08:38:13 am »

Potential Swedish names:

• Hin(/Han) Store = The Great (More literally translated to "Him the Great")
  • Hin(/Han) Brune = The Brown (also more literally "Him the Brown")
  • Storfar = Greatfather
  • Gulfot = Yellowfoot (or Yellowpaw)
  • Brum = it feels like it is closely connected to "brun" (brown") by etymology, but as used it is the sound a bear makes, or the verb for making that sound.
  • Mjödhuvud = Meadhead. Possibly more accurately "honey head" as the word for mead is derived from a word for honey.

• Nalle: a human first name (worth noting: in modern Finnish, nalle refers to a teddy bear)

no is our werd gib bac

Other dangerous animals also had euphemisms, such as 'metsänkissa', "cat of the woods" for the lynx or 'paskasilmä', "shit-eye" for the wolf, but those weren't as widely used.

Also, perhaps, "(the) Glutton" for wolverine, maybe? I've thought lingered on how Unreal Word calls it that.

In Sweden we also have a host of similar names for the wolf. I like "shit-eye" though.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: January 17, 2019, 09:36:29 am »

Also, perhaps, "(the) Glutton" for wolverine, maybe? I've thought lingered on how Unreal Word calls it that.
Ahma, 'glutton', is in fact the proper Finnish word for the wolverine, not a euphemism. It's so in several other languages as well, and even its scientific name: Gulo gulo.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33:18 pm »

FAKE EDIT: aand IcyTea says all that and more while I’m writing. ’Karhu’ isn’t the taboo though I’m pretty sure, just one of the euphenisms that survived.

Clearly there needs to be a secret society dedicated to recovering the True Name of Bear and using it to being about Bearmageddon, during which even the oldest bears will hear it and awaken, thereby collapsing the hills and mountains that have accreted over them in their long hibernation.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: January 17, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »

So, did ancient people just go around using fake names? They seemed to really hate using real names for other things

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: January 17, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »

Names have power
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 622