Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832138 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6615 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:01 pm »

Speaking of osr anybody played boot hill before?  Gygax made a western about the same time as D&D and the 3rd edition is back in print.  Great shootout mechanics and a fun minimalist campaign system, thinking about running an outlaw campaign for my irl group, i know they like westerns

I've seen a copy of it at the local used bookstore once, didn't grab it and it disappeared.

Curiously the 1st ed AD&D dm guide had rules for converting to/from boot hill for... some reason I imagine.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:27 pm »

Would you recommend either of those for a Space Western campaign? I’ve been asked to run something like that and I’m excited to try it, but I’ve got no system to go with. My original plan was to hack Dark Heresy for it since some of my players are already familiar with that, but now I’m looking at a group with RPG newbies as well and would prefer not to start them on the awkwardness of ’we’re playing this game but actually we’re just taking the mechanics, ignore almost everything from this rulebook I’m sending you’.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: February 13, 2019, 03:28:47 pm »

Would you recommend either of those for a Space Western campaign?

Well, there's the Way Out West for Deadlands, but it's weird even by Deadlands standards, so may not be the best for newbies.

If you have new people, maybe just use FATE or something?

EDIT: Actually, do you want a space opera Western or the Wild West with aliens and laser pistols and so forth?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:33:59 pm by Trekkin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: February 13, 2019, 03:48:08 pm »

More like space opera western, not set on our Earth. Just a far future where there just happen to be oddly close historical parallels to the Wild West.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: February 13, 2019, 03:54:00 pm »

More like space opera western, not set on our Earth. Just a far future where there just happen to be oddly close historical parallels to the Wild West.

Well, in that case, there is the Firefly RPG, which is fairly rules-light.

The main divide here, I think, is going to be whether or not you want rules for space travel and/or vehicle combat; you can certainly tell a space Western with our without either, of course, but they will restrict your choice of system if you want built-in support for them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:46 pm »

Quote from: Vexith RPG
Select your character’s species from one of 44 distinct choices
Holy fuck. First you had my attention, now you have my consternation.

Jeez, only 44? How limiting.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: February 13, 2019, 07:42:13 pm »

Okay, glad to see we're back to normal converstation.  Also, 44 distinct races not enough?  You guys should check out RIFTS and its world/dimension books, I haven't tallied ((because I don't have them all and Palladium has lost me as a customer) but I'm betting it's well past one hundred playable races.

Should I take it that as a group we're fine with letting discussions range into writers and their foibles?  I'd like to see at least one more aye or nay before I put up an addendum to the thread rules.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »

Aye.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:03 pm »

Aye.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:31 pm »

I think it's conditionally fine; it does have the potential to get out of hand.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: February 13, 2019, 08:50:11 pm »

Okay, new addendum, read it please and if you have anything to say about it say it now.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: February 14, 2019, 12:30:44 am »

In unrelated news, it looks like I'll be playing Call of Cthulhu with some of my regular D&D group this weekend. I'll be playing a 48 year old archaeologist from either Yorkshire or Liverpool (not nailed down, whichever accent I like better) who's good at punching and shooting pistols (and also some other skills that are less useful for archaeology) and has like 13% skill in photography (he's passionate about it but not very experienced).

Also, one of my D&D friends, when I mentioned possibly running a Stars Without Number cyberpunk oneshot, mentioned that he'd really be interested in a cyberpunk game that accurately captures the essence of William Gibson's Neuromancer. Not having read the book myself, does anyone know of a game that might work for this?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: February 14, 2019, 12:53:22 am »

Also, one of my D&D friends, when I mentioned possibly running a Stars Without Number cyberpunk oneshot, mentioned that he'd really be interested in a cyberpunk game that accurately captures the essence of William Gibson's Neuromancer. Not having read the book myself, does anyone know of a game that might work for this?

Ex Machina, maybe, or TechNoir.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: February 17, 2019, 12:43:50 am »

In unrelated news, it looks like I'll be playing Call of Cthulhu with some of my regular D&D group this weekend. I'll be playing a 48 year old archaeologist from either Yorkshire or Liverpool (not nailed down, whichever accent I like better) who's good at punching and shooting pistols (and also some other skills that are less useful for archaeology) and has like 13% skill in photography (he's passionate about it but not very experienced).
We played tonight, and I decided to make my guy Canadian in the end, calling him Vancouver Steve. Because the trait or whatever I rolled said I believe in science first and foremost, I decided that, even though he has a decent understanding of the occult, it's purely an academic understanding, and he doesn't really believe in the stuff.

So when his dying colleague asked him to go complete a ritual, he took the task on, not because he thought it would do anything, but as the dying wish of a friend. Then, because the ritual involve throwing some unknown powder into fire, he rationalized that the people who did the ritual originally were under the effect of some psychotropic drug, and that all the weird stuff that he saw when he did the ritual himself was just a drug-induced mass hallucination. And when he went to get the sample analyzed afterwards and they didn't know what it was, he concluded that it must be some exotic substance from South America or something.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: February 17, 2019, 11:22:37 am »

Technoir is pretty cool but I think in style is really more noir than tech.  I guess it depends on how the campaign is run on what you emphasize, but the rules are really designed to facilitate noir adventures in a high-tech setting.  Still a cool game, with a good emphasis on character interaction (rolls are exclusively used to put adjectives on other characters; e.g. if you jump across a rooftop there's no rolling for that unless you're trying to place a hesitant or maybe sprained ankle adjective on a pursuer)

Which is cool.  I might try to get my group into a game of it some time.  We play D&D exclusively but all of them say they're really more in it for characters than anything else.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 622