Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 503

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes  (Read 324783 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6885 on: May 29, 2019, 12:12:33 pm »

At eighth level, the Arcane Trickster can select any Wizard spell, instead of just an Enchantment or Illusion spell.
Also, the Reduce spellcaster, the Arcane Trickster, and the gnome do not need to be the same character, they could be three different characters.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: May 29, 2019, 01:52:23 pm »

At eighth level, the Arcane Trickster can select any Wizard spell, instead of just an Enchantment or Illusion spell.
Also, the Reduce spellcaster, the Arcane Trickster, and the gnome do not need to be the same character, they could be three different characters.

Yeah, but D&D doesn't like you to get above level 5, because some people are still hitting things with pieces of metal while others can summon angels or fly or turn invisible. I think the solution in recent editions has been to make it so you can't buy nicer pieces of metal to hit things with, because that's the one where you get "too good."
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: May 29, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »

Yeah, but D&D doesn't like you to get above level 5, because some people are still hitting things with pieces of metal while others can summon angels or fly or turn invisible. I think the solution in recent editions has been to make it so you can't buy nicer pieces of metal to hit things with, because that's the one where you get "too good."
Yes, but this is a discussion over Arcane Trickster casting this spell, and this is one level above when you get the your 2nd level spell slot. This is an intrinsic part of this conversation, disregarding that the game doesn't want you over fifth level, as that isn't really part of this conversation.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: May 29, 2019, 03:04:46 pm »

Yes, but this is a discussion over Arcane Trickster casting this spell, and this is one level above when you get the your 2nd level spell slot. This is an intrinsic part of this conversation, disregarding that the game doesn't want you over fifth level, as that isn't really part of this conversation.

Ah. You'd said 8th level, which is why I made the comment. Level 4 is doable.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: May 29, 2019, 03:55:57 pm »

I mean one above the level a Arcane Trickster gets 2nd level spell slots, which is seven.
I was simply answering them about Arcane Trickster being able to cast the spell, not stating that it would be likely they get the chance.

This can be done at a mere 3rd level, just need an Arcane Trickster, and someone else to cast Reduce. Oh, and someone small enough for it to work, in best case the Arcane Trickster.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • A ball of yarn, but the yarn is souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: May 29, 2019, 04:20:04 pm »

Uh, don't think the arcane trickster hand is stronger or faster or anything like that.
"You hide your face. What are you afraid of?"
"My face is a mask, and I prefer this one."

Please, break my heart and put it back together without you in it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:03 pm »

Uh, don't think the arcane trickster hand is stronger or faster or anything like that.
Starting at 3rd level it's invisible, can do more things (like pick pockets/locks), and you can use your Cunning Action to control the hand.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: May 30, 2019, 12:33:07 pm »

A regular person can get a Mage Hand to move 30 feet a round. An Arcane Trickster can get it to move 60 feet a round, thanks to their being able to control it with a bonus action, or move it 30 feet and do an action.
Also, as Kagus said, it is invisible, so it looks more like you're flying than just being picked up by a glowing hand. This may be considered a drawback, though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:35:06 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:15 pm »

The hand may be invisible but surely the pinched fabric at your neck is a dead giveaway as you dangle your way to freedom.

Assuming you have to target something that isn't a creature, however D&D words it. If you can command the hand to touch yourself, then go wild.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: May 30, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »

If you can command the hand to touch yourself, then go wild.
Intentional double entendre?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »

It's the way I wrote it initially. Proofread my post, did a small internal "heh", and decided to keep it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:13 am »

Melbourne folks!
I'm a bit late with this - I should have posted earlier but it didn't occur to me 'til now - but tomorrow, Good Games Melbourne, a gaming store in the CBD, is having their Free RPG Day. I went last year and it was pretty sweet!
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this time, but if you're interested it shouldn't be too late to grab one of the last seats at a table. There are a few spots left in D&D, Legend of the Five Rings and a Conan RPG. Unfortunately Call of Cthulhu is full, otherwise I might have had to expend the immense effort to shuffle my schedule in order to attend, haha...

I definitely recommend it to anyone with even a faint interest in tabletop RPGs. Last time was definitely a positive experience - even if it didn't end up getting me to start being more involved in gaming like I'd hoped. ^_^;
Also they give out free goodies to participants!
I wish I'd known about it earlier, but somehow I only found out it was on a couple of days ago. Alas.

Edit: oops, accidentally hit submit too soon.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:36:22 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:47 am »

So.

The D20 wiki for the mage hand says it cannot activate magical items.  I presume this is for things that require some kind of active magical channeling, rather than, you know "Push a button".

I say that, because an immovable rod is a magical item, that is activated by -- you guessed it-- PUSHING A BUTTON.

Now:

The Mage Hand can only carry 10 lbs, and can only move 30 feet away from its user before being dispelled. 
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Mage%20Hand#content

An immovable rod weighs just a few pounds, and is activated by depressing the button socketed into the end of it.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Immovable%20Rod#content

Clever use of a good length of rope, mage hands, and immovable rods, could be used to make a "very sluggish" "Magic carpet".

Imagine:

The rope is tied to the immovable rods using timber hitch knots.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/timber-hitch

Between the rods, the rope is woven into something resembling a cargo net.

Riders sit in the netting.

At any given point, the weight of the riders is sustained by the immovable rods, NOT the mage hands.  The apparatus moves "sluglike", in that it incrementally moves each rod forward slightly by deactivating it, tugging on the netting so that it moves forward/upward/whatever, then activating it again, in a rhythmic, repetitious pattern.

Since each rod can carry up to 8000lbs of dead weight, having such a contraption made from several rods, an entire party, and their loot, could be "slugged" along, even over a very large expansive crevasse.  That you can move a mage hand up to 30ft at a whack, even with its 10lb restriction (as long as the weight of the netting itself tied to it does not exceed 8lbs) the combined weight of the net and rod at each moment of movement will be within its limitations, and cloud potentially move quite quickly.

Being a net, the party could look down through it, and even shoot arrows down through it, without much issue.  Being sufficiently high up (such as in open terrain), would make them vulnerable only to flyers and mage fire. (and if they are using fire proof rope, and have suitable tower shields to sit on, even that might not be a problem.)

Sorry, I imagine silly things like this when I read about nonsense items like these.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:00:25 am by wierd »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 13, 2019, 10:03:36 am »

Restrictions like Mage Hand and Magic Items are generally restrictive, as are D&D rules in general  ::) , so it technically shouldn't be able to work an immovable rod despite how little sense it makes that it can't.

That said there are plenty of spells to make small assistants or invisible forces to do tasks for you, so you can Mage Hand the slug-rug to move and have the rods activated/deactivated by homonculi, or familiars or unseen servants. I think US can activate items for you anyway. Makes it more awkward, but it should work out about as fast.

It'll be very slow anyway since it only moves as fast as there are mage hands to shuffle it along
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: June 13, 2019, 10:07:57 am »

And pressing the button requires an action as well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 503