Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825536 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6900 on: May 14, 2019, 03:32:26 pm »

Corruption mechanics. You could probably steal something from the 40k RPGs.

As for goblin blood, how about something useful but so situationally that it doesn't really matter? A short bonus to hiding, cheap disengage, upgrading normal -> low-light -> dark vision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: May 14, 2019, 03:35:37 pm »

Doesn't seem great to give a really common item a situational use. At that point you may as well say they don't have enough power to do anything and save the players from hoarding the things.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: May 14, 2019, 03:47:56 pm »

Darkvision might be useful, but if everyone in your party has it its not that useful.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: May 14, 2019, 05:20:13 pm »

Maybe goblin heart blood could be some sort of replacement for (part of) the gp costs of crafting items and scribing scrolls and things? That way one goblin heart isn't terribly useful, but slaughtering a truckload of goblins gets you half off a new pair of magic boots or something.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: May 14, 2019, 05:46:18 pm »

This reminds me that I think there was some sort of rumor in my group's setting that halfling blood has a silencing effect, especially when used on door hinges.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: May 15, 2019, 05:47:55 am »

So an idea I had today was borne of scanning through the spell list for a Pathfinder Cleric. The spell Enemy's Heart would make a great enchantment to put on a dagger, and I thought of making a mission objective for a quest out if it.

I figured I'd make a +1 dagger with 3/day uses of Enemy's Heart, and the PC has a mission to assassinate a target using the dagger.

This got me thinking of other items that could be turned into objects which a PC must use to complete a quest. What things do you guys reckon would make good quest items, not as a McGuffin to find, but as a tool to use to accomplish your objective? I'm really struggling to figure out stuff to use that's not a weapon or a weapon analogue, such as a wand.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: May 15, 2019, 07:46:37 am »

In the final quest of the Thieves Guild line in Oblivion, you have to bring an arrow with a key as its head that you have to shoot into a lock from across the room. The same quest also has you use magical jumping boots to survive a long fall.

And if you're looking for items to use as tools for a quest, why not actual tools and trinkets? A silent hammer. A bottle of special perfume to Charm a guard. A belt with a coded message written on it. A gnomish recording phonograph to eavesdrop a confession. A pair of goggles so dark that they make you blind to everything but a monster that otherwise shines like the sun.

A Hand of Glory, in any form of the myth, would be useful for a sneak (whether it turns you invisible, shines a light only you can see, entrances anyone but you looking at it, or whatever).
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: May 15, 2019, 08:57:19 am »

I still like that idea I saw one time of a sword that causes emotional wounds.

Want a quest item? How about an important person is inflicted with an ailment that can be cured with a chunk of mellifed man? I suppose that's a bit McGuffin-y though...

Dimensional needle and thread? Use it to stitch reality rifts back together.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: May 15, 2019, 09:22:37 am »

I still like that idea I saw one time of a sword that causes emotional wounds.

Pathfinder has a spell for that, sort of. Enchant your gimp suit with the Sadomasochism spell.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:52 pm »

https://reclaimthewild.net/
This is a Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild tabletop game. I have not read much of the manual, but what I have seems interesting.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: May 15, 2019, 03:44:11 pm »

This is a Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild tabletop game. I have not read much of the manual, but what I have seems interesting.
Interesting indeed. I have a pdf that contains 5th Edition versions of Hylian races, but a proper LoZ tabletop game could be very cool.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: May 17, 2019, 11:50:17 am »

There are people near me that play 3.5 DND. Sweet.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: May 17, 2019, 11:57:40 am »

Interesting indeed. I have a pdf that contains 5th Edition versions of Hylian races, but a proper LoZ tabletop game could be very cool.
In case it's not obvious, its free.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:17 pm »

In case it's not obvious, its free.
Yeah, I've been looking over the core book. It looks rather nice, especially for a fan project, and the mechanics don't look half bad either.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 622