Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 487

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes  (Read 307094 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6915 on: June 13, 2019, 01:09:16 pm »

Sure.  The other side of rule zero, coupled with a very good observe roll.

When describing an object, should a player ask about it, you base your description based on how good a check they did.  If they got a really good check, you describe how it works for them.

Once they know, they can suggest doing something funny while in passing.

Such as, discretely activating one of the "passivated" rods being carried over the top of the conveyor, with a single, fast, and discrete finger jab.

This would jam the car HARD in mid air, while whatever inertial energy involved would still be in play.  Our gnomish prick would go flying out of his overly elaborate flying throne, to the delight of the children.

This is to say, this kind of attention to detail in the writeup phase is less about being the piss whizzard (who simply cannot abide a derail or slight against his carefully crafted story arc, or debasement of his world building fetishes) and more providing every possible level of detail, including the microscopic, should the players ask-- as an open invitation for them to grab that, and run with it in whatever direction they so please.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:32:46 pm by wierd »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: June 13, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »

Its all well and good as a piece of background fluff, but when the players inevitably end up chasing it or steal it to try and get out of town while being chased, then all of a sudden they and you are going to have to figure out how the thing actually works.

Could also point out "item type is 'adventuring gear', not 'magic (or wondrous) item'."

Does it help any that I see this kind of thing being created by a gnome?
Minor nitpick: Magic items are considered adventuring gear. Wondrous items are a subset of magic items. and the full list for the immovable rod is adventuring gear (rod), and rods are are also a subset of magic items.

It takes an action to PURPOSEFULLY activate the rod.

Since it is activated via a simple application of pressure to the sensitive end, this is an OBVIOUS DM "gotcha".  "oops, that carefully oriented immovable rod you suspended in the air, in the path of the rampaging hell beast, so that it would act as an impromptu lance, held in place by 8000lbs of resistance?  yeah-- you had the button end facing the monster.  On impact, the button got pushed."

We are abusing this same kind of logic:
I mean, a DM could do that, but there's a lot of easier ways to do this that don't require saying someone accidentally disabled the rod without using an action.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: June 13, 2019, 06:53:37 pm »

As an aside, one of my favorite DM trick traps has always been the Invisibility spell.

I'm assuming 90% of players have only ever looked at the spell as a means of stealth to bypass enemies. But there's actually a big bag of tricks that you can use with casting it on objects.

One of my all time best was a sheet of invisible iron halfway across a pit trap, hanging down from the ceiling. The player tries to jump across the 10 ft. wide pit? Bang! Straight into the iron, then splat! Down the hole.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: June 13, 2019, 06:58:17 pm »

I just realized that you can cast Invisibility on other people's clothes. If I'm ever playing a quirky magic-user with the spell, I can interrupt a dramatic moment with instant naked.
Unfortunately, RAW, you can't do that in 5e.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: June 13, 2019, 07:39:25 pm »

No, surely not, worn items generally get a save...  Aha!

So you have to deliver the touch spell (though familiars make that easier IIRC) but the bearer gets a will save, whether you target themself or merely their garment.  Magic items also get a save, higher bonus is used, yadda yadda.

So... what's the XP for a level 0 commoner killing a clever idea?

Edit: Although if you have a stealthy... or perhaps even *invisible* familiar... They likely won't be aware of your attempt.  They'd have to notice your spellcasting, which might be a decent check if their attention is elsewhere.  Or you're invisible.  If they aren't "foes", your own theoretical invisibility wouldn't drop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:43:49 pm by Rolan7 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • D'yeh feel that stirrin', longfriends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:48 pm »

Now, why would worn and carried items be arbitrarily granted greater resistance to a spell's effect? Illogical!
There can be no escape, only victory.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: June 13, 2019, 07:59:28 pm »

Now, why would worn and carried items be arbitrarily granted greater resistance to a spell's effect? Illogical!
Because it's attuned to a soul.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: June 13, 2019, 08:06:12 pm »

Probably for the same reason that some random commoner gets a "will save" against Invisibility :P
Presumably that arcane force runs up against some subconscious ego which resists outside influence.  Will saves are generally subconscious unless you happen to see the weird mage make funny hand gestures at you.  Their energies try to overrule your will.

Why wouldn't that apply to your clothing, your weapon?  It's like someone patting your car hood as they walk past - it feels personal.  So, in this setting's magic, perhaps it *is* personal.  You channel your will through your sword, like it's an extension of yourself.  The wizard tells your sword to grow red-hot with Heat Metal and you say no, I will not.

Edit:  Without even being *aware*.  You naturally resist outside influence on that part of yourself, your weapon.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:10:11 pm by Rolan7 »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: June 13, 2019, 08:12:28 pm »

5e Invisibility does not have a save at all.
However, it only works on creatures; You can't cast it specifically on their clothing, or any other object, regardless of being worn or not.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:14:45 pm by pikachu17 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • D'yeh feel that stirrin', longfriends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:40 pm »

In 5e worn items are immune to being set on fire by spells, and it doesn't even take a save!
There can be no escape, only victory.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: June 13, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »

5e is great and I'm glad my group switched to it, but it sure simplified things a lot.  I have very mixed feelings about that, but they trend towards the positive.  That doesn't mean I don't miss the ridiculous depth of 3.5 splat sometimes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: June 13, 2019, 10:21:16 pm »

My group has stuck with Pathfinder 1st edition, and has no interest in swapping to D&D 5th edition or Pathfinder 2nd edition for the fact that they simply remove too much player agency in quirky stuff you can do with rules.

Tonight, my players get their final session against the halfling bard that's been trying to steal their solid gold sarcophagus they've been guarding. I wonder if they'll see through his cunning disguise before he steals it from under their noses?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: June 14, 2019, 12:16:37 am »

As an aside, one of my favorite DM trick traps has always been the Invisibility spell.

I'm assuming 90% of players have only ever looked at the spell as a means of stealth to bypass enemies. But there's actually a big bag of tricks that you can use with casting it on objects.

One of my all time best was a sheet of invisible iron halfway across a pit trap, hanging down from the ceiling. The player tries to jump across the 10 ft. wide pit? Bang! Straight into the iron, then splat! Down the hole.
https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/asimo/grimtooths-traps/

Inform the delvers that they sense magic coming from the corridor ahead of them. A detection spell will reveal a pit beneath the floor, hidden from view by an illusion spell. The delvers, not wishing to be surprised by whatever lurks in the pit below, will probably cast some sort of magic to dispel the illusion. Lurking inside the pit is a gorgon...

Most of them are outlandishly silly or handwave-y, but I like the hidden gorgon.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: June 14, 2019, 07:10:15 pm »

Oh, wow, this is where that's from.  That's one of my favorite floor traps besides the "10'x10' pit filled with gelatinous cube" and "dispel magic dispels the conjured floor" stunts.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: June 15, 2019, 09:11:50 am »

Since when did dungeon design become a Kaizo Mario game? That sort of instant-death-lolz might get a few guffaws out of the DM but it'd just piss off most players.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 487