Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825465 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6915 on: May 17, 2019, 11:08:41 pm »

We've been running Fire Emblem games on this very forum for years and Nintendo hasn't come knocking. Yet.

* Sirus knocks on wood

I think as long as it stays relatively quiet it should be okay. Besides, it'd be relatively easy to convert the system to a more generic setting if worst came to worst.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: May 29, 2019, 12:02:39 pm »

That is quite clever. However, it takes a second spell slot, and takes up your action to move 30 feet, so the spell Fly is all-around superior.

Actually, a warlock with an imp, or pseudodragon, familiar can have the familiar carry up to 30 feet of stuff, so he can just carry a full-size gnome at all times, or nine Reduced gnomes, and without an action.

All of this, however, does not work if you actually have the gnome's equipment count, unless the gnome has bare-bones equipment.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: May 29, 2019, 12:09:39 pm »

Doesn't the arcane trickster get a special mage hand though? That could work...

Wait, can tricksters even cast reduce? That does sound like something they should have access to, honestly.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: May 29, 2019, 12:12:33 pm »

At eighth level, the Arcane Trickster can select any Wizard spell, instead of just an Enchantment or Illusion spell.
Also, the Reduce spellcaster, the Arcane Trickster, and the gnome do not need to be the same character, they could be three different characters.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: May 29, 2019, 01:52:23 pm »

At eighth level, the Arcane Trickster can select any Wizard spell, instead of just an Enchantment or Illusion spell.
Also, the Reduce spellcaster, the Arcane Trickster, and the gnome do not need to be the same character, they could be three different characters.

Yeah, but D&D doesn't like you to get above level 5, because some people are still hitting things with pieces of metal while others can summon angels or fly or turn invisible. I think the solution in recent editions has been to make it so you can't buy nicer pieces of metal to hit things with, because that's the one where you get "too good."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: May 29, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »

Yeah, but D&D doesn't like you to get above level 5, because some people are still hitting things with pieces of metal while others can summon angels or fly or turn invisible. I think the solution in recent editions has been to make it so you can't buy nicer pieces of metal to hit things with, because that's the one where you get "too good."
Yes, but this is a discussion over Arcane Trickster casting this spell, and this is one level above when you get the your 2nd level spell slot. This is an intrinsic part of this conversation, disregarding that the game doesn't want you over fifth level, as that isn't really part of this conversation.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: May 29, 2019, 03:04:46 pm »

Yes, but this is a discussion over Arcane Trickster casting this spell, and this is one level above when you get the your 2nd level spell slot. This is an intrinsic part of this conversation, disregarding that the game doesn't want you over fifth level, as that isn't really part of this conversation.

Ah. You'd said 8th level, which is why I made the comment. Level 4 is doable.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: May 29, 2019, 03:55:57 pm »

I mean one above the level a Arcane Trickster gets 2nd level spell slots, which is seven.
I was simply answering them about Arcane Trickster being able to cast the spell, not stating that it would be likely they get the chance.

This can be done at a mere 3rd level, just need an Arcane Trickster, and someone else to cast Reduce. Oh, and someone small enough for it to work, in best case the Arcane Trickster.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: May 29, 2019, 04:20:04 pm »

Uh, don't think the arcane trickster hand is stronger or faster or anything like that.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:03 pm »

Uh, don't think the arcane trickster hand is stronger or faster or anything like that.
Starting at 3rd level it's invisible, can do more things (like pick pockets/locks), and you can use your Cunning Action to control the hand.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: May 30, 2019, 12:33:07 pm »

A regular person can get a Mage Hand to move 30 feet a round. An Arcane Trickster can get it to move 60 feet a round, thanks to their being able to control it with a bonus action, or move it 30 feet and do an action.
Also, as Kagus said, it is invisible, so it looks more like you're flying than just being picked up by a glowing hand. This may be considered a drawback, though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:35:06 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:15 pm »

The hand may be invisible but surely the pinched fabric at your neck is a dead giveaway as you dangle your way to freedom.

Assuming you have to target something that isn't a creature, however D&D words it. If you can command the hand to touch yourself, then go wild.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: May 30, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »

If you can command the hand to touch yourself, then go wild.
Intentional double entendre?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »

It's the way I wrote it initially. Proofread my post, did a small internal "heh", and decided to keep it.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 622