Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825415 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7185 on: September 10, 2019, 10:19:17 am »

Just wait until the additional character options supplement for Tingleverse comes out. The author claimed that he'd like to do rules for Living Objects. You don't have to be a sofa that was turned into a person. You could be a literal sofa that is legally a person.

PeeWee was in a committed relationship like that long before Tingle came along. He needs to get with the times and make something truly edgy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: September 16, 2019, 11:12:01 pm »

Playing lots of blasphemous and thinking about Morrowind has got me in the mood to do a megadungeon campaign, just gotta see if the more old school group I know is actually up for doing anything.  Thinking of a byzantine/late roman mediterranean setting, pseudo-Christian mythology, where the gods are retreating from the world.  The sky's turned sickly yellow, the rivers are running dry, crops and animals are born mutated or dead, the world is dying, and the powers that be are convinced that the way to call them back is with the fruit hidden in the Monastery of the Sacred Vine (tree of life analog, as a mystical grapevine), which is the megadungeon.  Got lots of fun ideas for settings and monsters, communities of holy warriors and monks, angels and demons, non-standard fantasy stuff.  Add a dark soulsy element where the Sacred Vine is kind of scary and mysterious, people who drink its wine become Implementi (i hope that's the right latin, as in "those who are filled"), overwhelmed by otherworldly light that blasts out of their eyes and mouths and burns to the touch, horrible angelic guardians created by the Vine's power, emphasize the horror element of fucking with an ancient power nobody understands.  Maybe reskin clerics to reflect the state of the gods, if I feel like overachieving.

I just don't know today, in the year of our lord 2019, if I still have enough will to spend time making D&D stuff when I don't know if I'll ever have a group to run it for.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:19:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: September 17, 2019, 04:02:29 pm »

I once did a megadungeon game, but gave my players a magic scroll. This scroll took 10 minutes to activate when you unrolled it onto a surface. After 10 minutes, it formed a portal into a general store, allowing any non-living item to be transferred across. Basically a shop-in-a-bottle. It lets the players access equipment they might not necessarily find in the dungeon itself.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:00 am »

I'm gonna be playing swords and wizardry, a 0e clone that uses gold recovered from the dungeon for xp, so being able to cash in xp inside the dungeon is gonna be a no-no.

I prefer the sense of isolation and the need to return to the surface more anyway.  There'll be factions in the dungeon who might trade if the players win them over, and plenty of secret paths, shortcuts, and alternate entrances to keep things fresh on top of restocking and moving monsters around
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: September 19, 2019, 11:45:04 am »

swords and wizardry

O hai

Be forewarned if you care about being a true buckaroo. Unless you muck with the sliders, some portion of the money will go to Frog God and Bill Webb. What he did has been deemed out of the scope of this thread so feel free to go look him up.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: September 21, 2019, 07:09:18 pm »

Character Idea:
Threnesh was a thief and silvertongue, one of the best in his small town.
He was hired for a job, a pretty big one, but not one he couldn't handle. Or so he thought.
Then the job went sideways, and he had to pretend to be a new initiate to a religious order to get away.
He acted exactly as an initiate would, sure he could get away once the "ritual" was done.
But after he swore the so-called Oath of Devotion, he felt... different.
A bit later he tried to steal someone's wallet. He felt a terrible headache until he gave the wallet back.
Now he has to contend with being forced to follow an Oath he never wanted to.
Class: Paladin.
Background: Criminal.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: September 22, 2019, 04:37:53 am »

Reminds me of werebears. Every full moon you turn into a Lawful Good bear, going out building orphanages and rescuing damsels in distress.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: September 22, 2019, 12:36:41 pm »

Reminds me of werebears. Every full moon you turn into a Lawful Good bear, going out building orphanages and rescuing damsels in distress.
And every other day of the month you fill the orphanages and distress damsels.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: September 24, 2019, 08:56:33 am »

Had a chat with a friend today about GMing styles.

Personally, I go for comedy and enjoyment over everything else. Rules are only there as a crutch, and am happy to have entire sessions with only a couple of rolls. Mostly, this is because the people I play with can play this way and generate good stories.

He and I were thinking about playing a much more serious game than usual. Not dark fantasy per se, but more of a serious roleplaying experience, rather than long form improv comedy.

First, I wonder what you all tend towards, and second, any ideas on how to steer a comedic group toward a serious story?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: September 24, 2019, 09:09:18 am »

Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: September 24, 2019, 05:19:52 pm »

First, I wonder what you all tend towards, and second, any ideas on how to steer a comedic group toward a serious story?
My current group is relatively serious and quite roll-heavy. It's not necessarily my preference, but it's the gestalt tendency of the group. We did recently try to start a more roleplay-oriented game, and we've spent a significant portion of the time sneaking around, framing people, starting untoward rumors about the orc and the necromancer, arm wrestling, and making fun of a dude's name. And also being imprisoned, causing major problems, getting drunk, and brawling with NPCs who think they're tough, which were all things we already did a lot.

As for how to steer the group, just discuss it with them.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: September 24, 2019, 06:26:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo

Thanks scriver but, I live in China and can't open this.

As for how to steer the group, just discuss it with them.

Aye, I'm sure we can all agree to do it, and probably could for a session, but the old habits come up even when we do serious scenes in other games. (And when I play, I'm far too improv-y for some GMs) I was thinking of using a rule-heavy system just for the change of pace which might shake things up enough. I've also never done an official DnD module - and Curse of Strahd might be something which would encourage that roleplaying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: September 25, 2019, 08:06:11 am »

No worries, it was just a link to the scene in the Never-ending Story where his horse dies, ie the saddest scene in movie history.

I even started crying just watching it when I got the link  ;)
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:05 am »

Haha, jesus.
Artax!  ;~;

That's basically what I don't want - suffering doesn't sound like a fun table experience.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: September 25, 2019, 12:44:58 pm »

Go to these in order.
First Video
Second video
Article

EDIT:Also, an Assassin's suprised crit can be done with a spell. Bigby's Slap Assassination is a go!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:37:16 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 622