Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825329 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7515 on: November 17, 2019, 06:50:34 pm »

Be a real bitch to make it actually lay flat though.

I honestly don't remember my Chessex map being that expensive but I didn't have to order it online and I've owned it for the better part of a decade now so who knows how much it really was.  The real problem was getting the wet-erase overhead projecter markers to draw on it with.  Those cost a bit and they can be hard to even find.  I think I have the smallest size they made, nonetheless.

That and I have a dozen or so Heroclix maps I might be able to press into service now, too.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: November 18, 2019, 02:59:34 am »

I have a set of plastic jigsaw cut grid pieces. They're a brand called Tact-Tiles by Void Star Studios.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

A friend got a set and after playing on them I knew I wanted my own. I got a mate who was going to USA to pick them up for me to save shipping costs. My set is enough to cover a full dining table and have spares for secret maps that I can add as required.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:27 am »

That and I have a dozen or so Heroclix maps I might be able to press into service now, too.

Hmm. I wonder if Battletech maps would be good (if you have a hex-based system).

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: November 18, 2019, 02:50:45 pm »

If someone says they love a food, can you use Suggestion to make them marry it?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:37 pm »

I would say that depends on several factors - the food in question, how reasonable you can make the suggestion sound, and your game universe.

Cilantro? Hard no.

This unnamed other is a cannibal or a race that eats other meaty sentients? Sure, I'll go with it.

You're playing in a RuneQuest or Octonauts analog and the other party is an aldryami or a planimal? Weird flex but okay.

Reminds me of the d20-era story regarding a low-level orc cleric who healed an entire village of a plague with a few casts of "purify food and drink" because the character's race in that universe was cannibalistic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:49:11 pm by Mephisto »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:27 pm »

If someone says they love a food, can you use Suggestion to make them marry it?

I don't see why you can't make that joke with everything, not just food.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: November 18, 2019, 04:20:45 pm »

There's "love" and there's "in love". Norwegian, for its many faults, does at least have different words for the concepts

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: November 20, 2019, 10:37:57 am »

I threw a senile and polite Lich at four level 3 players and they survived. Also threw a Night and two Green Hags at them, with similar results.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: November 24, 2019, 01:21:38 pm »

So I'm planning out a world with some rather extensive homebrew-- sort of a post-magical-apocalypse steampunk thing, with floating islands and lots of weird arcane abominations roaming the mage-blasted wastelands. Trolls will be figuring heavily in all this, and with that in mind I'd like to set up a half-troll player race. A quick Google search turned up this piece of 3rd-party material, and I've been rewriting bits and pieces of it to better fit the fluff I've got in mind.
Spoiler: Trollkin (click to show/hide)
Strange refluff aside: does this thing balance OK with existing races? If not, what would I need to change to bring it in line?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: November 26, 2019, 04:16:18 am »

So, presumably since Polymorph replaces all the target's attributes with those of the chosen form, including mental, if you polymorph someone into a beast and then cast Awaken on them, they won't keep the 10 Int after changing back...

But a druid's Wild Shape lets them keep mental attributes, right? So if your druid has a bad case of the dumb, they can shift and then you Awaken them for 10 Int and a bonus language (possibly)? Plus 30 days of being charmed, but that's just the fine print... No need to worry about that.

If a druid has Polearm Master and casts Shillelagh on a quarterstaff, that would presumably just be d8/d4 instead of d8/d8, right? Since PM's bonus attack technically isn't "part of the weapon", it's just "This attack's damage die is d4".

Shame about there being so few touch spells in the PHB... Plenty of warlock familiar shenanigans that could've been had, what with the at-will invisibility and all. I mean, you can still cast Darkness on a pebble and give it to your imp to fly around with, but c'mon... Shenanigans.

Sure, you could take Magic Initiate (or just level in sorc, I guess) for Light and Shocking Grasp, but that hardly counts as proper shenanigans.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: November 26, 2019, 08:41:03 am »

So, presumably since Polymorph replaces all the target's attributes with those of the chosen form, including mental, if you polymorph someone into a beast and then cast Awaken on them, they won't keep the 10 Int after changing back...

But a druid's Wild Shape lets them keep mental attributes, right? So if your druid has a bad case of the dumb, they can shift and then you Awaken them for 10 Int and a bonus language (possibly)? Plus 30 days of being charmed, but that's just the fine print... No need to worry about that.

If a druid has Polearm Master and casts Shillelagh on a quarterstaff, that would presumably just be d8/d4 instead of d8/d8, right? Since PM's bonus attack technically isn't "part of the weapon", it's just "This attack's damage die is d4".

Shame about there being so few touch spells in the PHB... Plenty of warlock familiar shenanigans that could've been had, what with the at-will invisibility and all. I mean, you can still cast Darkness on a pebble and give it to your imp to fly around with, but c'mon... Shenanigans.

Sure, you could take Magic Initiate (or just level in sorc, I guess) for Light and Shocking Grasp, but that hardly counts as proper shenanigans.

That type of stuff is fun, but harder to balance. I assume that's why the fix is to bring everyone down to a boring level instead of giving fighters something interesting they can do.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: November 26, 2019, 09:38:35 am »

So I'm planning out a world with some rather extensive homebrew-- sort of a post-magical-apocalypse steampunk thing, with floating islands and lots of weird arcane abominations roaming the mage-blasted wastelands. Trolls will be figuring heavily in all this, and with that in mind I'd like to set up a half-troll player race. A quick Google search turned up this piece of 3rd-party material, and I've been rewriting bits and pieces of it to better fit the fluff I've got in mind.
Spoiler: Trollkin (click to show/hide)
Strange refluff aside: does this thing balance OK with existing races? If not, what would I need to change to bring it in line?

The lips thing is very odd, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
I think this doesn't raise any major flags for balance. The Hit Die heal is nice. I'd note these things, though.
- The Wildling subrace sounds like it should have a wisdom boon rather than charisma. Which would suggest druids and clerics, most likely - which I think makes sense with the whole healing part of trolls. It'd make monks more likely as well, which would make the unarmed attacks useless.
- One advantage per long rest is a very weak ability. To keep it, I'd bump it up to a short rest.
-Thick Hide is fine, but most racial natural armor is portrayed as an AC plus dex instead. Basically free armor - Tortle have 18AC, and Draconic Sorcerers get like 12+dex.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:41:10 am by delphonso »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:24 am »

Paladin: Hey, orcs, I'm here to make you good.
If redeemer paladin: *thinking of redeeming them*
If avenger paladin: *thinking of how he said the only good orc is a dead orc*
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: November 26, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »

If paladin of the Ancients: *thinking of sharing weed with the orcs*
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: November 26, 2019, 03:08:01 pm »

I don't think so, no. Assuming this is about 5e:

Your game Statistics are replaced by the Statistics of the beast, but you retain your Alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.
You keep your int when you're wildshaped.

Awaken only works if the target has an int of 3 or less (or no int score). If your character's int is that low, they're not even sentient; I would argue they're no more a playable character than the party mule carrying the loot.

Afaik, yeah, it'd be 1d8/1d4.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 622