Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834170 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8310 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:31 am »

Emo-sphinx asks the characters all pay her toll in a happy memory. She either takes the memory away from them or borrows it for a day. In case of the latter when they get the memory back they remember it as if she was there all along.

Sphinx demands toll on the form of a sacrifice of courage. The character who sacrifices his has disadvantage on rolls against fear effects (or similar) for a time. Use when you think your players are going to go up against spooky things. Or don't if that would be unfair.

Sphinx demands a letter from their names. No givebacks, Frank

Sphinx demands magic. You have to pay her a spellslot/use of a spell for that day.

Sphinx demands life. You have to give up one of your hit dice that you can use to regain health at short rests for a day.

I just realised I've assumed the sphinxcounter would take place right next to other encounters. Duration of sacrifices will probably have to be changed if not.

Sphinx has lost her wings and wants to fly. Druid has to temporarily give up a use of their wildshape.

Sphinx is having a little gettogether with her fellow sphinxes and wants manticore casserole recepies. Or maybe she wants their advice on how to best prepare a person?
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: August 03, 2020, 08:10:04 am »

Emo-sphinx asks the characters all pay her toll in a happy memory. She either takes the memory away from them or borrows it for a day. In case of the latter when they get the memory back they remember it as if she was there all along.
If your players are good roleplayers, you could go double with the standard fey folk payment: one joyful laugh and one sorrowful tear, collected at an unspecified time in the future. Save these for something major and dramatic, and then explain that the character only feels hollow. They know they should be happy or sad, but are so unable to express their emotions that they start doubting themselves. For bonus points, make sure it happens in public.

In a funeral: "Hey! That guy doesn't look sad! He must be the murderer!"

There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8312 on: August 03, 2020, 08:19:48 am »

This one is fucking amazing. Also now there's two sphynxes because I like the idea of a sphynx couple, each with different personalities, so they can ask different things from the players.

Sphinx demands toll on the form of a sacrifice of courage. The character who sacrifices his has disadvantage on rolls against fear effects (or similar) for a time. Use when you think your players are going to go up against spooky things. Or don't if that would be unfair.
Literally going to sick the four ducks, geese and swans of the apocalypse on them afterwards :D

Sphinx demands a letter from their names. No givebacks, Frank
Cruel and hilarious

Sphinx demands magic. You have to pay her a spellslot/use of a spell for that day.

Sphinx demands life. You have to give up one of your hit dice that you can use to regain health at short rests for a day.

I just realised I've assumed the sphinxcounter would take place right next to other encounters. Duration of sacrifices will probably have to be changed if not.

Sphinx has lost her wings and wants to fly. Druid has to temporarily give up a use of their wildshape.

Sphinx is having a little gettogether with her fellow sphinxes and wants manticore casserole recepies. Or maybe she wants their advice on how to best prepare a person?
I like the last one a lot, could turn it into a skill challenge where they all have to teach the sphynx something valuable

Perhaps the sphinx could reward the group with a riddle-based ability of some sort?  I'm picturing something where they ask a riddle in combat to get, I don't know, temporary advantage by distracting the foe. 

My group *loved* riddles, so much that we always spared the "riddle ogre" we kept encountering while traveling.  Apparently the encounter chart called for a random ogre to show up and attack, and our GM thought that was boring.  He swears we rolled it fair and square the latter 3 times (between basilisks and other less memorable encounters).  I guess it would have tried to eat us, except that we're decent at riddles between the three of us.  Good times!
Could do. This is a beach episode though so I already planned to have environmental buffs, and they hate riddles (or rather, one player loves riddles whilst the rest turn their brains on idle at the hint of a puzzle)

If your players are good roleplayers, you could go double with the standard fey folk payment: one joyful laugh and one sorrowful tear, collected at an unspecified time in the future. Save these for something major and dramatic, and then explain that the character only feels hollow. They know they should be happy or sad, but are so unable to express their emotions that they start doubting themselves. For bonus points, make sure it happens in public.

In a funeral: "Hey! That guy doesn't look sad! He must be the murderer!"
"No I'm not the murderer, I'm just dead inside"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:23 am »

Cruelty of DM on players--

Ennui sphinx asserts it has watched humanity since the days the gods first created them, and has seen no evidence they are anything but animals with a strong case of self-deception. Demands to be shown a human quality it has never seen before; and it must be transcendent in nature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:04 am »

~~~ True Love ~~~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:37 am »

I was going more for "proof of man's divine soul"-- True Love is cliche, and likely something such a sphinx will have "seen" many times.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:41 am »

Bah, divine soul is boring shit, what folks wanna see is high romance.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: August 03, 2020, 09:18:38 am »

Rainbow-sphinx demands you replace a part of your character's sexual preferences or identity as payment. Cis becomes trans, straight becomes gay, asexual becomes pansexual, or so forth.

Reverse-sphinx demands you tell it a riddle, and make it a good one or it will squash you.

Slashfic-sphinx demands the two party members of it's OTP engage in a make-out session.

Philoso-sphinx poses riddles with no answer, from koans to trolley problems, and demands you show enlightenment, such as answering with one of your own.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: August 03, 2020, 09:34:20 am »

All right: sphynxes

What is the best thing a sphynx can do to enact a toll upon players whilst still being fun? Riddles are a bit painful for my group, but I'm thinking of having the sphynx ask them for a story about some theme / to borrow a feature for a day. Yet it seems like either way it'll be a brief interaction, which is a shame

Having them each tell a tale of their most heroic moment sounds like a lot of fun.

Reminds me a bit of the Halloween episode I ran, where each character described their costume. Absolutely no mechanical impact on the game, but enjoyable just to go around the table and have everyone contribute something interesting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: August 03, 2020, 09:35:48 am »

There's no sphinx, just a note:  "OUT TO LUNCH, BE BACK SOON, PLEASE WAIT FOR ME"

The sphinx is actually somewhere else, remote viewing.  If they wait, it'll return in an hour and let them through.  If they betray its trust and go through, it'll put a curse on them.
Shoes...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:30 am »

Some really interesting ideas, tho' I'm not sure why a sphinx is being attributed these kinds of world warping powers, did fifth ed make them genie level beings?

Unrelated, and please don't go off on this, this just really really bothers me.
Cis

Please refrain from the use of this word.  Talk all you want about gender and sexuality, I won't put any damper on those topics (beyond the whole 'on topic' thing), I just don't want to see this word, because I find it offensive as hell when used in this context.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: August 03, 2020, 09:45:13 am »

Some really interesting ideas, tho' I'm not sure why a sphinx is being attributed these kinds of world warping powers, did fifth ed make them genie level beings?
Wizards capable of casting spells up to 5th level. Quite limited reality warping, but powerful enough for some interesting tricks.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:21 am »

Yeah, I can see that.  And based on the sphinx myth I can see where the ideas come from.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8323 on: August 03, 2020, 01:52:40 pm »

Philoso-sphinx poses riddles with no answer, from koans to trolley problems, and demands you show enlightenment, such as answering with one of your own.
I can't believe I've never included a trolley problem situation in a DND dungeon yet

Anyways I've settled on five questions for five adventurers:
1. What was the happiest moment in your life?
2. What was the most heroic moment in your life?
3. What was the saddest moment in your life?
The sphynx is then in the memories of this moment as a spectator who was always there the whole time.

The other sphynx is going to ask:
1. Teach me something I don't already know (borrow one of their skills for a day).
2. Give me one of the syllables in your name (sphynx takes one of the syllables or consonants in their name. Sphynx is going to try and learn the character's true name with this information, resulting in a future campaign hook).

I'm fairly arbitrary when it comes to following the materials DND provide, in that I modify everything I touch. It keeps things fresh and also keeps it interesting for my players, two of which regularly DM and so know a lot of the stuff DND source material has

Speaking of, I'm making a fuckhueg set of tables for custom magic creation. I'm doing it as a table of 5-100, with rolling 5d20 to get the results, ensuring a dominating spread around the centre. Alternatively, just mix and match to your heart's desire. The centre is going to be full of fairly standard effects (giving an item +1, +2, +3, att increases, low level spells e.t.c.) whilst the fringes will be full of the wild effects. I'm making four big tables: magic, curse, artifact and cosmetic.

The cooler magic effects are all things I hope can incentivise player roleplaying and creative thinking, so they're going to be full of things that affect the character's relationship with the environment (wall climbing, water breathing, stealthing, a few low level utility spell or creature effects).

The artifact effects are going to be much stronger magic effects or uniquely powerful effects, like the legendary Breastplate Stretcher of the Mighty Robert (allows the user to resize any heavy armour set), chalked gloves of the LIFT Princess (gives advantage to any athletics check to grapple, climb or LIFT, doubles lift capacity) or the lost Pearl of the Oyster King (casts lvl 9 animate objects. Currently the centrepiece for my beach campaign, where my players are going to retrieve it from the Sand Castle, which is full of animated sand homonculi at war with the Oyster King (it was his pearl), an angel of fate (he gave the pearl to his love), the seven deadly pondlings (they intend to use it to return to life) and a witch, Lady SingLe Tang (she lost the pearl).

The curse effects are either the inverse of the magic effects, corruptions, conditions or any particularly fun drawback, added onto a magic item/artifact in addition to the beneficial effect. I like it when curses are more like glitches, and players are incentivised to use them anyways rather than be forced to make a WIS save to not use it.
For example, the Berserker's Axe, which was a favourite of our whole party as it let us use our party barbarian like a cruise missile.

Lastly the cosmetic effects. Mostly harmless flavour text and adjectives here, however some materials or conditions can have significant impact on the item. E.g. an oversized greatsword or armour too small or too big to wear, the courtly adjective would turn an item into a refined equivalent that may not be the most combat effective wear, target demographic might be something wildly different to the finder of the artifact (e.g. opposite gender, wildly different age or race).

Some more examples I've made so far using the table:

Original item (pair of socks) + magic item effect (+3 to AC) + curse (corruption, dwarven) + cosmetic (adamantine, material) = The Blankets of Victory, a masterwork dwarven pair of socks. If the person wearing the Blankets of Victory is not a Dwarf, every day the wearer is attuned to the Blankets of Victory, roll a DC15 CON Save. On a success nothing occurs. On a failure the wearer grows a beard (if they have none), or their beard grows 5 inches (if they have one). On each successive failure, the wearer's beard grows further, and they lose/gain d6 inches of height until they are between 4 and 5 ft tall. If within this height range, they stop changing height, and no longer need to roll a CON save to avoid beard growth. Instead, the character can choose to willingly grow their beard by 5 inches a day. Greater restoration will restore the character to their former stature, and the beard can be harmlessly shaved off. The socks can also be used to cast charm person one one Dwarf a week (DC15 WIS).

OI (book) + magic effect (casts banishment opd) + cosmetic (target demographic: child) = A copy of the children's book "Fae, Fae, Go Away." Inside the front cover is a written message: 'For my dear Ori,
Never be afraid of the dark. For as long as you have this book with you, you are safe.
Love,
Walden'
Whilst holding this book, you can cast banishment once per day.

OI (cloak) + magic effect (casts invisibility) + curse effect (inversion) + cosmetic (giant cave spider silk) = Cloak of invisibility. When activated, the cloak is always invisible. Does not affect the wearer, however. Stitched onto the cloak is a letter of receipt, stating the cloak was commissioned by the Emperor.

OI (shield) + magic effect (ABI) + curse effect (condition: only works in bright light) + cosmetic (courtly) = The Dayman's Shield of Justice. Increases strength and AC by +2, but only provides the strength bonus when the shield is exposed to bright light.

OI (high boots) + magic effect (enlongening) + cosmetic (courtly) = The Highest Heels. Created at the behest of Tiana the Small, later known as Tiana the Tall. When attuned, the Highest Heels provides +2 dex. For one action, the wearer of the Highest Heels may modify the length of the heel, up to 30ft in length. The sole of the shoe does not rise to match the length of the heel, and the wearer may have to make a DC (5 + every ft of heel) Dex acrobatics save in order to avoid falling over / stumbling in a random direction, at the DM's discretion. At their resting state, the Highest Heels  have a two inch heel.

OI (Helm) + magic effect (casts dominate person/monster) + curse effect (inversion) + cosmetic (battleworn) =  Broken Helm of the Enslaver
The players find the Splintered Helm of the Enslaver beneath the skeleton of its former wearer, with a pickaxe running through the Helm and the skull. After the helm is repaired, it can be worn. Wearing the repaired Helm provides +1 AC and allows the casting of dominate person or dominate creature once per day.
Upon casting either spell, both the wearer and the target make a DC18 WIS save. If both creatures succeed, nothing happens. If one creature fails, they are under the effect of the spell, as if the creature who made the successful saving throw had cast the spell. If both creatures fail, the creature with the highest saving throw rolled is considered the caster of the spell, and the one with the lowest roll is under the spell.

OI (medium leather armour) + magic effect (grants aquatic adaption) + curse effect (corruption, gotta be catfish) + cosmetic (leather) = Tunic of the Deep Cat (grants swim speed, water breathing, nullifies underwater disadvantages on attack rolls or ability checks caused by being underwater). Using the Trident of the Deep Cat for too long causes the character to become sea-adapted on a failed CON save, causing them to air-drown on dry land. Removing the tunic removes all of the benefits it provides, but does not remove sea-adaptation unless greater restoration is cast upon them.

Original item (Wand) + Artifact Effect (lvl 9 fireball) + Curse (inversion) + cosmetic (living, organic material) = Wand of Pyrrhus.
The Wand of Pyrrhus looks like a desiccated human index finger, and brims with the powerful evocation magic of the Archmage Pyrrhus. Once per day it casts a lvl 9 fireball centred around the wielder, also affecting the wielder. It does this once a day and provides the wielder with resistance versus fire damage for the duration of the spell.

Any more ideas for adjectives, effects and modifiers to add to any of the tables?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: August 03, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »

Demands to be shown a human quality it has never seen before; and it must be transcendent in nature.

Tentacle hentai.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 622