Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825315 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8835 on: January 08, 2022, 02:43:56 pm »

Do you have time to give them a sidekick (assuming this is 5e)? I found the sidekick rules in Tasha's and Dragon of Icespire Peak were pretty helpful for shoring up the party in cases like this. You even can have it the side kick be a pet wolf or something. If you don't have either of those, you could also just give them a companion NPC they need to rescue but can then help them out for the rest of the adventure or something.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: January 08, 2022, 04:04:16 pm »

I'll probably have their patron give them two Thugs (CR 1/2) to work with as tanky meatshields. They're only going to meet the patron after the first encounter though, so they're still gonna have to find a way to survive the blink dogs.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: January 09, 2022, 07:15:03 pm »

It sounds like you might want to reconsider balancing your encounters. Although neither druids or warlocks have to be squishy wizard types, Blink dogs, as in, multiple blink dogs would be at least a hard encounter for even for two characters that are particularly powerful at level 1 and if you have more then 2 that'd be beyond deadly. Throwing hard encounters at players at level 1 is a good way to kill the party, no matter what the composition is.

And overall, warlock+druid seems to me to be a pretty decent party composition, the warlock can deal damage and has some nice utility, the druid got lots of utility and healing and at level 2 moon druids are the tankiest class in the game. You might have to be slightly handholding until they get to level 2, but overall for just a two person game, seems like a good mix.

Also 2 thugs would massively overshadow them in any combat situation, a single thug is an appropriate encounter for a level 1 party of 4. This might be fine, but, something to think about.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:28:02 pm by Criptfeind »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8838 on: January 10, 2022, 08:49:56 am »

So I have been overthinking yet again and one thing I have been thinking about is the consequence of a flat world which stretches on to infinity. Already this means that gravity doesn't exist as it does where we are, to avoid everything getting pulled towards the new centre of the world. Which means there is an objective down, and an objective up. No problem in a world where everything is managed by divine shenanigens. I ended up in this bowl of nightmares by trying to create a setting where every star is uniformly spaced in a grid across the sky, and there were endless expanses going each four corner - truly endless. Some of the questions I've posited:

• Multiple suns, moons and stars would be needed to patrol every quarter of the world? I rather like this idea. Also allows for quarters of the world with unusual stellar arrangements, or quarters where their local sun is missing or locked in place.
  • What is ultimate up and ultimate down, or is it also endless? I like the idea of digging deep into the HFS on land whilst the ocean just keeps going past the abyss into ever deeper stretches of infinite water. Maybe if you keep going you end up on someone else's layer of perpetual horizontalness, e.g. your ocean is their sky.
  • A local area's sun would have to roam in a circle to give people day/night cycle. There may even need to be a whole train of moons and suns in order to give a proper day/night cycle?
  • What's happening with shadows, light levels and seasons? If the sun & moon parade is rotating around in a circle, then instead of having a temperate seasonal north & a tropical/arid equator, there'll probably be a seasonal tropical/arid perimeter and an eternally springtime temperate core. Will the absolute core be snowy all the time?
  • If you were to take a rocket ship up, how far out could you see before the absolute flatness could not be discerned any further?
  • What happens to wind cycles if the atmosphere is infinite?
  • An astronomer makes a telescope and gazes at the stars. What do they see?

*EDIT
One possible alternative which I think would be a worthy system, would be instead of having a caravan of stellar objects, have a chain of suns and moons, but they turn off and on depending on the time it's supposed to be on the ground. So the suns are fixed objects in the sky but appear to be just one sun moving
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:46:38 am by Loud Whispers »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: January 10, 2022, 12:59:59 pm »

*EDIT
One possible alternative which I think would be a worthy system, would be instead of having a caravan of stellar objects, have a chain of suns and moons, but they turn off and on depending on the time it's supposed to be on the ground. So the suns are fixed objects in the sky but appear to be just one sun moving

Oh, so more like those xmas lights that turn on and off in patters so they look like they're moving. I was imagining it was the same time everywhere, and the suns just dimmed in the evening, then the moons took over. I suppose part of knowing exactly what is there would be the question 'Why?'. Whoever created the system did so for a reason, so they must have set things up to serve that purpose. That also leaves the option that things that aren't actually useful for that purpose could be done just well enough that most people wouldn't question it. After all, they haven't experienced anything else, so how would they know it's different. Kind of like the planet in HHGTTG with no stars.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:03:06 pm by Iduno »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8840 on: January 10, 2022, 04:34:30 pm »

Oh, so more like those xmas lights that turn on and off in patters so they look like they're moving. I was imagining it was the same time everywhere, and the suns just dimmed in the evening, then the moons took over. I suppose part of knowing exactly what is there would be the question 'Why?'. Whoever created the system did so for a reason, so they must have set things up to serve that purpose. That also leaves the option that things that aren't actually useful for that purpose could be done just well enough that most people wouldn't question it. After all, they haven't experienced anything else, so how would they know it's different. Kind of like the planet in HHGTTG with no stars.
Lmao having the suns just dimmer switch off from a fixed grid makes a lot of sense. Could even have some pretty gnarly imagery where solar eclipses are pretty common whenever the local moon fills like it's not getting enough attention. But I think having the idea of a "direction" like you say, introduces some interesting questions. Scholars would probably be arguing for milennia over why exactly the sun is ordained to rise eastwards and set westwards when it takes much more effort than a fixed position sun with a dimmer switch. Whole exploration fleets would probably disappear over the endless horizon trying to find the answer of what lies beyond that sunny shore

THE SUNS THE SUNS THE SUNS

I also like that with a migrating sun pattern, you can explain why there is a sunset. The pattern has just migrated to another quarter. Doesn't explain why there's a pattern too, which adds to the mystery

*EDIT
Oh hell yeah, you could have really funky patterns too. If they are all perfectly parallel, then you can tell a person's been incredibly well traveled if they've crossed their second or third equator. If they're not all parallel then what pattern are the suns traveling in? Is there a global point where they all convene? Or are they crisscrossing like a diamond grid?
I think for an infinite flat world a parallel series is an inevitable evil. But I do love the idea of travelers crossing that second equator knowing on some spiritual level that they are the furthest from home they could be
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 04:54:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: January 11, 2022, 12:52:54 pm »

You also might be able to look up some of the old Planescape stuff to see if they have weird descriptions, because a lot of that took place on infinite planes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8842 on: January 12, 2022, 12:39:48 pm »

You also might be able to look up some of the old Planescape stuff to see if they have weird descriptions, because a lot of that took place on infinite planes.
Most of that stuff is fairly barren by design; a framework for DMs to come up with their own realms, and what stuff they do provide is just... Empty

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: January 14, 2022, 07:07:41 pm »

Most of that stuff is fairly barren by design; a framework for DMs to come up with their own realms, and what stuff they do provide is just... Empty

"So the para-elemental plane of smoke, right?  The air's smoke, the ground's smoke, the inhabitants are smoke, the fuck am I supposed to do with an entire realm of smoke?"

"You smoke it"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: January 15, 2022, 02:18:08 am »

But can you get high off the smoke in the plane of smoke?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8845 on: January 15, 2022, 05:46:14 am »

"So the para-elemental plane of smoke, right?  The air's smoke, the ground's smoke, the inhabitants are smoke, the fuck am I supposed to do with an entire realm of smoke?"

"You smoke it"
"YOU CANNOT KILL ME MAJOR LAZER!" - Weed Elemental
"Why kill weed... When I can smoke weed?" - Major Lazer

That was a good show btw. Can recommend
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:47:58 am by Loud Whispers »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: January 17, 2022, 07:57:38 pm »

I just realized my character is the only good character in my party.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: January 17, 2022, 08:28:33 pm »

I just realized my character is the only good character in my party.

That's chaotic.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: January 17, 2022, 11:27:33 pm »

I can't help but think of the scenario where every member of that party thinks that :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: January 18, 2022, 04:32:03 am »

So we had an... Interesting DnD session last night.

Was all good, chopping some kobolds, I'm swinging for 7d6 these days so that has some decent slap to it... And then the white dragon and its rider showed up again for round 2 after getting reasonably trounced by us earlier in the day.

I ran over to try and keep the squishies alive (one of which who was already down and being stomped on by the rider), and looked on in horror as the other party members ran in close to add their DPS against the rider. That's when the dragon swooped back into view again.

Total wipe. If it'd been a DEX save I probably could've leveraged my shiny new Evasion to stay conscious and save everyone, but white dragon breath is CON... I succeeded on the saving throw, but half of 44 cold damage is still more than 18 hp. While I lay unconscious on death's door in the snow, my companions around me drew what would be their final breaths.

Of the five characters who ventured into those mountains, two walked out. Forever scarred by the experience. F.
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 622