Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849155 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #9015 on: June 11, 2022, 06:38:11 am »

Dumb thought.

Fantasy settings often have giant invertebrates, spiders and centipedes and ants and so on.

Does this mean that there are also giant version of the animals that eat them?

Specifically, does this mean a giant threadsnake could exist?

Imagine it, a giant, toothless blind serpent with no teeth that just wants to chow down on giant ant eggs and larva. It pays no heed to anything else, other than being scared of light, it just wants to slither around like a giant derpmonster eating giant bug eggs.

I've always liked the idea of giant earth worm/snake creatures that instead of being Dune- or Tremors-like arch-predators they're just whale-like, tranquil giant things that peacefully makes their way through the desert sustaining themselves of off something miniscule like sand plankton
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: June 11, 2022, 01:03:09 pm »

The Blind vs Blind thing is what makes Devil's Sight Warlocks with Darkness a strong combo. Casting Darkness has basically no downsides in combat for anyone but ranged characters, and a DS warlock gets advantage to hit and disadvantage to be hit.

Well, yes and no... RAW, it also doesn't make any difference for archers, since they're apparently allowed to shoot at people they can't actually see so long as the target is within range. As long as it's a weapon attack, they're free to fire in and/or out of heavily obscuring effects as a neutral roll.

However, it is a major handicap for casters. A huge number of spells specify "a creature/point/target within range you can see", which then gets specifically blocked by anything that prevents vision. Including stuff like poison spray, which only has a 10' range.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: June 11, 2022, 02:58:01 pm »

I've always liked the idea of giant earth worm/snake creatures that instead of being Dune- or Tremors-like arch-predators they're just whale-like, tranquil giant things that peacefully makes their way through the desert sustaining themselves of off something miniscule like sand plankton

And now I have the weird idea of a day/night migration done by tiny animals that live in the sand of a desert to avoid the worst extremes of temperature but still gather enough light and heat for various processes.

The desert sands changing colour in the morning and late evening as tiny creatures rise up to photosynthesize, then changing back to normal as they sink to avoid the midday sun and the overnight frost.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: June 17, 2022, 11:50:06 pm »

https://twitter.com/MEdwardsVA/status/1463377542979764228
an "adversarial" DM? The DM is a manufacturer of adversaries, their director, but never an adversary themselves. To smother imagination out of a desire for stability is a crime but I ask you, bard, do you not share in this social contract? No, I will not let you have a katana
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: June 19, 2022, 09:18:17 am »

Faerun... what could make Fae run
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: June 19, 2022, 10:29:28 am »

Faerun... what could make Fae run
threat of cold iron enema
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: June 19, 2022, 10:44:18 am »

I was going to say cold iron golem but I couldn't recall if I had the name of the metal they are vulnerable to correct.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: June 19, 2022, 10:57:26 am »

I had trouble remembering which is good against demons until I realized that it's the same as for fae.  So apparently cold iron is anathema to chaotic beings, whereas silver is good against devils for some reason.

Wait why are devils vulnerable to silver when they're literally fallen celestials...  Wait what are angels vulnerable to...?  (Evil-aligned weapons apparently, and devils are vulnerable to both Good and silver.  So something about the fall to evil made these celestials vulnerable to silver.)

This is all for 3.5
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: June 19, 2022, 12:14:35 pm »

cold iron golem

This is almost catchy.

The silver thing is about associations of purity.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: June 19, 2022, 12:36:25 pm »

Clearly devils are former angels infected by some kind of evil bacterial infection which may be cleansed by silver's anti-microbial properties.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: June 19, 2022, 12:52:19 pm »

wait, does that mean celestials have blue skin due to silver overdose
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: June 20, 2022, 09:03:02 pm »

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: June 21, 2022, 04:11:08 am »

It's the only thing that makes sense.

"They don't call me Serenar Silvernose for nothing!"
*snrrrrt*

Also, I knew that Star Druid's dragon form was kinda ridiculous, but I didn't realize just how ridiculous until something occurred to me just now.

In addition to the amazing concentration save boost, "any Wisdom or Intelligence check" that rolls 9 or lower counts as having rolled a 10. Seems mostly like RP/circumstantial benefit, but then it dawns on you that Dispel Magic calls for an ability check with your spellcasting modifier. ...which, as a Druid, is Wisdom.

A level 5 Stars druid with 20 WIS (achievable with Custom Lineage) can automatically dispel any magic cast at 5th level or lower, using a 3rd level slot. They don't even have 5th-level slots themselves. Even if you're not going all out with custom lineage tomfoolery, it's still easy to have an 18 at that point, meaning anything of 4th or lower is guaranteed gone.

The stars (hah) have aligned and you're playing a high-level game? Okay. Stars 2/Abjurer 10 can Dispel or Counterspell any magic cast at 9th level or lower, using a 3rd-level slot. Because it covers Intelligence checks too, which is what you'd be making if casting as a Wiz. Congratulations on ruining everything magic-related.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9028 on: July 03, 2022, 01:16:55 pm »

Lmao that's a nice little find Kagus

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: July 03, 2022, 05:29:41 pm »

I'm honestly a little upset with myself for putting that together, as I'm never going to play anything like that on account of it being too busted in an unfun "just say no to anything actually happening" way. But it's still rattling around in my head because it's just so stupid. I had to tell somebody.

And that's coming from someone who would absolutely play the "+9 to a save at level 2" build I've also been fiddling with.

As an aside, apparently it's official that activating the artificer's "spell-storing item" is specifically the "Use an Item" action. Meaning that Thieves can do it as a bonus action.

Because that's fine.
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 623