Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845532 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #9105 on: September 11, 2022, 03:08:40 pm »

Actually I think I pinned down the dream-inspiration. There's an SCP, I assume based on the nuckelavee, which are centaur-like things that search battlefields and target wounded people. Some part of it is the diary of a WWI soldier talking about them, finally mentioning his friend disappeared and he saw one that looked like him.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: September 12, 2022, 03:58:12 am »

Sounds pretty metal.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9107 on: September 14, 2022, 02:08:09 pm »

Actually I think I pinned down the dream-inspiration. There's an SCP, I assume based on the nuckelavee, which are centaur-like things that search battlefields and target wounded people. Some part of it is the diary of a WWI soldier talking about them, finally mentioning his friend disappeared and he saw one that looked like him.
A dark fantasy WWI setting where all the dead horses, cavalrymen and porters start getting fused in the trenches is really brutal and metal

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: September 14, 2022, 02:20:43 pm »

A dark fantasy WWI setting where all the dead horses, cavalrymen and porters start getting fused in the trenches is really brutal and metal
"The spasmodically squirming, braying, and snorting half-corpses were heaped each upon the other, until at last I was rid of them. The warrens had become a landfill of snout and hoof, gristle and bone - a mountainous, twitching mass of misshapen flesh, fusing itself together in the darkness."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9109 on: September 14, 2022, 03:00:23 pm »

"The spasmodically squirming, braying, and snorting half-corpses were heaped each upon the other, until at last I was rid of them. The warrens had become a landfill of snout and hoof, gristle and bone - a mountainous, twitching mass of misshapen flesh, fusing itself together in the darkness."
'Oh yeah the papers always liked to rile everyone up with big tales of the trench beasts, but really it was no big problem. You just kept your lanterns lit and your bayonet sharp, and a few prods and the thing would scurry away. They're scavengers looking for an easy meal. They don't like resistance.'
'So... What do you do if you don't have your bayonet?'
'That's the thing - you never let go of it. Not in the trenches.'

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: September 14, 2022, 07:01:15 pm »

The good news is that most of the trench beasts get killed under artillery barrages, while you hide in safe dugouts. The bad news is that the remaining ones are angry.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: September 14, 2022, 08:52:56 pm »

That's what the flamethrowers are for.

You know, now I'm wanting some sort of game or book series or something set mid-WWI where just overnight there was some sort of utterly undirected supernatural invasion. There's no major intelligence behind it or anything, just the world, all geared up to be killing one another suddenly rediscovering the fear of the lion on the savannah.

Only these lions are unnatural monstrosities with significantly more body parts than they have any right to own.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: September 14, 2022, 09:16:26 pm »

since we're in the RPG thread, would make for an amusing horror oneshot probably.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: September 15, 2022, 02:26:39 am »

That's what the flamethrowers are for.

You know, now I'm wanting some sort of game or book series or something set mid-WWI where just overnight there was some sort of utterly undirected supernatural invasion. There's no major intelligence behind it or anything, just the world, all geared up to be killing one another suddenly rediscovering the fear of the lion on the savannah.

Only these lions are unnatural monstrosities with significantly more body parts than they have any right to own.

I mean, that's more or less the plot (such as it is) behind Necrovision. Also kinda Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, but there I think they have to specifically track down the gribblies instead of just having all the lines suddenly overrun by them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: September 15, 2022, 05:00:31 am »

WWI seems like an under used back drop for horror games, wish more stuff would use it.

Also I'd play this WWI horror thing if someone ran it here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: September 16, 2022, 09:30:47 pm »

I've been deep thread-diving and I'm nostalgic for liches.  My group's DM loved them, made a whole state of them (along with ghouls and other undead).  Necropolitan mortals, too, studying to become liches using special gems (vampiric diamonds?) mined by the proletariat.

What I'm wondering is:  Where the heck should a lich's phylactery be?
Order Of The Stick has Xykon hiding it (heh) away in an unthinkable (heh) corner of the astral plane.  That seems like the obvious choice, even for a sorcerer-lich.
On the flipside, what makes for the best story?

My favorite was a story where the phylactery was embedded in the father of one of the PCs or something, for pathos.  That might have been Penny Arcade and it didn't make much sense.  I guess a ridiculously popular fantasy author who-should-not-be-named pulled something similar.  But it's supposed to just be an object.  Can finding a magic item make a good coda to defeating a lich, already a terribly powerful end-boss?  I think it can, but it needs preparation.

In our campaign the society of liches just had a special vault for their phylacteries and we basically had no chance at true-deathing any of them.  That mostly turned out fine, as we "ended" a high-ranking but spiteful lich general into greater and greater fury until he/it became a ragemancer.

I have no idea how he became a general in a geniocracy/technocracy like this.  He was exceptionally stupid and impetuous.  I think... I think he was just good at torturing and scaring people, honestly.
maybe a sorcerer

Edit:  Haha 2013 but:  Don't you know?  You never split the party!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:47:05 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: September 16, 2022, 10:20:07 pm »

There is precedent for a phylactery being inside of a living thing, though not necessarily being the thing itself. They're based on Koschei the Deathless, who had his soul hidden inside an egg, and then hid that egg inside animals who were themselves inside other animals (usually a hare and a duck IIRC, though I cannot recall the order,) with the outermost animal being hidden in a location, such as a tree.

I like the idea of a lich putting their phylactery into something that's really valuable or powerful, such that keeping the phylactery intact in order to use it is genuinely tempting. Powerful swords, magical horses, nigh-impervious suits of armour and so on. Stick your soul into something of extraordinary value, give that something away as a gift and let it build reputation until almost no one could turn down the chance to keep it for themselves. It's no secret that the item is a phylactery, it's just also really nice, and you don't leap to being obviously malevolent until it's had time to become a desirable artifact.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: September 16, 2022, 10:22:45 pm »

Don't liches need access to their souljars in order to feed by cramming other people's souls into it? Which they need to do in order to remain "sane"?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: September 16, 2022, 10:46:55 pm »

Don't liches need access to their souljars in order to feed by cramming other people's souls into it? Which they need to do in order to remain "sane"?
This is the kinda thing I was sorta wondering about.  I never heard that though, not when I was playing.  We didn't have any liches after we switched to 5e though, so maybe?
Skeletons and other mindless undead similarly changed in fundamental nature.  Instead of animating some bones, it became a soul lock.  I guess??  I don't know 5e necromancy well, I think our GM didn't like the changes or was tired of using undead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: September 16, 2022, 10:49:23 pm »

You can probably make it work any way you want, but I got that from the 5e monster manual. Liches keep the Soul Jar spell prepared and use that to shove people into their soul jar. If if they don't do that they don't die but do go maaaaad and turn into demiliches.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 623