Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 237972 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »

((IC up))

Heavily inspired by Kilojoule Proton's game "Ye Gods" that went on at this forum a little while ago. I thought about doing a more straight-up reboot, but knew very well I couldn't hope to survive the workload that would bring me  :P.

This game will start as a simple God game. Almost a completely blank slate, letting the players create the universe in the image they wish. At the start, creating something like a planet will be quite a difficult and expensive feet. Much of the back story and more obscure rules will be hidden, letting the players find out themselves in-character which is always fun~. Any questions and price checks will go here, which will become an OOC when the game starts.

I will probably start the game on Saturday, if there is enough interest. From there on, I will attempt to do 1 tick a day where actions will be processed and everyone's regeneration will happen. If I end up getting to overworked to make that, I will let everyone know of this and change the ticks to something that works better for me.

Honestly, I thought about putting off this games creation until tomorrow, but I got the mechanics down while at work and decided to get this posted before I forgot them all! Yay! I will edit this to make it make more sense and become better written when I am less tired. For now, lets just see if anyone is even interested.

Name: ...I am not sure. If you figure this out, please inform me.
Sphere: What you have domain over. Actions in your sphere get a bonus and are cheaper, while objects against them are more expensive. You can have one "Primary" sphere and one "Secondary" sphere.
Primary form/associated symbol: What icon your God likes to spam on everything, and what form it takes.
Description/Background: General character description, including things like personality, open goals, or whatever else you feel like putting in.

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:33:40 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »

Player List:
Name:Essence/Power/Crux
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full character sheets organized by FargHalfnr.

Creation Summery by Demonic Spoon.

Demonic Spoon Creation summary second post.

There isn't much else to write right now. When the game starts, you will simply appear in the blank-slate "Void", with the world being created almost entirely by the players.

...What have I gotten myself into?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:31:28 am by Stirk »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »

I will PM so many secret actions. I will assume everything about the world and the mechanics. I will come back from permadeath each and every time. I will veto other gods' actions. I will create obvious clones of aspects of popular media. I will not stop. I will not rest. I will continue until you drown so deeply under work that you quit the game entirely. This is my goal.

jk lol

But seriously, glad to see a successor to Ye Gods whose mechanics I like. Might want to do something like the original Ye Gods OOC did and format the OP. Makes it easier and nicer to read.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:41:52 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:36:06 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »

Both accepted!

I will PM so many secret actions. I will assume everything about the world and the mechanics. I will come back from permadeath each and every time. I will veto other gods' actions. I will make create obvious clones of aspects of popular media. I will not stop. I will not rest. I will continue until you drown so deeply under work that you quit the game entirely. This is my goal.

Ha. I don't need YOU to make me quit my games!

I will probably organize the OP tomorrow, when I do the editing.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »

I left the 'Malakath' in there by accident. :P It's been removed.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:34:27 pm »

I left the 'Malakath' in there by accident. :P It's been removed.

I'm keeping it.  ::)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »

Also accepted! Good to see someone is going with tentacles when I cannot myself.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (2/⊕∵↯)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 10:51:09 pm »

I'm assuming being nemeses with another god is allowed? That is, to deliberately choose spheres that directly oppose those of other gods?

Spoiler: Aurosseu (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:39:41 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 10:52:17 pm »

Also accepted! Good to see someone is going with tentacles when I cannot myself.
Genuinely thankful that you started a game that you know you yourself can't participate in. It's pretty selfless of you.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:50 pm »

Genuinely thankful that you started a game that you know you yourself can't participate in. It's pretty selfless of you.

Ehh? Not really. I have probably DMed more then I played games. It is jut another part of the game, if it wasn't any fun we wouldn't have hundreds of them on this forum alone.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (2/⊕∵↯)
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:14:06 pm »

So will this be both the IC/OOC thread, will you make an OOC thread, or will we use the old Ye Gods OOC thread as this one's?
How does magic work?
Can Power be used for carving? (Statues, wall-engravings, etc.)
Angels?
Dimensions? Planes?
How do we ask for price checks?
Is a primary sphere more powerful if the god who has it has no secondary sphere?
How long does a Tick last in-game?
Are there discounts for multiple gods working together on a project?
Can a god damage another god without using E/P/C? (Swinging at them with a sword, for example.)
Will you let Rolepgeek play?
Do we get any unique starting knowledge based on our spheres? (Would a god of Souls know how souls work, for example.)
Do gods have souls?
Will non-sentience/sentience/sapience be used like in Ye Gods?
What are the physical sizes of the gods? Does physical size matter when it comes to godly combat?
You've made it much easier to destroy things than it is to create. Are you sure that's wise? In Ye Gods destruction was just as costly as creation and there was still a lot of conflict.
Can Power be used in an explosive fashion?
Jelly rolls?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (3/⊕∵↯)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 11:29:58 pm »

Looks pretty cool.

I'll try a less abstract sphere, I think. That might help. FAKEDIT: Well, everyone else did concepts...maybe I can too.

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (3/⊕∵↯)
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:51 pm »

Oi vey. What have I gotten myself into?

So will this be both the IC/OOC thread, will you make an OOC thread, or will we use the old Ye Gods OOC thread as this one's?

I will consider it a desperate game for all intents and purposes. This thread will become the OOC when the game starts, with a new IC forming.

How does magic work?

Blank slate. There is no naturally occurring magic that Gods are aware of. If the Gods want a magic system, they can develop a weak one themselves or a universal one together.

There *is* also a mysterious ambient energy all Gods are instinctively aware is known as "Magic", however it is separated from this world. Think of it like an energy trapped behind a foggy pane of bulletproof glass, they can see something on the other side but can not get to it. A coordinated effort from multiple gods could put a hole in the glass, giving magic to mortals, but you would not understand how it works.

Can Power be used for carving? (Statues, wall-engravings, etc.)

Anything caused indirectly by Power stays once the effects wear off. Carvings stay. If you blessed a city with a magic raincloud that grows crops to instantly grow, the cloud would vanish but the crops that had been grown would stay. If you abuse this, then whatever you try won't work  :P.

Angels?

I don't have any template for them. Blank slate. If you want any kind of Angelic being, simply create them as you would a normal creation.

Dimensions? Planes?

You have no natural knowlage of Dimensions and Planes.

How do we ask for price checks?

Same way as in Ye Gods. A series of dollar signs ($$$) above your post with a question about what you want, with any and all features it has, posted in this thread. This will be made more clear in tomorrow's edit.

Is a primary sphere more powerful if the god who has it has no secondary sphere?

No. You may, however, choose a second sphere at any time if you do not have one, giving you some versatility that you would otherwise lack.

How long does a Tick last in-game?

Variable, in the same vein as Ye-Gods. As long as they need to be to be interesting. This is likely due to the chaotic and unpredictable nature of the "Power". The destructive energy seems to be destroyed faster if more is going on during a time period.

Are there discounts for multiple gods working together on a project?

Yes, as mentioned in the OP.

Can a god damage another god without using E/P/C? (Swinging at them with a sword, for example.)

Yes, and no. A sword that is powerful enough, blessed in a special way, or other open-ended things can damage a god without additional expenditure of anything. To get to that point, they would have to be created with some sort of energy. You can't just punch another God and expect them to die without someone or something expending energy. Even direct energy expenditure is unlikely to damage a God without a specially made weapon.

Will you let Rolepgeek play?

Of course. He probably played a quarter of my games already (starting with the first one I did on these forums), I don't see any reason to start banning him from them now.

Do we get any unique starting knowledge based on our spheres? (Would a god of Souls know how souls work, for example.)

You will likely get bonuses to anything related to researching your own spheres, as you would with anything else related with your sphere. You do not have any special inherent knowlage, though I may give you "feelings" to steer you in the right path.

Do gods have souls?

*Shrugs*

Will non-sentience/sentience/sapience be used like in Ye Gods?

I will say "Yes" for now. The reality may be more confusing in practice, but it will be enough for price checks and creation (For example, trying to create a sapient being out of Power will probably act oddly).

What are the physical sizes of the gods? Does physical size matter when it comes to godly combat?

That is two questions! You are throwing the entire system off! Question 1, Whatever the Gods want them to be as long as it doesn't effect anything. If it does, then whatever they want it to be with cost based on the effect. 2, Not at all, unless it is explicitly a side effect from spending energy. Example: A god that normally takes the form of a single cell of bacteria would receive no bonuses or penalties for normal combat. If a human-sized God spent Power to shrink himself to a single cell with the specific intent of making himself more difficult to hit, he would likely receive the intended bonuses.

You've made it much easier to destroy things than it is to create. Are you sure that's wise? In Ye Gods destruction was just as costly as creation and there was still a lot of conflict.

Power doesn't have to be used to destroy, it can have nondestructive uses. The system is generally supposed to make it more easy to create then it was in Ye Gods. For example, I disconnected "Hit Points" and "Essence" so that paranoid Gods could spend as much as they want without fear of dying. Power itself is meant to benefit more active Gods, by letting them spend things without loosing essence, in turn making them spend more essence on creation. Besides that-Conflict was one of the most fun parts of Ye Gods.

Can Power be used in an explosive fashion?

The use of energy is only limited by your imagination. So yes.

Jelly rolls?

I haven't eaten in two weeks, sustaining myself on rootbeer alone, and have never eaten a jellyroll in my life. You will have to satisfy yourself with weaponry jabbed into any place I can fit it.

Looks pretty cool.

I'll try a less abstract sphere, I think. That might help. FAKEDIT: Well, everyone else did concepts...maybe I can too.

Accepted. We had a lot of concepts in the last game too, no clue why.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 166