Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 236828 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (20/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #825 on: June 04, 2015, 01:07:47 pm »

Exactly what I had in mind. Probably won't do anything to block a metal sword, but people seems to have nothing better than clay shards at the moment in terms of weapons, so I've figured it might be able to block a few blows. That or make a predator's job harder to gain some time.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 04, 2015, 01:18:44 pm »

The problem with making armour from rope is that it tears up completely if only one bit of it is cut. A more effective and historically accurate fabric armour would be linothorax.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 04, 2015, 02:08:24 pm »

Posting my character sheet (assuming you're still accepting them?).

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 04, 2015, 02:21:41 pm »

So many gods with spheres pertaining to psychology... Not that it's a bad thing, but surprisingly few have actual creative spheres to actually make some things to mess with the minds of.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:51 pm »

The problem with making armour from rope is that it tears up completely if only one bit of it is cut. A more effective and historically accurate fabric armour would be linothorax.
That seems a bit too complex. They are merchants after all, not warriors. And about tearing up completely, what do you mean? It's basically chainmail but with thick ropes instead of metal.

Spoiler: Shar Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Added you to the list.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 04, 2015, 02:33:49 pm »

What I'm going for is the actual minds within the brains and how I make something from that, like psionic and psychic powers and stuff. Well, better start reading up on what's already been done.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 04, 2015, 02:36:56 pm »

Yay, another color changer! I think Shar and Alicia are going to get along just fine.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 04, 2015, 02:43:44 pm »

That seems a bit too complex. They are merchants after all, not warriors. And about tearing up completely, what do you mean? It's basically chainmail but with thick ropes instead of metal.
Chainmail is not actually made from chain, but metal rings in a geometric pattern, usually hexagonal. If a blow breaks one of the rings, the others still remain connected. This is also the case with linothorax. However, rope is only hard enough to turn blades when its very tight. A blow will cut some of the fiber, weakening the rope and loosening it. This also makes it easier to break and loosen other nearby parts of the suit. As the ropes loosen, the armour becomes less and less effective, and will soon fall apart entirely.

people seems to have nothing better than clay shards at the moment in terms of weapons
Apropos, about this from earlier: ceramic blades can actually be made sharper than metallic ones. They weren't popular in old times because they degrade quickly if not made perfectly (almost impossible without technology), but they are starting to become somewhat common in modern kitchens.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 04, 2015, 02:57:11 pm »

Chainmail is not actually made from chain, but metal rings in a geometric pattern, usually hexagonal. If a blow breaks one of the rings, the others still remain connected. This is also the case with linothorax. However, rope is only hard enough to turn blades when its very tight. A blow will cut some of the fiber, weakening the rope and loosening it. This also makes it easier to break and loosen other nearby parts of the suit. As the ropes loosen, the armour becomes less and less effective, and will soon fall apart entirely.

people seems to have nothing better than clay shards at the moment in terms of weapons
Apropos, about this from earlier: ceramic blades can actually be made sharper than metallic ones. They weren't popular in old times because they degrade quickly if not made perfectly (almost impossible without technology), but they are starting to become somewhat common in modern kitchens.

Yes, rope rings, that's what I meant. I somehow forgot the word (that seems to happen quite often to me). But again, this is just supposed to block a blow or two at max. The goal is to survive an ambush or a theft attempt, since again, they are not soldiers. This isn't meant to be used for a real battle or war, just a little bit of protection for emergency situations.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 04, 2015, 04:33:05 pm »

I drew a Maag trader, along with the other stuff I made in the game. I think I'll try drawing each thing I make in the future because I suck at explaining things.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is great! As for imperfections, I didn't see any. Your art style is really nice to look at.

Linothorax means glue which means animal fat which means Humans. If they can make glue, they can probably make linothorax.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 04, 2015, 04:40:19 pm »

The Maag are so cute. And probably a better race for Uztot to leech off of than Humanity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 04, 2015, 04:45:42 pm »

What are the pantheon mechanics? If three gods in a pantheon work together to perform an action, will the action be cheaper or more powerful than if it were done by just three gods working together?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 04, 2015, 04:48:50 pm »

What are the pantheon mechanics? If three gods in a pantheon work together to perform an action, will the action be cheaper or more powerful than if it were done by just three gods working together?
Either or, i wouold assume. If something costs 1 E to do, and 3 gods all put in 1 E, it'd be more powerful. If each god put in .33 E it'd be cheaper.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 04, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »

Either or, i wouold assume. If something costs 1 E to do, and 3 gods all put in 1 E, it'd be more powerful. If each god put in .33 E it'd be cheaper.
Not what I meant. Let's say you want to fire a 3E fireball. You can fire it yourself. If you fire it with multiple people, the price per person drops from 1E each to 0-1E each due to the group discount. I want to know if being in a pantheon with those three people would give an even bigger discount, if the fireball would get a damage bonus from being made by a pantheon, or both.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 04, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »

The Maag are so cute. And probably a better race for Uztot to leech off of than Humanity.

Thanks! And yeah, I guess they might be better for your character, I envision them as a very united species. If you feel like working on that go ahead, you'll probably get some worship from them too. We might want to do that IC though. Just saying I'd be open to the idea.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 166