Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blinking names  (Read 7614 times)

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blinking names
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

Hi, probably a silly question, but again my searching ability has turned up nothing...

I've got a few dwarves that have blinking names (bright to dark), even my sheriff is blinking now.

I didn't think anything of this before since I viewed everything I could about them... happy about everything and clothed and perfect health (all white limbs).  But, now that I upgraded to 33d my legendary miner has critical feet and seems to have "blown up."  I was just going about my business checking on farms and other shops when I noticed smoke from the food stockpile.  And there was my miner, next to no feet and smoking up a large area of the fort... then dead--and no more smoke.

Also, no messages about anything in the log.

I'm guessing the upgraing killed the dwarf, but now I really want to know what the blinking names mean (when he was critical (no feet) his name blinked red/yellow).

Thanks in advance.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blinking names
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

You probably should have posted this in questions, but whatever.

Blinking names means the dwarf has reached legendary status in something.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

Blinking names in the unit screen ('u') means they have at least one legendary skill (Legendary miner, etc). This is a good thing.

I have no idea what would have made your miner's feet detach from the miner's body and then explode, though. Only thing I can think of is you gave him channeling orders a few Z-levels up and he channeled out the floor from under himself, caused a cave-in, and his body splattered when he hit the ground.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

OK, hope someone moves it to the questions then   :o

yeah, the miner was just going in for a drink after taking a nap or someting.

thanks for the fast responce btw, blinking = good then  :D (of course unless its red meaning they are dieing... I figured that one out myself :P)

Demosthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by corc:
<STRONG>but now I really want to know what the blinking names mean (when he was critical (no feet) his name blinked red/yellow).</STRONG>

Other blinking means that they're at legendary status, but I believe Blinking red/yellow means they're on fire. He probably caught fire somehow. If there was an "explosion" he probably lit the booze on fire, and it exploded.

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

storing charcol nearby a smelter/furnace will cause fires burning down nearby items
storing booze next to a smelter i assume does the same

as for randomly exploding booze and falling dwarves thats really something you need to show us pictures of

though when dwarves fall they usually dont land on their feet, they tend to hit their heads and destroy a few limbs

dont just behead, i behemoth!

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

The SSs are actually really boring.  I tried playing the game for a bit more and then converting to 33d but he still loses his feet.  This latest time was while picking mushrooms... he got to bed this time but left a trail of smoke the whole way and died in his bed shortly after.

I'm in the process of making a channel of water so wouldbe doctors wouldnt have to walk so far with a bucket (because one dwarf actually started to to that (I think...)).

I hate losing my dwarves and even more so to something random like this  :(

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Think I figured it out.  I turned off Temperature in the Init awhile back and never turned it back on.

This miner must have walked into lava/magma to do something but came out fine since the temperature doesn't matter but now it does and his feet burn off.

Wonder how I can get him to take a break and dip his feet into the river/lake outside...

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Think I figured it out.  I turned off Temperature in the Init awhile back and never turned it back on.

This miner must have walked into lava/magma to do something but came out fine since the temperature doesn't matter but now it does and his feet burn off.</STRONG>

You might want to double-check your init.txt.  When you upgraded, it may have gotten overwritten, leading to temperature being turned back on.  If you turn it back off, everything should be fine.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Wonder how I can get him to take a break and dip his feet into the river/lake outside...</STRONG>

You could make a tiny pool next to your water source(built walls work, just need a ramp up; this avoids doing anything perminent), and fill it to 1-4/7 water via bucket, then conscript him and station him there, or just give him a a mining job that's force him in.

Does he have the !!on fire!! marks around his name, or anything he's wearing/carrying?

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Wolfius ]

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

"Help help! My dwarf's feet exploded!" lol... Only in DF!

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

Also, dwarves' names blink really fast from red to yellow if they fall into magma.

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Erasmus Darwin:
<STRONG>

You might want to double-check your init.txt.  When you upgraded, it may have gotten overwritten, leading to temperature being turned back on.  If you turn it back off, everything should be fine.</STRONG>

yup exactly, that's how I figured it out, I went and tested one by one the difference init files :/

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>

You could make a tiny pool next to your water source(built walls work, just need a ramp up; this avoids doing anything perminent), and fill it to 1-4/7 water via bucket, then conscript him and station him there, or just give him a a mining job that's force him in.

Does he have the !!on fire!! marks around his name, or anything he's wearing/carrying?
</STRONG>

awesome idea, and nope, no !!on fire!! flags, just a trail of smoke and his feet red and the blinking red/yellow name.

I would like to turn temperature back on though, would be nice to see my river freeze over.

But, I think I decided to start another fortress since all my dwarves are getting strange moods that need, in some way, sand... which doesn't seem to exist on my mountain. (also, in trying to combat this problem I used Rick's util's and saw that there is indeed, no Iron here either.)