Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get fast, free independent, strong, & friendly guards  (Read 1695 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

step one: select a point for guarding
step two: retire
step three: spawn as adventurer dorf into your fort
step four: move adventurer to selected spot
step five retire
step six: reclaim fort
step seven: while i haven't tested it, adventurer should be in the same spot you left him in, will be on your side and won't need food, if he doesn't stay he probably will be somewhere in your fort, & he will still guard (he might even be a controllable guy in your fort)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get fast, free independent, strong, & friendly guards
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:41:53 am »

Wouldn't all the retirement/reclaim chaos make this a less than efficient method? Also, I was under the impression he wouldn't necessarily stay "owned" by your fort.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Stovepipe Arnold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:12:08 am »

I still can't comprehend how unsupervised dwarves can burn over a year's supply of alcohol in 2 weeks...

As a side note, caravan guards make good fortress guards, but does anyone know why they occasionally bug out and decide to stay at your fort?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:33 am »

As a side note, caravan guards make good fortress guards, but does anyone know why they occasionally bug out and decide to stay at your fort?

Years worth of free booze, loads of available women, not having to march through giant dingo-infested forests with nothing but a axe and some copper armor, and you call it a bug when they want to stay?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:54:52 am »

I still can't comprehend how unsupervised dwarves can burn over a year's supply of alcohol in 2 weeks...

Sadly unaware of the beer-pump operator labor, I see:

:)
÷ :)
÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
One wheel short of a wagon

Stovepipe Arnold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:46:39 pm »

Years worth of free booze, loads of available women, not having to march through giant dingo-infested forests with nothing but a axe and some copper armor, and you call it a bug when they want to stay?

Urist McRandy

His hair is ecru. His skin is burnt umber. He is a Gemini. He enjoys long walks on the beach.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:00:21 am »

does this actually work? I haven't tried it

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:53:49 am »

Wouldn't all the retirement/reclaim chaos make this a less than efficient method? Also, I was under the impression he wouldn't necessarily stay "owned" by your fort.
You could improve the efficiency by having your adventurer bring along some soldiers, so that each time the adventurer arrives what is practically an army begins to accrue. If the adventurers are not from the same civ, yeah they will most likely not show up as citizens but as 'friendly.' Still, 'friendly' is arguably better - you won't have to feed/booze adventurer guards, though on the downside you won't be able to order or armour them.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:45:33 am »

They could get armour from the fortress, though, beforehand.
One wheel short of a wagon