Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Workshop Quantity Curiosity  (Read 3982 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Quantity Curiosity
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:06 pm »

• 2 Magma Glass Furnace

The glass furnace is always making blocks.  Why?  Because I like green blocks, that's why.

I have to question whether one "Collect Sand" job order can keep up with the "full time" production of the other Glass Furnace. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »

• 2 Magma Glass Furnace

The glass furnace is always making blocks.  Why?  Because I like green blocks, that's why.

I have to question whether one "Collect Sand" job order can keep up with the "full time" production of the other Glass Furnace.
Depends how close the sand is I suppose

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 11:31:14 pm »

• 2 Magma Glass Furnace

I tend to make my sand-collection glass furnace built directly adjacent to the sand. It's often the magma glass furnace that can't catch up because of the logistical difficulty of getting sand to actual work furnace.  I use a channel dug down to a stockpile near the glass furnace with short minecart stop to dump it down directly to the magma furnace floor, but that still depends somewhat on haulers still paying attention.  With legendary glass blowers, you can make a TON of glass things very, very quickly that way. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »

First, I load 8 units of magma into 4 magma safe minecarts.  I then dig one 1x1 hole right next to sand for each building, at the appropriate position to be blocked by the magma glass furnace's impassable tile.  Two QSP's and a few minecart assignment switches later, and you have two tiles with 4/7 magma ready to power your glass industry.

As for operation, I have a dedicated "Glassier" profession in Dwarf Therapist, which only have item hauling and glassmaking enabled.  Each magma glass furnace is set to only one Glassier.  I then queue up one "Collect Sand" job, and set it to repeat.  I finally queue up one "Insert glass object I need tons of, like blocks or tubes" and set THAT to repeat.

End result is the glassier dwarf will bag their own sand from 2 tiles away from the furnace, then grab it and make a glass object.  Very efficient (though not very quick), so long as you don't mind occasionally remembering that job you assigned 3 years ago and finding 800+ glass chairs.

I tend to make my sand-collection glass furnace built directly adjacent to the sand. It's often the magma glass furnace that can't catch up because of the logistical difficulty of getting sand to actual work furnace.  I use a channel dug down to a stockpile near the glass furnace with short minecart stop to dump it down directly to the magma furnace floor, but that still depends somewhat on haulers still paying attention.  With legendary glass blowers, you can make a TON of glass things very, very quickly that way. 

I'm a bit confused.  Why do the sand-collection glass furnaces have to be close to the sand?  I thought dwarves, when they pick up the job to collect sand, grab the nearest bag, go collect the sand, then either drop the bag there or take it to the sand bag stockpile. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:32:49 pm by RocheLimit »

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 02:11:29 pm »

Lately I've been doing a lot of low-population/generational forts, so I tend to go for a layout something like this...

-2 stills and 2 kitchens
-2 farmer's workshops, one by the food prep area and the other by the bone stockpile (for spinning thread)
-1 each of loom/clothier/dyer/leatherworks
-2 or 3 butcher's shops, 3 or 4 tanner's shops (I like to have an extra tanner's shop)
-2 carpenter's shops, 2 mason's shops
-as many as 6 craft workshops (2 by the bone stockpile, 2 near my other item stockpiles, 2 in the food prep area for when I decide to make cloth/leather crafts)
-2 jeweler's shops
-2 of each kind of furnace/forge (sometimes 4 kilns or glass furnaces) and 2 asheries
-1 mechanic's shop
-1 soap maker
-2 querns and 2 screw presses (I don't use millstones)

...general rule of thumb for me is: 1 of any shop that I won't use very often, at least 2 of any shop that I'll use a lot, and in the case of looms and clothiers and leatherworks and stuff... I use them a lot, but I don't really "mass-produce" most of the time.

It's a very conservative playstyle, I know. And probably why I'm not any better at the game.
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 02:20:22 pm »

I've got 2 Wood Burners, 4 Smelters, 3 Forges and 2 Craftdorf Workshops.

1 of anything else I need.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »

I'm a bit confused.  Why do the sand-collection glass furnaces have to be close to the sand?  I thought dwarves, when they pick up the job to collect sand, grab the nearest bag, go collect the sand, then either drop the bag there or take it to the sand bag stockpile.

They drop the bag off at the glass forge.  Hence, it's a short trip from sand zone to glass forge.  Putting the stockpile for bags right next to both makes it a shorter trip, still.  You'll need to have a return for the bags, though. 

Maybe next time, rather than just dropping bags down a chute, I send the cart down the chute, and have a bag/cart return on a loop.  Just using "guide" is simple enough if it's not that distant.  I've recently been finding I've been trying to be far too clever with my carts, and just setting stuff for "guide" is actually much more simple and useful than most people give it credit for. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 10:08:30 pm »

This seems like an awful lot of work for... no gain at all. Why do you break down workshops when not needed?

Because... it is fun and makes me smile. :)

Another fun thing it lets me do, if a dwarf goes into a Strange Mood, he or she just stands there until I construct the necessary workshop in the middle of the legendary dining hall. All the other dwarves are gathered around watching and partying. ;)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 12:59:06 am »

Until your dorf starts screaming for shells in the middle of a desert.  He then snaps and starts strangling the nearest reveler.  Or maybe hes screaming for yarn, but you have no sheep and the caravan just left (and you didn't feel like buying any from it at the time).  Same difference, you risk a tantrum spiral cuz he killed everyone's two best buddies or you forced your axelord to kill her husband.  Its the main reason I keep all moodable workshops confined in their own little rooms with a door ready to be locked. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:48 am »

This seems like an awful lot of work for... no gain at all. Why do you break down workshops when not needed?

Because... it is fun and makes me smile. :)
Fair enough. :)

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:58 am »

Take no. of times I neede 1 more workshop than I had + no. of times I couldn't find one of these workshops. It makes the fort look... interesting, with workshpos squirreled away where they have no right to be.
You should probably start appointing one of these:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Manager
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:19 pm »

What are you talking about? I have a full-time mana...

*realization dawns*
One wheel short of a wagon

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 02:03:03 am »

I once had about 12-16 masonry workshops going non-stop making rock blocks for a small megaproject in a community fort-I only had a year to do it in. 

I might get as many as 9 wood furnaces in my current fort, but I doubt I'll actually need more than 7.  (Steel armor for the whole fort is going to take up lots of carbon, especially if I insist on it being masterwork...)
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »

My workshop count in a mature fort usually looks something like:

3+ of Smelter, Forge, Wood Furnace (if no coal).
2-3 each of Masonry, Craftsdwarf's, Farmer's, Glass Furnace (if I have both sand and magma).
2 each of Jewler's, Quern (if no millstone).
1-2 each of Mechanic's, Carpentry, Loom, Clothier's, Leatherworker's, Tanner's, Butcher's, Kitchen, Still, Jewler's, Screw Press.
1 each of Dyer's, Soapmaker's, Ashery, Fishery, Bowyer's, Wood Furnace (if map has coal).
0-1 Kiln, Millstone

Smelters, forges, kilns, and glass furnaces can be standard or magma versions, depending on my needs and degree of access to magma. Additional workshops for special needs (such as dedicated block-building workshops for megaprojects, or craftsdwarf's shops dedicated to strand extraction) are built on an as-needed basis, and are usually removed once the need for which they were constructed is past.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 01:42:10 pm »

My current fort

9 Magma Smelters
12 Magma Forges
3 Magma Glass
16 Mason
2 Craftsdwarf
1 Mechanic
1 Still
1 Kitchen
1 Soap making
2 Carpenter
1 Leatherworker
1 Farmer's Workshop
1 Butcher
1 Tanner
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: 1 [2] 3