Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: New 32 px tileset in the making  (Read 55776 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: New tileset in the making... 24 or 32 px?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:52 am »

Yeah, I saw him pop up and was like "oh yeah, getting in on this now" right off the bat, that statue tile makes me want to steal it. I already did a lot of mix/match when I personalized my bisasam text/map sets.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:20 am »

that statue tile makes me want to steal it. I already did a lot of mix/match when I personalized my bisasam text/map sets.

Oh, please, be my guest. Use it if you want. I'd just like to have it a more complete tileset before seeing them tiles released in another set. But I won't forbid it, you can do as you please with it :). That way perhaps I can see some screenshot of how they look ingame

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 05:44:59 am »

Oh, I wouldn't pass them off as my own, I had at one point kept track of where the bisasam+more tiles I used came from but suffice to say it was a lot. I will definitely keep it in mind though since GemSet uses a text tileset+capitalizing on graphics set/twbt stuff rather than a map tileset, so once he gets the walls and stuff ready I'll poke around a bit and do stuff like that.

Thought I'd be clever and try to use it as an override but unless I'm missing something twbt doesn't want to put a 32x override on a 24x tile while there are 48x overrides in place. >.<
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:05:37 am by Max™ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:17 am »

Just one thing: Please dont delete the other versions once you decided on one. I saw you made several statues, coffins, etc.

There can still be used with TWBT as custom workshops for decorational purposes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:30 am »

Just one thing: Please dont delete the other versions once you decided on one. I saw you made several statues, coffins, etc.

There can still be used with TWBT as custom workshops for decorational purposes.

I agree I love choices and with twbt and overrides and even if you have multiple creatures tiles as choices (like the dogs and cats you did for spacfox) that'd be great to. It would definitely make the tileset much more popular/unique if there were multiple choices and maybe even someone will create a program to actually easily make those changes (but they are easy anyways). That doesn't mean it is required or you should feel that you have to make multiple choices for anything. For the starterpack and the like. Plus it gives Meph room for all his creatures in masterwork and other mods.

---LeoCean I curse you for showing me that tiles ---

I'lll gladly accept it, Obsidian gave into life after showing us those beauties how could I sit back and not have more eye candy. It's as the other guys said 24x24 may be most convenient for people at the moment but screens are getting bigger and better resolutions and dwarf fortress isn't near completion, having a 32x tileset as an option is not a bad thing. Plus seeing obsidians work how could I not tempt you to make 32x, I've seen the difference between the two ;).

The choices thing also gives you room to make others happy and yourself happy though, that's why I did the multiple tilesets for spacefox, because if I had to choose between making me happy and others happy for the tileset I'd choose me. :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:33:52 am by LeoCean »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 11:38:27 am »

Oh, don't worry about that Meph. I'm a graphics hoarder. I was planning on releasing commented overrides or something like that. Probably a set containing all the leftovers?

That doesn't mean it is required or you should feel that you have to make multiple choices for anything. For the starterpack and the like. Plus it gives Meph room for all his creatures in masterwork and other mods.

Worry not, making multiple versions is part of my normal process. I seem to not be able to choose between two options unless I see them fully renderend in front of me, so there'll be options for a lot of things. Wether that's good or bad remains to be seen :)

I'lll gladly accept it, Obsidian gave into life after showing us those beauties how could I sit back and not have more eye candy. It's as the other guys said 24x24 may be most convenient for people at the moment but screens are getting bigger and better resolutions and dwarf fortress isn't near completion, having a 32x tileset as an option is not a bad thing. Plus seeing obsidians work how could I not tempt you to make 32x, I've seen the difference between the two ;).

:P

It's a shame you can't fully override workshops, and so many other things. Though I still will have my hands full with the things you can do :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:43:37 am by Dibujor »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »

I like these tiles so much, I found the time to start porting them to 16x16 :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:36:10 pm by Godlysockpuppet »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »

They give me a strong Warcraft II feeling.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 10:38:04 am »

I think you should go with whatever size is more comfortable for you to work with. A tileset by a real artist will be great anyway, and definitely better than if you abandon the work because you're not comfortable with the chosen size.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 01:03:26 pm »

32px, absolutely.

We sorely lack 32px.
Screen resolution is so high these days, no excuse not to, imho.

Beautiful pixel art, there.  Very much will follow this.

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 11:35:46 am »

I vote for 32px! More detail is always better. And being able to pick and choose the tile versions I like best would be amazing.

The raised pipe and coffin look wonderful -- if the walls were raised, too, it would make forts feel much less flat.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 05:33:30 pm »

My daughter is ill with varicella and I haven't been able to check around here, neither doing much work on anything, but I haven't forgotten this, in case anyone was wondering :)

Some new answers since the last time I checked, and everyone seems to agree on 32 px. Well, to be fair, everyone agrees on "do what you fell more comfortable doing".

So that settles it, I'm going for 32 px then. With the technology increasing in cheaper, higher resolution screens, and mifki improving twbt there's no reason not to work on (almost) any size you want.

I've been doing what I could given the circumstances, trying styles and designs at that size. But always doing useful (albeit unsorted) tiles. Now that my little one is getting better and I'm going into the right mindset I'll be asking some questions about the organization and such. Important things for me, not to work in vain.

I think I'll be keeping this thread open while I organize things and until I have something more complete so I can open a proper "Tileset thread". That way this can be the thread spammed with questions, and half baked images.

Spoiler: Here's what's new (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »

Love seeing more high res stuff, looks cool!

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 07:20:02 pm »

Lots of grays and blues. Quite luvverly. @_@

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 04:53:03 am »

Lots of grays and blues. Quite luvverly. @_@

He, I sort of forgot that weapons, shields, etc can/must be colored. I got caught in the "greyness"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12