Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: New 32 px tileset in the making  (Read 55793 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: New tileset in the making... 24 or 32 px?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 08:51:05 am »

How so? They take the ingame color of the material if you use twbt for them. They should look neutral/grey/white when you draw them. They look fine as they are. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:34 am »

How so? They take the ingame color of the material if you use twbt for them. They should look neutral/grey/white when you draw them. They look fine as they are. :)

Oh, I don't know, just seeing the set you put together for masterwork I assumed this would be as with the races and animals, that you should color them. Now, as you make this objects, it makes that much sense they get the color of the material they're made from.  All is good then, as I made them neutral.

Here we go, newbiness strikes again :D

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:20 am »

Unfortunately it also means that you can't have any colours left as is, even if you want. Like you can't make sword's blade take material colour but leave its handle intact with some other colours, like in your image. At least until we decide on some new way to colour things in TWBT. Meph, was it you who asked to add colour override option to TWBT to keep your tiles looking good even with too dark material colours?

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 11:02:01 am »

Yeah, I imagined that. That way you can only play with contrast and I imagine you must exaggerate the lights and darks in order to have some of that translated to the game color overlays. With different colors you can have "subtle" variation in brightness that gets helped by the difference in hue. If the object is monochrome though... I bet things like the subtle brightness in things like the plain octogonal shields would get lost.

Is there any way I can test the color effect outside of the game?. I mean , something like aplying a colored overlay layer in photoshop over the tiles or something like that. I've tried with an overlay layer but that doesn't seem right. I guess the game works in a more complicated way.

Different colors for different parts... would be awesome but... is it even feasible?. I mean, the object is made with one command (i.e. make iron sword) so all the sword is made from iron. Thinking about it, I suppose you're referring to - through twbt - tell the game to color the grey parts but left the colored ones intact, or something like that right?

In Gnomoria for example, you make weapons and armor from different parts that can get different materials (this wood for the handle, that metal for the blade...) but that would be a nightmare in DF...

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »

Colors? Bah. Only elves need colored swords! #gogray

Zeronet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 05:00:22 pm »

I love the style and the detail.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »

Thinking about it, I suppose you're referring to - through twbt - tell the game to color the grey parts but left the colored ones intact, or something like that right?

Something like this. There's a discussion on the last several pages in TWBT thread. Current (vanilla DF) colouring system with background and foreground material colours is too complicated on the one hand (and even works differently for some items/buildings), but doesn't allow to achieve simple things like leaving some colours of a tile intact on the other.

Not sure about swords but I definitely expect pillows not to be made of wood)

First, a tile is filled with a material background colour, then tile image is rendered, multiplied by the material foreground colour. I couldn't achieve the same result with layer blending in PS.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »

I like these tiles so much, I found the time to start porting them to 16x16 :)

Haha, didn't see this message, glad you liked them. In fact those walls came from an idea I had for spacefox (16x16) but ended up doing another set.

Colors? Bah. Only elves need colored swords! #gogray
:P

Thinking about it, I suppose you're referring to - through twbt - tell the game to color the grey parts but left the colored ones intact, or something like that right?

Something like this. There's a discussion on the last several pages in TWBT thread. Current (vanilla DF) colouring system with background and foreground material colours is too complicated on the one hand (and even works differently for some items/buildings), but doesn't allow to achieve simple things like leaving some colours of a tile intact on the other.

Not sure about swords but I definitely expect pillows not to be made of wood)

First, a tile is filled with a material background colour, then tile image is rendered, multiplied by the material foreground colour. I couldn't achieve the same result with layer blending in PS.

Yeah, I do my best to understand what's going on on TWBT's thread, but I don't always succeed :D.

It's a shame then, I'll have to guesstimate the result until I have something more or less complete to feed into the game, Fortunately correcting contrast isn't difficult at all in PS.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 06:24:35 pm »

Another little update, this time with walls. I think this is one of the most important things to get right. You spend a lot of time looking at this and the "coolness" factor of your fortress depend on them. Can make or break a tileset. The important bit for now though is perspective. The designs are not final, just the basics. Some of them are basically the same design I had for the 24x24 on the first post. I haven't done the engravings and such.

I'm leaning to #3 I think as they match better the perspective I have for the objects and constructions (see the well to the side for comparison). Don't know if the upper or the lower one though. The upper one seems really soft, not "hard" enough for the style and feel I'm leaning towards. Perspective is a bit higher in that one.

Anyway, as I said, I have to add the engravings and some more decorations in the walls (don't want to overdoit though, they'd look noisy at small zoom levels).

Spoiler: #2 "Fake" perspective (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: #3 Oblique perspective (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:31:37 am by Dibujor »

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »

Oblique perspective . . . *drools* The first one in that image looks much prettier because of the wall detailing. And the little half-hexagons at joints make the walls look more angular (which fits in better with the rest of the stuff you've made so far).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:43:46 pm by oriramikad »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »

It's a shame then, I'll have to guesstimate the result until I have something more or less complete to feed into the game, Fortunately correcting contrast isn't difficult at all in PS.

Well, you still can try just the tiles you already have to get the idea how they look when coloured.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 11:41:53 pm »

I am absolutely in love with the oblique perspective.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2015, 05:36:00 am »

Oh, I don't know, just seeing the set you put together for masterwork I assumed this would be as with the races and animals, that you should color them. Now, as you make this objects, it makes that much sense they get the color of the material they're made from.  All is good then, as I made them neutral.

Here we go, newbiness strikes again :D
They will retain their original color too, it will be mixed with the material color. So if the material is white they look like the pic your drew. Grey and Dark-Grey makes is darker, but still retains the colors. It gets more complex once you get items made of copper or cinnabar or olivine.... But if there is something you certainly want to have a specific color, add it. Like red-eyes for creatures or a adamantine-colored something for something or another. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:02 pm »

Another little update, this time with walls. I think this is one of the most important things to get right. You spend a lot of time looking at this and the "coolness" factor of your fortress depend on them. Can make or break a tileset. The important bit for now though is perspective. The designs are not final, just the basics. Some of them are basically the same design I had for the 24x24 on the first post. I haven't done the engravings and such.

I'm leaning to #3 I think as they match better the perspective I have for the objects and constructions (see the well to the side for comparison). Don't know if the upper or the lower one though. The upper one seems really soft, not "hard" enough for the style and feel I'm leaning towards. Perspective is a bit higher in that one.

Anyway, as I said, I have to add the engravings and some more decorations in the walls (don't want to overdoit though, they'd look noisy at small zoom levels).

Spoiler: #2 "Fake" perspective (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: #3 Oblique perspective (click to show/hide)

OH! They look all good! O_O

But if i had to choose one i think i would go with the third.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 06:44:06 pm »

Well, you still can try just the tiles you already have to get the idea how they look when coloured.

Yeah, but there's no actual 32x32 tileset that I can smack my tiles into. I'm afraid my habilities "hacking" DF at the moment are limited to replace tiles into an already made tileset and some minor tweaks here and there. That's what I do with the sets I'm making for spacefox.

They will retain their original color too, it will be mixed with the material color. So if the material is white they look like the pic your drew. Grey and Dark-Grey makes is darker, but still retains the colors. It gets more complex once you get items made of copper or cinnabar or olivine.... But if there is something you certainly want to have a specific color, add it. Like red-eyes for creatures or a adamantine-colored something for something or another. :P

Hehe, yep, I remembered the armor stand and weapon rack that I changed in spacefox. Those are colored on the tileset and seem to mostly retain their color. I won't be doing a lot of this but for the ocasional golden pommel and stuff like that could come in handy. I'm about to post some more tiles I just made for armor racks. There some weapons are colored while the stand itself is grey. It would be awesome if the stand would get the color of the material and the weapons remain more or less the same.

I am absolutely in love with the oblique perspective.

OH! They look all good! O_O
But if i had to choose one i think i would go with the third.

Yep, I think # is a keeper. There's two versions there though. Anyway I'm working a bit more on both designs. But at this moment is enough knowing the general design and perspective so the rest of the tiles work acordingly. Glad you both agree with my first impression :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12