Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: New 32 px tileset in the making  (Read 55520 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: New 32 px tileset in the making
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2015, 05:13:21 am »

I can forsee problems with the oceans and deserts. Try inverting the ~ tiles, and putting dark blue as a very dark shade of sepia.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2015, 05:25:44 am »

:o You're right, I didn't even think about the sand deserts, man.....this is severely limiting.

Thing is there's a lot of problems to overcome, you can't distinguis between roads and rivers (unless you read what they are), the aforementioned sand deserts...

If only we could give everything it's own tile in the map so we could maintain water as it is and use another tile for sand, separate roads from rivers from walls, volcanoes from peaks, marsh from savannah... this will be a lot more viable and cool. Being able to tell the game to color just the ink of the tiles in the evil and special locations (imagine the same tile with purple or red ink). But to make that you have to keep the background black and the "ink" white, so you lose the sepia....

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2015, 07:37:12 am »

Cant you use twbt to pick different tiles for sand and water? Would be easy enough to make both tiles look different.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2015, 08:21:39 am »

TWBT overrides would let you colorize the sepia stuff pretty much however you'd like, and the the grayscale bits take on the colors that the game wants to impose.  Or if overrides are specific enough (evil jungle having its own override) then you can really go crazy with it.

As things stand now, it doesn't look like sepia will work, but the map icons do get the point across even in the default colors.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2015, 06:03:54 pm »

Having TWBT working on the world map would be fantastic. It would solve all the problems with the reused tiles. World map doesn't use that much tiles so you have plenty of room to be specific. The main areas where this would be useful are: rivers/roads/walls (same tiles), savannah/Shrubland/Marsh/Swamp/Grassland (they share tiles in pairs and savannah/marsh use exactly the same tiles in the same configuration), water/sand and volcano/peak. Being able to draw specific tiles for evil environments or things like that would be crazy... and awesome.

Being able to change the way the game colorizes things and/or having more than those 16 colors would be awesome too.

Anyway, I've been able to overcome some of the problems. As Japa noticed, the water/sand would be a problem so I've inverted the water tiles and added a greyish blue to the palette in place of the dark blue (I reasoned that color is used in the map just for showing the water, so it doesn't affect the sepia terrain.

I've also been able to have purple ink drawings for tiles that are always evil (Goblin settlements, Dark Fortress and Dark Pits) and Green Ink for the Elves. That way you can find them easily on the map. Unfortunately I can't do the same for evil terrains and volcanoes (a peak tile isn't always a volcano)

Of course the tileset, although a bit retouched still remains the same crap. Perhaps it would be better if the "icons" were smaller and more centered inside the tiles?

HERE you can see a screenshot and you can download the complete world map HERE to see it in all it's "glory"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:43:46 am by Dibujor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2015, 08:52:08 pm »

If you save the map as a png, you can make it much smaller without any quality loss.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2015, 04:16:38 am »

Hey Dibujor

I just wanted to say, that your 32 px art looks absolutely amazing. It totally reminds me about those good old Super NES and GBA sprites. It was a pleasure reading through the eleven pages of this thread and follow the progress of this project.I especially love the details and aesthetics of the statues on first page and the workshops on fifth page. But also the other items at the bottom of page 2 are absolutely adorable. According to one of your postings on page 4, you have drawn already several hundreds of sprites. Can't wait to see more of them or even fire up Dwarf Fortress one day with your graphic set installed.

Unfortunately there wasn't any entry from you herein since over a month. So I wish you all the best with whatever keeps you busy at the moment and I really hope to see you back in action. I guess, I am not the only one thinking, that it will be a huge loss for Dwarf Fortress, when this project get's abandoned unfinished.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2015, 04:41:12 pm »

Wasn't here for months, working.
Did i miss something, or mifki implemented world map overrides?
Nice tileset, btw

upd: oh wait, and transparent render too?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:46:41 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

Hey Dibujor

I just wanted to say, that your 32 px art looks absolutely amazing. It totally reminds me about those good old Super NES and GBA sprites. It was a pleasure reading through the eleven pages of this thread and follow the progress of this project.I especially love the details and aesthetics of the statues on first page and the workshops on fifth page. But also the other items at the bottom of page 2 are absolutely adorable. According to one of your postings on page 4, you have drawn already several hundreds of sprites. Can't wait to see more of them or even fire up Dwarf Fortress one day with your graphic set installed.

Unfortunately there wasn't any entry from you herein since over a month. So I wish you all the best with whatever keeps you busy at the moment and I really hope to see you back in action. I guess, I am not the only one thinking, that it will be a huge loss for Dwarf Fortress, when this project get's abandoned unfinished.

Hey there,

I'm really sorry for the lack of news from my part. Meph wrote me an email bringing that to my atention and he's completely right (thanks Meph).

First I have to make clear that I have not abandoned the tileset (nor have I abandoned the goblins for spacefox I have half-made for that matter). I should have posted this earlier but there's a lot going around at the moment and I didn't even remember, sorry for that. I feel the same about the tileset as the first day.

The explanation is simple: real life, as always, has interfered :). My wife is also self-employed and, last month she had a medical problem that prevents her from working at the moment. So I've had to get (a lot) more work to make up for the missing income. I've been working 14 hours a day for the past weeks, apart from having to do the parenting of the two of us for my little daughter. So I have almost no sleep and no energy within me.

Even then if I only had to draw the tiles I'd probably have done some work on them (I've thrown some pixels in the tileset here and there) but it's not just that. I have to understand the tiles and files and I have a lot to learn, so I need time and energy to make a worthwile tileset and not a crap.

It wasn't my intention to disappear and I should have posted a disclaimer here. Again, sorry for that.

As soon as the situation resolves (doctor says September she'll be fine for work again) , I'll be here working on it again. Anyway, I'll make a point of visiting and answering here on the forums, and if there's a small request or someone "needs" a tile (like mifki with the workshops) I'll try to make it

On another note, Urist, glad you like the tiles. If you count all the variations for the tiles I made (mostly the walls have quite a few) here and on spacefox, I have indeed drawn hundreds of tiles. "Sadly" the tileset will require several thousands ;). Oh, and thanks for the kind words :)

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2015, 12:28:11 am »

Thx a lot for your lengthy reply and clarifying the status of the project. One time addicted to Dwarf Fortress, always addicted to Dwarf Fortress I guess.  ;D

All the best to you and your family. Take your time to sort things out. :-)

necrotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »

All the best to you and your family. Take your time to sort things out. :-)

100% this. I really look forward to a "finished" version of this set, but real life takes precedence by default. I wish you luck out there in reality land!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2015, 01:50:29 pm »

PTW
No really... It's great i'm looking forward - when this tileset would be ready it 100% will be my default tileset.
probadly it can be intresting for all u - there is in-working tilset 40x40 maden in Russia - now only dwarves are ready,but it's beautiful i think... especially beards... http://vk.com/topic-2606586_30642430

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2015, 08:35:50 pm »

Those beards are amazing.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2015, 11:28:25 am »

Thank you all :).

I'm really sorry for keeping this on hold. Don't worry, there are no problems, just that I have so much work to do that I don't really have time for anything else.

I'm glad you like to see this finished. Hope the final product fulfill your expectations :D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12