Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autoforge - FacTerrario  (Read 1506 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Autoforge - FacTerrario
« on: April 01, 2024, 12:10:15 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1960480/AutoForge/

So this game popped up in one of my feeds today and I have no idea why I never heard about it until now. I bought it and played a bit and it is fairly fun. It's like if Factorio and Terraria had a baby. It has a lot of the Factorio things you need to design around and the very early progression was basically what you get within your first few minutes of Factorio, quick manual harvesting, then bunch of manually managed drills, then automation starts.

You play as a golem tethered to this big crystal underground and you can extend the range it will allow you to explore in by unlocking areas on a grid surrounding it through paying for it with some amount of manufactured items, a bit like Satisfactory unlocks. You get to explore different biomes with different critters and resources, both above and underground. I haven't reached this stage as of writing this but eventually you start getting attacks you have to defend against with the golem and/or automation-fed turrets, all stuff Factorio players will be familiar with.

There are a few differences compared to Factorio.
-The first obvious one is the sidescrolling perspective.
-Second is power sources past burners are fantasy, mana-related.
-Third is that you don't have inserters. Transport tubes(basically belts) can feed directly into things like chest, buildings have a rotatable output slot to go straight into another building, storage, or transport tube, and more interestingly buildings have various areas around them from which they can automatically pull necessary items straight out of transport tubes, which does simplify the feeding part of designing and allow for some pretty compact builds.
-Fourth is that there is farming, ranching of animals and feeding them different plants to generate different resources.
-Fifth is exploration is limited/gated. I'm not sure if you can infinitely unlock new areas to expand to, but unless you unlock another map grid, you cannot go into it without quickly dying, fair warning here about digging down and falling into a cavern that has you land in a grid you don't have access to and getting you killed.

The game is singleplayer only. The dev does mentions this being a possibility down the line depending on how things go in this thread.

Here's a screenshot of my fairly inefficiently-laid out early "science" setup I'll inevitably have to redesign another 10 times in the future as is customary.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.