Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 695947 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Gears Of Muton
« Reply #1845 on: July 25, 2015, 02:46:06 am »

Can someone please make a game about civil war era troops fighting retro sci-fi aliens with less effective tech than we have currently?  Because I want this in my life.

I've already hinted at this once in this thread.

Behold the power of mods!

Knights! Cavalry! CHARGE! *mutons charge the cavalry, and punch the horse and rider in the air*

Sounds like it would be about dealing death by a thousand cuts. Probably effective against unarmoured enemies. Power armour won't give much of a damn about blades made of inferior metals.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 25, 2015, 05:06:16 am »

Or maybe primitive weapons are surprisingly effective, if power armor has developed to resist their own best weapon tech.  An arms race between plasma and alien alloys/shields.  But less effective against "inferior" weapons like metal slugs or melee.  Pretty sure that last part was a thing in Dune, with those ballistic shields which stopped bullets (and blasters?) but swords were too slow to detect, or something.

It doesn't make perfect sense but would make aliens vs low tech less unbalanced.  Also there's an alt history book I haven't actually read where aliens invade during WW2 and face unexpected resistance.  Stuff like Germany's Big Bertha cannon taking down UFOs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 25, 2015, 06:18:09 am »

Or maybe primitive weapons are surprisingly effective, if power armor has developed to resist their own best weapon tech.  An arms race between plasma and alien alloys/shields.  But less effective against "inferior" weapons like metal slugs or melee.  Pretty sure that last part was a thing in Dune, with those ballistic shields which stopped bullets (and blasters?) but swords were too slow to detect, or something.

It doesn't make perfect sense but would make aliens vs low tech less unbalanced.  Also there's an alt history book I haven't actually read where aliens invade during WW2 and face unexpected resistance.  Stuff like Germany's Big Bertha cannon taking down UFOs.

Wasn't the Big Bertha railway gun from WW1? I dont remember that one surviving to WW2 like some of the others
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 25, 2015, 06:20:14 am »

There were some very big railway guns in WW2 still though. Mostly for taking shots across the channel.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 25, 2015, 06:23:45 am »

Hm I don't remember since I didn't actually read it, but I was thinking of the "Worldwar" series by Harry Turtledove.  I do think it was a railway gun though, yeah.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 25, 2015, 07:02:15 am »

Heh... WW2 Germany vs Aliens. You start off with some untrained, badly-equipped infantry. Then you get the tanks. Your final task is to develop the Ratte or Dora (that's the HUGE railway gun) the Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster to finally obliterate the enemies. Not XCOM-style infiltration, no. A big damn superweapon to shoot down a big damn target.

Personally though, I can't wait for a Medieval Army vs Aliens mod.
A WWI or so era cavalry charge is definitely something I want to try though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:07:13 am by Wimopy »
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 25, 2015, 07:17:10 am »

Why not go all the way? Cavemen vs Space British Explorers. Lightning stick scary, but only roar once before needing rest!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1852 on: July 25, 2015, 07:22:25 am »

Hmm
-swords
-bows/crossbows (low-damage, 30-round clip that can't be reloaded, low acc)
-firebombs
You'd rely on the firebombs at first, and then the sealed PA clittons would wreck yer shit.
Unless you could get one of them anti-cavalry slings & lead shot. Might break something through their PA, maybe. But I'd bet PA is designed with minimizing fall (blunt force) damage, so maybe not. Probably a 'unified chassis', and the alloys aren't going to deform so the force will be distributed & negated by in-suit shock absorbers.

I don't think you'd be able to do moving units justice. Best I could think of is hit & run with a high movement, limited moblity (doors/obstacles should block more, no ladder-horses), & a large target debuff.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 25, 2015, 09:58:44 am »

Give more damage to cavalry the farther they move in a turn. This is what Endless Legend did to simulate cavalry charges.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 25, 2015, 10:22:44 am »

Man, futuristic power armor is too cool.  I made a post about bashing damage being the best bet, but then remembered that power armor is very heavy.  So not only will impact force spread over the armor surface, it would be tough to knock the target backwards or even over.  Maaaybe a couched lance.

And obviously slashing will only work at all if there are, for some reason exposed bits of sensitive flesh or mechanics.  And there doesn't need to be, even medieval full plate had armor hang over the joints.  This is like that except encumbrance is far less of an issue.

So I guess piercing would be the best bet...  But then you're going up against advanced alloys with mere bronze or steel.  Hopefully high calibre bullets, which should work relatively well.

Then there's alternate possibilities they might not have planned for:
Ink over the oculars.  Hope they instinctively smack themselves in the face.
Soft ground, use that weight against them.  Or if they aren't heavy, bashing becomes practical again
Lots of fire.  Without a venting system, they'll eventually cook.  High specific heat could make that take a sustained effort, though.
Ballista/cannons to overcome their mass advantage
Trigger an avalanche or mudslide, preferably to shove them over a convenient cliff
land war in russia
She/they

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 25, 2015, 10:27:49 am »

Yes that was exactly the premise of things in dune, the power shields were designed to stop energy blasts from plasma and lasar weaponry as well as really high velocity metal projectiles from railguns.  But they had to be able to not harden against low-impacts to allow the wearer to move/breath.  As such swords, bows and low impact ballistics still worked.
Nom nom nom

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1856 on: July 25, 2015, 10:28:24 am »

Well, alien alloys are famed for their light weight. And high specific heat. (and of course strength)
So you'd be able to knock them over if not for their being 400-lb meatbags.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 25, 2015, 11:19:41 am »

Yes that was exactly the premise of things in dune, the power shields were designed to stop energy blasts from plasma and lasar weaponry as well as really high velocity metal projectiles from railguns.  But they had to be able to not harden against low-impacts to allow the wearer to move/breath.  As such swords, bows and low impact ballistics still worked.
Didn't the dune shields also cause nukes if you hit them with certainly high-powered weapons though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »

Alien alloys are similar to adamantium, in that they are hard and light, generally. (Not THAT hard and THAT light, of course)

I think a strong enough spear might be able to go through it. Besides that, I think aiming for weakspots is the only option. It's probably easier than using a gun. Also, find a naturally crashed UFO and use the hull parts as a shield or smaller pieces as weapon parts. I think normally non-heavy plasma shouldn't blow it up in a few shots, so it should be enough to get in close. Go Roman with alien alloy shields used in phalanx. Sure, the berserker will probably knock it apart and the first nade might destroy it, but with some luck, you'll still get close enough to use javelins/swords/what-have-you.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1859 on: July 25, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »

Didn't the dune shields also cause nukes if you hit them with certainly high-powered weapons though?
In the Dune universe a shield hit with a lasgun would detonate both the shield and the lasgun with the power of an atomic explosion.

Also shields were almost useless on Dune because they drove sandworms into a frenzy.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 469