Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 685774 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Gears Of Muton
« Reply #1860 on: July 25, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »

Which until the end of the first book no one knew why all the sandworms were psychotic.
Nom nom nom

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 25, 2015, 12:28:36 pm »

In the Dune universe a shield hit with a lasgun would detonate both the shield and the lasgun with the power of an atomic explosion.

Also shields were almost useless on Dune because they drove sandworms into a frenzy.

For some reason nobody thought of making a rocket propelled lasgun warhead.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 25, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »

In the Dune universe a shield hit with a lasgun would detonate both the shield and the lasgun with the power of an atomic explosion.
Wasn't it more random then that? I seem to remember something about a tiny little shield and laser colliding to cause a huge explosion, while two huge weapons dueled and ended with little more than a loud poof.

I think a strong enough spear might be able to go through it. Besides that, I think aiming for weakspots is the only option. It's probably easier than using a gun.
Anywhere you can stab with a speak you could stick a rifle + bayonet into, then shoot them at close range.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 25, 2015, 12:36:43 pm »

Wasn't it more random then that? I seem to remember something about a tiny little shield and laser colliding to cause a huge explosion, while two huge weapons dueled and ended with little more than a loud poof.
From what I remember, a laser hitting a shield could cause a nuclear explosion, do absolutely nothing, and anything else in-between.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 25, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »

Of course mutons don't use helmets which makes this a lot easier.  Like in this (towards the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdwgtW91-k
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 25, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »

Or maybe primitive weapons are surprisingly effective, if power armor has developed to resist their own best weapon tech.  An arms race between plasma and alien alloys/shields.  But less effective against "inferior" weapons like metal slugs or melee.  Pretty sure that last part was a thing in Dune, with those ballistic shields which stopped bullets (and blasters?) but swords were too slow to detect, or something.

It doesn't make perfect sense but would make aliens vs low tech less unbalanced.  Also there's an alt history book I haven't actually read where aliens invade during WW2 and face unexpected resistance.  Stuff like Germany's Big Bertha cannon taking down UFOs.
Yes that was exactly the premise of things in dune, the power shields were designed to stop energy blasts from plasma and lasar weaponry as well as really high velocity metal projectiles from railguns.  But they had to be able to not harden against low-impacts to allow the wearer to move/breath.  As such swords, bows and low impact ballistics still worked.
Didn't the dune shields also cause nukes if you hit them with certainly high-powered weapons though?

Also shields were almost useless on Dune because they drove sandworms into a frenzy.

THANK YOU.

They used shields to counter slugthrowers and melee combat to counter shields. Shooting shields with lasguns caused Earth-shattering kabooms.

There weren't any other handheld ranged weapons beyond slugthrowers and lasguns. If they were brought up in a book other than Dune, this is your polite reminder that there is only one Dune book which exists, and that's the original novel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 25, 2015, 03:31:40 pm »

I will admit that they look considerably less like Clitons in that footage than the still shot implied. Unless it's just because it was dark. It's all the same in the dark.......

Combat looks pretty good actually. Grenades will be fun just for their scattering effect and overwatch plinking.

On the whole, it's all far more cinematic. I wonder if this is going to be a turn timer problem in MP?
It's a game. Have fun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 25, 2015, 03:37:56 pm »

On the whole, it's all far more cinematic.
I very much doubt they're going to give us a 30fps lock or forced letterbox. :P
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1868 on: July 25, 2015, 05:16:03 pm »

I will admit that they look considerably less like Clitons in that footage than the still shot implied. Unless it's just because it was dark. It's all the same in the dark.......

Combat looks pretty good actually. Grenades will be fun just for their scattering effect and overwatch plinking.

On the whole, it's all far more cinematic. I wonder if this is going to be a turn timer problem in MP?
I uh, I think that's a trailer for EU.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:43 pm »

Oh, yeah it is.  Sorry for any confusion.
I'm kinda hoping XCOM 2 has a cinematic mode, maybe for replays at least, but yeah that's an early XCOM 1 preview.
I was just pointing out how not wearing a helmet makes you vulnerable to, like, knives.  Much less bullets.  It's Space Marine syndrome, except helmetless Space Marines have energy shields as an excuse.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 25, 2015, 05:23:42 pm »

Can someone please make a game about civil war era troops fighting retro sci-fi aliens with less effective tech than we have currently?  Because I want this in my life.

I've already hinted at this once in this thread.

Behold the power of mods!

Knights! Cavalry! CHARGE! *mutons charge the cavalry, and punch the horse and rider in the air*

Sounds like it would be about dealing death by a thousand cuts. Probably effective against unarmoured enemies. Power armour won't give much of a damn about blades made of inferior metals.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 25, 2015, 07:29:31 pm »

Guys, we're all forgetting the most powerful weapon of the Middle Ages, disease! Bring out yer leppers, bring out yer dead, bring out your sick children and parents! Load 'em in a catapult and throw 'em at the alien scum! Garunteed 66% of the enemy will die if we can get some rats with the Black Death.

Really though, it's worth a shot. I very much doubt that the aliens will be resistant to Earth diseases, and corpses of the sick were known to be used in catapults or biological warfare. If that doesn't work, just hit the Xenos with some boulders. That should do something, although it will be difficult.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 25, 2015, 07:31:29 pm »

Sectopod Syphilis probably isn't a thing. Drones don't get dengue fever; cyberdisks never suffer the cough.
Disease may not be your friend.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 25, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »

Our diseases barely effect other terran mammals, much less mutons or martians.
She/they

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 25, 2015, 08:18:26 pm »

It would, however, make sense for a successful hybridization of the aliens to cause them to become vulnerable to human diseases. Ironically, this is one of the very few settings where aliens succumbing to disease has any plausibility.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 469