Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 696418 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Gears Of Muton
« Reply #1890 on: July 26, 2015, 01:47:50 pm »

Yeh, was referring to how he managed to write a virus for an alien OS on alien hardware. Even got it to display gfx.
BUT I wouldn't think organisms are quite as specific- unless they operate with very different fluids/sugars/proteins which utterly lack important elements, they'd have to watch out. And no matter what they could run into trouble if they enter environments similar to their native stuff.
Virulence factors are pretty specific, actually. Regular-ass microbes cannot survive inside the body proper; pathogens primarily are able to work by subversion - hiding in cells, posing as something else... and even otherwise, they need to secrete stuff to adapt a body to their needs - that's why some bacteria are hemolytic, they need a fuckton of free iron and human body sequesters the shit out of iron.

For viruses, even more so - there's a bunch of lucky bastards who are immune to HIV altogether, because of a single mutation that changes a single protein the virus uses to enter the cell in the first place, rendering it unable to, well, do that.

And immune systems work on a whitelist, not a blacklist - it's either ours, or learned to be safe during development, or it's presumed hostile and ENGAGE KILL ERRYTHING.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 26, 2015, 01:53:21 pm »

Well that's not exactly true. There is a whitelist, and then anything not on the whitelist gets put on the blacklist eventually should it show up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 26, 2015, 01:59:52 pm »

Well that's not exactly true. There is a whitelist, and then anything not on the whitelist gets put on the blacklist eventually should it show up.

Exacly. Otherwise flu shots and the like would be redundant because everyone would develop autism without evil jewish doctors poking needles at our young.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 26, 2015, 02:23:01 pm »

That's the same thing I was trying to say in 'learned to be safe during development', just more clearly. First year of life, IIRC (I better R it C indeed, or my boss will eat me alive).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 26, 2015, 02:24:05 pm »

Before birth any immune cells that try to engage any threat are destroyed and never produced again.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Gears Of Immunology
« Reply #1895 on: July 26, 2015, 02:32:03 pm »

Before birth any immune cells that try to engage any threat are destroyed and never produced again.
Which ones do you mean?

And I realized what you guys meant. Yeah, that's more accurate.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1896 on: July 26, 2015, 04:22:23 pm »

Yeah, but, there're millions/billions of microbes out there.
Could there not be some/many that could 'accidentally' mimick alien structures/defeat alien immune defenses & thereby 'accidentally' munch on their delicious biomatter?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:38 pm »

If the aliens didn't have immune systems (or vastly different ones) then bacteria and fungi might eat them alive, I think.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Gears Of Immunology
« Reply #1898 on: July 26, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »

Which ones do you mean?

The body doesn't actually know which antigens are self and non-self. He therefore produces a shitload (2*10^8 or something around that) pairwise different configured antibody producer cells. Those which actually recognize antigens are then eliminated. The body basically assumes all antigenes to be present at that time to be "self". Everything else is non-self.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 26, 2015, 11:05:34 pm »

The human body is a wonderous thing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »

Even without an immune system, aliens might be able to fend off fungal and bacterial infestation just by being made of the wrong stuff - like if their proteins are novel or of the opposite chilarity.

Also, post to watch and HYPE.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:44 pm »

You'd think they'd want more human-looking troops, as opposed to less human ones, considering the PR campaign they're trying to run.
The idea is that the aliens came and solved all of our problems because man is stupid and all that. If the aliens turned themselves to look more like us that would kinda actually have the opposite effect. It would be like if a god came down and told you that all your problems are due to what you are but he'll help you anyways, then turned around and made himself just like you were before he was there. It directly conflicts with the whole "because humans were stupid" thing.

On the other hand making yourself look more alien actually amplifies how much different you are than humans, and lets everyone identify you as a "glorious savior" on sight.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 27, 2015, 08:45:45 am »

Glorious Saviours. Bellowing Clit Faces. Snakes with Boobs.

You can justify just about anything with the level of stupid we have, it seems.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:32 am »

I guess having aliens looks somewhat human generates some level of empathy. Or the ethereals just figured out that appealing to various fetishes would get them more popularity. Either option seems to have worked.

The only hybrid that looks like had any real advantage to gain from human DNA was the sectoid, who got better psi powers and physical strength... and a mouth.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:52 am »

Makes you wonder how it ate before, if it ever ate. Hm... now I want to have alien ecology and biology info in larger amounts.

Thinking of that... isn't the alien army a clone army? If so, can't they just obliterate all humanity except for a few and then clone them as faithful puppets? I guess it's probably something like genetic diversity or something that they need though. Or they want to breed a human with an ideal genome and abilities first, like the Volunteer.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 469