Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 696525 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: C-Day
« Reply #2025 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:23 pm »

Yeah but, this isn't the apple thread.  It's the hype-othetical in-development superapple thread.
And at this point, anyone who loved the old X-COMs and buys NewCOM thinking it'll be exactly the same... isn't really doing their research.  The gameplay trailers make the differences pretty clear.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 01, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »

Yeah but, this isn't the apple thread.  It's the hype-othetical in-development superapple thread.
And at this point, anyone who loved the old X-COMs and buys NewCOM thinking it'll be exactly the same... isn't really doing their research.  The gameplay trailers make the differences pretty clear.

Hence my comment that they should have made the new game a new intellectual property and not part of the franchise.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 02, 2015, 12:18:09 am »

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

OH GOD PLEASE STOP
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:40 am »

Take it to PM's, ya'll.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 02, 2015, 04:40:07 am »

You've kinda invited comparisons to X-Com by purposefully calling the thread "X-Com 2" instead of "XCOM 2". And now you're upset this is happening? Are you for real?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:05 am »

We're upset because he's clearly not getting the fucking message.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 02, 2015, 06:37:31 am »

You've kinda invited comparisons to X-Com by purposefully calling the thread "X-Com 2" instead of "XCOM 2". And now you're upset this is happening? Are you for real?
OH NO NOT IN THE HYPHENS! NOT IN THE HYPHENS!

Seriously, that's *the* most pedantic thing you could possibly have issues about. A single hyphen.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 02, 2015, 06:45:51 am »

OH NO NOT IN THE HYPHENS! NOT IN THE HYPHENS!

Seriously, that's *the* most pedantic thing you could possibly have issues about. A single hyphen.
Nope, it's being passive-aggressive towards people who don't want to associate newcom with X-Com. It wasn't done by accident.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 02, 2015, 06:46:08 am »

Actually, KOSS, you aren't trying to help explain the message, and Virtz, that was a single Hyphen difference, how do you know it was done on purpose? I (Until you mentioned it) totally forgot that the new XCOM didn't have a Hyphen in it!
Ronin, if you so desperately want a new game in the spirit of the old X-COM play Xenonaughts! Or hell play goddamn X-COM or the other two sequels on impossible!
For the record, I hated the original X-COM games, they were obtuse, finangaly, it was bullshit how enemies could spot you from beyond your range of vision and the movement points were stupid, I don't want to do minor calculus to find out if my soldier could shoot at the enemy whenever I moved!
I liked the fact that bullets had a set trajectory though, that was a nice touch that I was sad to have gone in the newer versions.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:03 am »

Actually, KOSS, you aren't trying to help explain the message, and Virtz, that was a single Hyphen difference, how do you know it was done on purpose? I (Until you mentioned it) totally forgot that the new XCOM didn't have a Hyphen in it!
Cause one of the first things in the thread (1st page) was a suggestion to change the name for accuracy and OP said "nope, lol".

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 02, 2015, 06:55:36 am »

Because there's no point. :/

And you know what I meant, Execute.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 02, 2015, 07:21:58 am »

Because there's no point. :/

And you know what I meant, Execute.
Okay KOSS, let me take you on a ride through the magic land of Mental Biases, these insidious bastards are caused by basic loopholes in our thinking, caused by our stone age brains acting in this new age environment through no fault of our own.
Let's take the Curse Of Knowledge, for example, this is basically when a better-informed group finds it difficult to understand what a lesser informed group might think of the same situation.
I'm not saying anyone is stupid here, before anyone takes issue with this, but.
Yes, I understand, KOSS, but perhaps they don't? Perhaps they didn't get to the same logical conclusion you and I did?
Cause one of the first things in the thread (1st page) was a suggestion to change the name for accuracy and OP said "nope, lol".
You know what? You're right, specifically, he said that he doesn't want to change it, and says that as the original X-com was finished a decade ago, the Hyphen means nothing, but, looking at it, series have been revived when they've been dormant for longer than that, right?
But at the same time he isn't baiting, that post was made during the build-up of hype, and companies have surely seen that Newcom is a fine successor to Oldcom, so why go straight back to an old design that's less accessible? What was truly better about Oldcom over Newcom?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 02, 2015, 07:25:08 am »

X-Com 2
You mean that hotly anticipated and upcoming game, Terror From the Deep? I can see where you'd get confused.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:16 am »

You know what? You're right, specifically, he said that he doesn't want to change it, and says that as the original X-com was finished a decade ago, the Hyphen means nothing, but, looking at it, series have been revived when they've been dormant for longer than that, right?
But at the same time he isn't baiting, that post was made during the build-up of hype, and companies have surely seen that Newcom is a fine successor to Oldcom, so why go straight back to an old design that's less accessible? What was truly better about Oldcom over Newcom?
I'd argue that it is baiting. Changing the name would've done nothing to the hype. This is just going "This is X-Com now! Suck it!".

As for why some people consider oldcom better. It's mostly less gamey abstractions like classes, weapon restrictions, no mid-battle inventory, severely limited inventory options, hotbar skills, enemies getting a free turn to hide when you spot them, weapons self-destructing and then the remains getting instantly vapourized if the enemy was killed by any explosion (including an anti-personel grenade), armour being just additional hitpoints, limits to squad size, low squad mortality rate, having to pick between missions that pop up simultaneously without the option to go after all of them with different squads. Stuff like that that simplified the game too much for people who prefer a more "simulationy" approach that sticks in more reality-inspired complexity over board game inspired "streamlining".

X-Com 2
You mean that hotly anticipated and upcoming game, Terror From the Deep? I can see where you'd get confused.
Not what I said at all. Thanks for the added mockery, tho.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:40 am »

Can we please complain about more substantial things? It's a name. A name. Seriously, of all the bloody things to complain about, which as people already pointed out HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMPLAINED ABOUT, MULTIPLE TIMES, BOTH IN THIS THREAD AND THE EU/EW ONE, you complain about the damn name.

OldCOM is not coming back under the X-COM/XCOM name. Not any time in the near future, thanks to the actual huge success of NewCOM. You are free to not like NewCOM or OldCOM, but for fuck's sake, stop clogging the thread of the game you do not like with shit that other people have already done and no one wants to put up with again.

This is the XCOM2 thread. It is for discussing that game, and that game only. If you don't like one of the new features that have been shown, feel free to do so. But if it's just to say "anything newer than UFO Defense is shit" or "NuCOM doesn't have feature X from OldCOM I liked", please go do so elsewhere. Threads get locked because people feel that they need to attack others just because those people like something they don't (or the other way around). Because, apparently, people cannot defend their position without claiming/implying others who do not adhere to it are imbeciles.

Now, can we please go back to shitposting about anthropomorphic aliens?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 469