Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 695762 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Ita Longissimum Bellum Coepit
« Reply #5955 on: January 21, 2017, 07:23:09 pm »

Not a ADVENT trooper!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: January 21, 2017, 07:34:18 pm »

For reference to people complaining about turn timers, you can extend the turn time by two turns (or more for higher level officers) if you have an officer. It costs 10 intel, which isn't much.

I haven't had an issue with turn timers but I tend to play a fast and dangerous play style.

Also, if people are struggling, you really want to have 4+ squads, preferably 5 unless you plan on sneaking. You also want above 100% infiltration, boost if you have to or skip it.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: January 21, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »

Huh, okay, I actually really like what they did with the resistance advisor-led missions. I figured it wasn't important and shoved a squaddie sharpshooter into it, then the mission popped and I've got them and a smattering of folks in clothes with random gear, no turn limit, and two pods of enemies in a forest with a road and abandoned factory. Fun stuff. Just wish you could choose to recruit one or two of the resistance fighters as a reward for winning the mission.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: January 22, 2017, 05:35:01 am »

I should find it funny that the Xcom expansion is completely non-canon :P

At least I haven't yet seen any references to it...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:16 am »

Most of the first game isn't canon in Xcom 2. That's kind of the point of it, one could say.

One of the bandannas you can choose for your squad is the EXALT one.

Though to be honest, XCOM got rekted in xcom2 canon long before any of the stuff from XCOM EW came into play.
I do wish that the robosquid things had been revamped and added to 2, though. They would have fitted in better with the multi-species pods and time limits of 2.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:02 am »

Most of the first game isn't canon in Xcom 2. That's kind of the point of it, one could say.

One of the bandannas you can choose for your squad is the EXALT one.

Though to be honest, XCOM got rekted in xcom2 canon long before any of the stuff from XCOM EW came into play.
I do wish that the robosquid things had been revamped and added to 2, though. They would have fitted in better with the multi-species pods and time limits of 2.
Also, Shen's MEC prototypes are mentioned in the Advent MEC autopsy, and Durand's fellow psions can be found in an event, albeit not alive due to the alien containment protocols.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: January 22, 2017, 09:32:11 am »

I forget where I saw it exactly, but Shen's Last Gift explains the Advent MECs are derived from Shen's MEC prototypes that the ADVENT found when they were occupying Julian's tower.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: January 22, 2017, 10:09:40 am »

I think Julian himself also started life as the base AI who you hear in the help menus in XCOM 1 (he announces himself, albeit not by name, when reading Shen's bio).  He was reinstalled in the ADVENT tower facility after the base fell, when he was captured and broken by ADVENT. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: January 22, 2017, 12:04:46 pm »

*sigh* I think I may have to abandon my current campaign. Too many mods have changed, I think. Stuff is certainly messing up. Almost every single one of my high level troops has abilities that aren't showing up, including armor abilities like grappling hooks and heavy weapons. They're good enough that I'm winning missions anyway, but it is frustrating. And I'm not sure I'd be able to beat the final mission hamstrung like this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:27 am »

*sigh* I think I may have to abandon my current campaign. Too many mods have changed, I think. Stuff is certainly messing up. Almost every single one of my high level troops has abilities that aren't showing up, including armor abilities like grappling hooks and heavy weapons. They're good enough that I'm winning missions anyway, but it is frustrating. And I'm not sure I'd be able to beat the final mission hamstrung like this.

That'd be all the mods updating to Long War 2.

Go play Long War 2.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:29 am »

Why is meld not a thing anymore? i liked mutating my soldiers in xcom 1

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:24 am »

Why is meld not a thing anymore? i liked mutating my soldiers in xcom 1

Meld served the meta of the first game... As that game tended to boil down to camping.

This game is more about mobility.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:17 am »

Also, why would you want to become human-alien hybrids like ADVENT?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:24 am »

Yeah Meld was replaced, mechanics-wise, by straight-up evac timers.

I don't think there's any good explanation for why they were landing meld canisters in XCOM1:EU.  Obviously EXALT used a lot, but even critically damaged alien ships always dropped a few canisters a few dozen meters away.  I don't know that there's any explanation for that.

And even EXALT was only, very marginally, working toward alien interests.  Maybe they seemed like candidates for the Ethereal experiments...  But based on one mission (the dam, I think?) they were definitely fighting against the aliens.  They just happened to be fighting XCOM also, and somehow exceeding Vahlen in transhumanist zeal.

Also, why would you want to become human-alien hybrids like ADVENT?
I don't understand the question, why would you not
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: January 23, 2017, 01:52:09 am »

There is a reason I originally thought the Meld was the aliens attempt to win by sending meld back in time to hopefully change the outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 469