Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 696199 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Et Elegit Sanguis Infectus
« Reply #7005 on: January 02, 2019, 02:10:52 am »

Admittedly, I've spent most of my time doing every damn mission, but according to some players you can skip missions and not suffer consequences outside of missing out on the stuff you would've been rewarded with (scientists, exp, etc.). I don't know how accurate that information is, honestly, as I've not done science on it myself, but considering how many missions you're getting bombarded with I'd say the game can't possibly expect you to do them all.

I've been playing on Veteran difficulty and I've never felt like the game was throwing a million things at me. Things pop up often enough, yeah, but I've never run so low on troops that I literally couldn't field enough guys. Maybe the jump from Veteran to Commander is just that insane?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: January 02, 2019, 10:23:41 am »

I have found that having a large stable of bodies to throw at missions is important. You don't get super-soldiers as quickly, but you also have the ability to withstand half your squad getting injured by the Chosen when they show up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7007 on: January 02, 2019, 11:05:55 am »

Back when I was playing this I took a lesson from long war and organised my squads into teams. Give them an A:, B:, C:, D: etc before their first name to help manage what the game doesn't give you a better UI for.

Keep cycling the teams, and use the wounded soldier cool downs to open up a gap on easier missions to train new members to build up new teams in the background that you can then cycle to.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: January 05, 2019, 10:54:04 pm »

I was gonna try abandoning but we got an easy mission on the load I was gonna try, so I just beat it and moved on.  Now we're on the mission the blacksite vial spawned, getting our dicks blown off by andromedons.  I'm gonna have to rethink this one, we made it to the facility with no trouble even from the Assassin, but the last pod (Heavy MEC, Andromedon, Shieldbearer) is clowning on us
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »

Well, someone finally got around to porting the LW2 Perks over to War of the Chosen, so I picked up my modding again.

After a fair bit of trouble and lots of help from the modding discord, I've finally gotten my first new class done. The Vanguard, designed to rush forward and get into trouble. Has Lightning Reflexes at squaddie and a Scout Tree (extra vision, holotarget, low profile, etc), an Assault Tree (Run & gun, Bonus crit at close range, and other shotgun related stuff), and Gunslinger Tree (with all the pistol related stuff). Uses Rifles, Shotguns, Bullpups, and pistols.

So far, works great. I cheat a few up to Colonel and Brigadier rank to test everything and they work like a charm. Each branch is very useful in its own right and you can mix and match for some neat combos.

Now to start working on the next batch. I've got 8 queued up to replace the base & lw2 classes, plus a set of 'stretch goal' classes of varying difficulty that I'd like to do. But we'll see how my motivation holds up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:13 pm »

I was gonna try abandoning but we got an easy mission on the load I was gonna try, so I just beat it and moved on.  Now we're on the mission the blacksite vial spawned, getting our dicks blown off by andromedons.  I'm gonna have to rethink this one, we made it to the facility with no trouble even from the Assassin, but the last pod (Heavy MEC, Andromedon, Shieldbearer) is clowning on us
I know its been 3 months, but did you in fact get clowned on?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: April 12, 2019, 05:19:09 pm »

Any recommendations for a good XCOM player on Youtube? I'm trying to find someone good playing through War of the Chosen to keep me entertained, since I don't have a computer good enough to play XCOM 2 myself.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: April 12, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »

Any recommendations for a good XCOM player on Youtube? I'm trying to find someone good playing through War of the Chosen to keep me entertained, since I don't have a computer good enough to play XCOM 2 myself.

It's heavily modded, but BeagleRush has a really good run going on his channel right now. It's his stream chopped up into chunks, but I expect it works pretty well. I've been watching the vods, and enjoying them quite a bit.
Come play Mafia with us!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: April 12, 2019, 05:39:52 pm »

Beagle is pretty consistently entertaining.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: April 20, 2020, 06:33:15 pm »

Anyone have a link to the Bay12 character pool?
I seem to have lost it myself, and my searching have been unsuccessful.
If it however is permanently gone, I'd like to know where I can find some decent non-steam links to other character pools.
in advance, thanks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: April 24, 2020, 01:36:26 am »

Chimera Squad just came out. Super cheap too.

--------

I played about 2 hours of it. Quite enjoyable. Feels quite feature packed for a $10 game. I'd play more but work tomorrow.

I feel like I'm playing some kind of Ghost in the Shell game actually, not an XCOM one. An "operating on the fringes of legality" police unit filled with oddball characters with unique abilities, tasked with defending a futuristic city from all sorts of crazy terrorists.

I'm not a fan of the overly enthusiastic voice acting. Everyone sounds so... chipper and young for some reason. Thankfully I have a giant surly muton to balance things out.

I'd recommend it for sure.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: April 24, 2020, 02:20:54 am »

Chimera Squad just came out. Super cheap too.

--------

I played about 2 hours of it. Quite enjoyable. Feels quite feature packed for a $10 game. I'd play more but work tomorrow.

I feel like I'm playing some kind of Ghost in the Shell game actually, not an XCOM one. An "operating on the fringes of legality" police unit filled with oddball characters with unique abilities, tasked with defending a futuristic city from all sorts of crazy terrorists.

I'm not a fan of the overly enthusiastic voice acting. Everyone sounds so... chipper and young for some reason. Thankfully I have a giant surly muton to balance things out.

I'd recommend it for sure.

Sounds like foul xeno bullshit.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Chimera Squad
« Reply #7017 on: April 24, 2020, 02:22:02 am »

Played about an hour, so I can't say I have a comprehensive feel for it. It feels almost more like a weird puzzle game (with bullets!) than a tactical combat game so far, but I imagine that changes with more complex encounters. It might also be my fault for picking normal difficulty. It really does have a very on-rails feel, though.

I agree with umiman about the voice acting. It's SO overdone and hammy. I haven't encountered a single character I don't dislike so far. Admittedly, I also didn't like any of the voiced admin NPCs in either of the prior NuComs*, so YMMV.

*Well, okay, maybe Dr. Vahlen, but she also had the least developed character of any of them, so...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:31:29 am by E. Albright »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Chimera Squad
« Reply #7018 on: April 24, 2020, 03:19:16 am »

*Well, okay, maybe Dr. Vahlen, but she also had the least developed character of any of them, so...

What?? I personally thought "vaguely german-accented ethically challenged scientist" was such a well-rounded and original concept  :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: April 24, 2020, 05:17:04 am »

Thankfully I have a giant surly muton to balance things out.

Wrex?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469