Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 694765 times)

eeviac

• Bay Watcher
  • Seven
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »

Looking forward to this. Never played Apocalypse but it has a lot of cool ideas IMO. NewCOM was kinda weak but the expansion was an improvement and Long War made it something special.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »

So far they've successfully proved that they can make a decent game, but are fucking hopeless at re-imagining things. Because they've never successfully given us what we wanted. An updated Xcom, with pretty graphics, and more and lots of everything. We didn't even mind their cover system, it was pretty cool, just the rest was kind of crap (yes, I am using the royal "We" if you don't agree).
And by "We" you mean "extremely vocal minority."

I don't think this has been brought up already, but someone from Reddit pointed out this:
Quote from: Reddit
... the picture with "Advent gene therapy will free you from illness" is clearly Toronto, Canada, as the CN Tower is visible, ...
Mega-Primus, Apocalypse's city, was built on the ruins of Toronto. The person could be wrong, but it's an interesting observation.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »

Does anyone have any idea when the hacks update? Midnight wherever 2K/Firaxis is?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2015, 10:04:52 pm »

So far they've successfully proved that they can make a decent game, but are fucking hopeless at re-imagining things. Because they've never successfully given us what we wanted. An updated Xcom, with pretty graphics, and more and lots of everything. We didn't even mind their cover system, it was pretty cool, just the rest was kind of crap (yes, I am using the royal "We" if you don't agree).
And by "We" you mean "extremely vocal minority"

Ummm. Not really. When there's at least two spiritual successors to a fairly good game, that are free to play, and that have tens of thousands of downloads, with good coders giving input for free regardless of time or money, it's not QUITE a minority opinion.

There is quite a large amount of opinion that oldXcom was actually better in every way, and that newXcom lacked quite a lot as its successor. Which I hope newXcom2 can alleviate, because otherwise they're not getting my money, or hype, or support.

If the game is real, fine. Otherwise: Fuck the hype.

Or it'll fuck you. With your money, your time, and your support of it.
It's a game. Have fun.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »

This isn't a thread for those perfectly good alternatives which are more true to OldCOM though...
You've shared your opinion, but this thread is for the new NewCOM.  If you really need to discuss the benefits of OldCOM vs NewCOM, again, that really belongs in the original thread - where it's been rehashed to death already, by the by.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:09 pm »

Indeed. As the royal "We" was "I".

Damn I hope this is a good game. A BS "hackeretized" marketing campaign actually gives me more room for doubt than it would goodness. They may have missed the.boat on this sort of stuff.

Or maybe they're holding onto something really good? Who knows? Seems like deceptive, annoying bullshit to me.

Go fuck the hype with an auto-cannon on full auto, says I. They can blow it out the bunghole of their choice. Until then, blah!

BLAHITTY, BLAHITY, BLAH!

:This was an encoded message from BLAH!:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:24:16 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2015, 10:35:14 pm »

Ummm. Not really. When there's at least two spiritual successors to a fairly good game, that are free to play, and that have tens of thousands of downloads, with good coders giving input for free regardless of time or money, it's not QUITE a minority opinion.
Not quite disagreeing with you, but I'd like to point out that "enjoys similar free alternative to game" does not necessarily mean "doesn't like the original or later official versions". You can like two things that are similar but different without necessarily needing one to "never give you what you wanted".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2015, 10:39:33 pm »

This thread is not for the disparagement of NewCom and reminiscence of OldCom. It is not for OpenXCom, Xenonauts, or any of the other purist projects.

I get it. OldCom is a cult classic and its most ardent supporters feel the need to bring down any Firaxis project that is not a purely graphical recreation of an OldCom game. I don't care. In only ten pages there have been two or three fights over this, and that's just bad.

This thread exists for the discussion of the new X-Com game. If you're here to talk about how much you're against NewCom and to reminisce about OldCom or the other successor projects, save it. Make your own thread. This game clearly isn't for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:28 pm »

KVERNBLAh!:26839
IUGnOSTA

Because random stuff is. I've said that I enjoyed.both games. They both had excellent gameplay concepts. In a way, both minorities want XCOM2 to be really good.

I hope it's worth buying.

But never believe the <REDACTED>

ps. I enjoyed old and new. I'll happily say so. Hell, I played new on console. It was pretty cool.

But remember the HYPE. Because. If Long War didn't happen, it was still a standard "quick play, buy the next" game. So remember vanilla and know that it could have been better. Even without horse armour thingy packs. I hope XCOM2 doesn't burn us like XCOM1 did, with graphical glitches, map fuckups, horrible "you MUST do this" pacing, and other such bad design and coding elements.

And with a bullshit, no-information advertising campaign to start this, it'd better be better than their last attempt.

Personal gameplay wishes aside.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:52:47 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2015, 10:51:29 pm »

Anyone want to guess what the object to the right of Andrew (At the bottom right corner) is?  It looks kind of like a propeller.  So either he is in some kind of ventilation shaft in an underground bunker, or at an airfield about to be evacuated with some old school planes. Or I'm an idiot and that isn't a propeller at all.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »

It both looks like one of those old-timey propellers and doesn't at the same time. I'd say it isn't (and naturally guess they're in a bunker), but I honestly have no idea.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2015, 10:55:11 pm »

It looked like a propeller to me at first, but I figured it to be some kind of metallic tunnel, either an escape route or an underground XCOM base.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:27 pm »

It would be nice if they added off-map support of some flavor, or even just semi-on map support (like having the skyranger take off again and suppress areas with MGs). Hell, if they added local forces again, that in itself would be nice.

Also, looks like they update at PST, since most things update then or at EST, and it doesn't at EST...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:43:37 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2015, 11:51:34 pm »

I must say, even though I think that overall the old X-coms were better, the new XCOM was still really good. It made the change from having a large squad of not-so capable fodder to having a small team of supersoldiers (at least in the end game). That said, some things were clearly lacking or flawed. Below is a list of things that will make the next XCOM a legendary successor and a great game:

1. Different ammo types. I fell in love with the Apocolypse auto cannon because it was a readily available, easy to use, and versatile tool that sported armor-piercing, high explosive, and incendiary rounds! I need my incendiary again damn it! You could sweep an entire battlefield and kill all the enemy without ever seeing them. They could be equipment easy to implement.

2. Wider arsenal. This is something the new game actually did fairly well. UFO: Enemy Unknwon only had pistols, rifles, and heavies. The new game added sniper rifles, and light rifles(plasma only, unfortunetly) in the case of weapons, which was okay. Where it shined was the armor selection. You had the first available carapace, decent armor, skeleton, a cheap, quick moving, almost as protective as carapace, with a grapple. Then you Titan which was all health and protection. Archangel: flight, good health. Ghost: Invisibility, grapple, 8 health, environmental protection (a little better than all others, Jack of all trades, master of all, but very expensive in money and elerium) and Psi-armor which is self explanatory. Expand the weapons and keep doing what you're doing armor-wise.

3. Free aiming! I want to shoot out cover and destroy the battlefield to make it a giant death zone for the enemies. If I have a feeling the enemy is there, why can't I shoot and find out.

4. Shots traveling. Alright, maybe I missed that muton, but the shot shouldn't pass right through his buddy I saw it clearly pass though.

5. Inventory management mid-mission. My soldiers should be able to pick up weapons or equipment from that dead or knocked out soldier.

6. If this is going to be apocolypse, please get the politics and relations system right this time. The original was basic, but you have the time and technology to do better.

7. Aliens need to stop teleporting, unless they have some sort of teleporting technology which would be cool and frightening if it existed, but does not officially exist.

8. Continue expanding psionics and make it a gameplay factor throughout. The new psionics abilities were really cool and versatile, and it was a shame they could only be used in the end game.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:54:43 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2015, 12:10:01 am »

Yes, more equipment is a must.  Aside from the extra two soldiers, equipment is the main reason I use Long War.  Extra goodies is the bread and butter of these kinds of games (At least for me).  I don't just want a rocket launcher.  I want a rocket launcher,, and a multi-rocket launcher, and an autocannon, and so on.  Which all works best with free aiming, of course.  Don't add more then three variations of the same weapon.  Using Long War as an example, you had the battle rifle, the assault rifle, and the carbine.  They all fullfill the same role, but they give you options.  Give several different routes of research.  Instead of just copying what the aliens are doing, add a tree that branches off part way through where new human made weapons come into the fore.  Maybe once we learn how to make lasers, we can apply the lessons regarding energy storage to railguns, which have distinct advantages and disadvantaes compared to plasma weapons that we get off the aliens.  The railguns might be more powerful, but you have less of a ROF, so your soldiers need to be more accurate to use them effectively. Let us branch into cybernetics, or gene therapy, or psionics, or robotics.  Give us the option of equipping a large amount of soldiers with cheap disposable weaponry, or pour all our resources into a few very powerful weapons. Don't just give a linear tree with straight upgrades.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 469