Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 696312 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Et Elegit Sanguis Infectus
« Reply #6870 on: September 12, 2017, 10:28:04 pm »

Double posting for PSA: DO NOT USE THE TEMPLAR'S FEEDBACK ORDER

If a codex uses the normally semi-harmless psi-bomb on you, feedback will cause it to clone during the alien's turn.  The clone can appear basically anywhere and is guaranteed to fire its rifle that turn.  I found this out the hard way and suffered 3 losses; was inches away from a squad wipe.  Managed to achieve a (nominal) victory by grabbing the objective and rappelling out, but had to leave a 1 health, berserk and experienced soldier behind on the battlefield, alone with 4 aliens and about 20 lost.  Through a miracle he recovered from the panic in a single turn and managed to escape by the skin of his teeth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:03 pm »

Damn, they really should make the clones spawn with no AP, at least if they appear on the enemy turn.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:33 am »

So...decided to watch Beaglerush playing WotC over my lunch break and saw a really good weapons mod he was using called Resistance Firearms. Went out and subscribed to it, all well and good. After work I booted up a new game but even after a bit I never saw the new guns. Went out and looked and turns out  that the mod had just vanished. That's a shame, I really liked the guns from that one. Wonder why the mod author brought it down?

On the other hand, I played the test game long enough to level up my starting Templar. She has reaper as her first available xcom skill. I...I may need this to be more than a test save.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:28:53 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:01 am »

Hot damn.

Had a Skirmisher with return fire and deep cover. He was a real fun guy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:08 pm »

My skirmisher is specced for full ripjack/CQC and holy fucking shit is it awesome.  Just last mission we unexpectedly encountered a sectopod after the whole squad moved (one of those glimpse through a window things).  He grappled up above it, electrocuted it with his wirethrower, threw a grenade at it, shot it with his gun, then used bladestorm to stun a lancer during the enemy turn.

Side note, but am I the only one that finds Mox adorable?  All he wants is for humans to approve of him.  His lines for failing to resist mind control are vaguely horrifying.  "I was... created to serve... the elders."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:18 pm »

Mox makes me wish for a Stargate total conversion mod.

The Skirmishers are such perfect Jaffa.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:39 pm »

So...decided to watch Beaglerush playing WotC over my lunch break and saw a really good weapons mod he was using called Resistance Firearms. Went out and subscribed to it, all well and good. After work I booted up a new game but even after a bit I never saw the new guns. Went out and looked and turns out  that the mod had just vanished. That's a shame, I really liked the guns from that one. Wonder why the mod author brought it down?

On the other hand, I played the test game long enough to level up my starting Templar. She has reaper as her first available xcom skill. I...I may need this to be more than a test save.
Because they reuploaded it in a different way.

So I've been having a strange bug, and I'm not sure what mod exactly is causing this, but if I build a SPARK, the game freezes as soon as its finished construction. So far my answer has just been 'Don't build a spark', but thats a lame solution.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: September 13, 2017, 12:34:24 pm »

Just finishing my first WOTC  playthough at commander level and the end game has been a complete cakewalk. I guess I had only 4 soldies killed the entire game (I didnt want to reload in those instances because they were stupid/not important/I was lazy). Now I wish I had played Iron man instead.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:00 pm »

Just finishing my first WOTC  playthough at commander level and the end game has been a complete cakewalk. I guess I had only 4 soldies killed the entire game (I didnt want to reload in those instances because they were stupid/not important/I was lazy). Now I wish I had played Iron man instead.
If you'd played on ironman it would've broke at somepoint and been super frustrating.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: September 13, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »

If you'd played on ironman it would've broke at somepoint and been super frustrating.

In the beggining it was quite challenging, I had to reload constantly. In the endgme I pass though most mission with most soldiers unscathed and I never have to reload.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »

My ironman run ended when the game decided to spawn my entire squad in one tile - indoors -, surrounded by two codex, two mutons, a berserker, a lancer and the bloody viper king.  They promptly grabbed every single bit of cover in range of my soldiers.

Psionic Rift in a confined space, with an alien ruler is not very fun.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: September 13, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »

My impression is that with iron man you will have some defeats and important losses so you won't have multiple squads with colonels ready for anything, so the challenge will be more constant through the game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: September 13, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »

Iron man is pretty much the same as regular man.

Except when you fuck up in the early / mid game you restart instead of reloading.

Or you can keep going if you want. You'll probably lose though, especially on Legend.

The only reason to play it is so you can act smug and superior over all the subhuman races who play easy games.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »

I'm playing commander/ironman and so far its been exciting into the lategame.  I thought I was playing efficiently yet I still fell behind the curve at one point.  Now I've got a couple psi ops trained up and plasma rifles and things have stabilized, but its still not a done deal.  I've got some truly horrifying dark events running: Xcom doesn't start concealed and chosen have no weaknesses.  The lost are growing as a threat instead of shrinking, the dashers spawn with 7-8 health and single dashers have hit for *4* damage.  The fields are swarmed with powerful mechanical and psi units.  I was too worried about wounds to do facility missions so for the first time ever I found out what happens if the Avatar pips fill up (which is really awesome BTW, its like 24).  I'll Assume I don't get any more second chances there; but its almost filled up again, a lot of the A team is still wounded, and both me and the assassin are ready to attack each other.  Basically shit is still tense when it should be trivial.  If I hadn't augmented the B team with overpowered psi ops, I might have actually lost an entire campaign maybe 20-30 hours in, via normal gameplay with little bullshit.  That's... a change, for sure.

What's weird is I feel like I was pretty efficient both leveling up the squad, and researching tech.  I mean I did the new autopsies and got psi + some breakthroughs, but... aside from that I pretty much rushed down tier 3 weapons/armor with a lab and it STILL felt like I couldn't get my soldiers upgraded soon enough.  And I didn't lose anyone until elite MECs and Andromedons started appearing, which is quite lategame.  I'd say these are probably why the campaign is still interesting:
1.  I chose not to do the sabotage covert op (automatic -1 avatar progress per month) on the grounds that it would make the campaign trivial.  Ditto for not building mimic beacons.  And I avoided spamming the "reduce avatar progress" covert action more than a couple times since it feels cheap.
2.  I got psi ops late.  They're definitely... still a balance problem.  That's not why I got them late tho, I just didn't feel like it was worth the money/research time in the early vulnerable stages of Xcom.
3.  I rushed the GTS and training center immediately.  I'd have to say this was a mistake.  They both seem like buildings that are best when Xcom is already established.
4.  I didn't build the infirmary, and in fact don't have the room to build it.  This is a big one, the infirmary seems like it would shift the game into a more base-game mindset of having 6 colonels.  I also avoided using orders to make the squad recover quickly, although I caved and got the 20% will recovery one because tiredness was becoming a problem.

Overall, between the dark events + sitreps, the lost, the chosen, the rulers, the different mission types, the varied enemies the base game already had, the fact each mission I bring different types (and even numbers) of troops... this campaign hasn't gotten old yet.  And I find *all* Xcom lategames boring including oldcom and xenonauts.  I have to say tho, especially without a WOTC "skip gatecrasher" mod, I'm not sure I'd want to play legendary.  I *like* being able to make risky moves and still come out on top, the idea of having to play an even longer campaign AND have to be uber thoughtful every move doesn't sound like a fun time.  I'm considering playing an "all dark events are permanent" run on commander, but some of them (lost world, no concealment) seem like they would be less "difficult" and more "tedious and repetitive."  I'm thinking of other self imposed challenges or mods/mutators to do, preferably with a focus on lategame difficulty.  I'm not sure the chosen will have any longevity for future campaigns; I already kind of groan when the assassin appears.  The warlock seems better designed, the hunter is cool but also kind of trivial and his animations are on the long side.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: September 13, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »

Infirmary is basically 'Do you like having dudes wounded for months or not?' when it comes to gravely wounded. Skipping it sounds like a terrible idea imo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 469