Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sometimes I create tabletop rpgs; heres an example? What do you guys think?  (Read 1152 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wasn't quite sure what to name my topic, but there it is. My computer is like 90% of my entertainment and even when I am tired of it, I still cant keep myself away from it. This combined with a bored creative mind, and a personality that creates long term projects but can never keep them, I find myself doing odd things, such as making tabletop rpgs.

There are 3. One is based on Dragon Ball Z. Its almost complete and power levels play a major part, but I am afraid of putting it anywhere on the web out of fear of being sued or other similar legal action. Another is set in the future where one builds there own type of military vehicles. That one is 50% complete. The best way to describe it is think an rts crossed with Armored Core (if your familiar with that franchise) and a dash of rpg. Lastly I am working on one set in a high fantasy universe. Its partly inspired by Runescape, Final Fantasy and of course Dwarf Fortress. This is the one I want to discuss.

All of these tabletop games are playable by a single player thanks to a system I made where the dice decide what happens to the player. They can be played by many players as well. None of these games have a name, and the ones in a playable state I do play every once in a while (the dbz one I find quite fun).

Bear with me, as there is a lot to talk about with this game. As mentioned it is a high fantasy tabletop rpg able to be played by a single player. What can happen to a player greatly varies on the roll of the dice. The player can find loot, randomly generated dungeons, towns and different types of topography with its own set of things to do and creatures to battle. The game world is not friendly.

My tabletop gaming experience is admittedly limited, but not bereft. Although I have not played a single tabletop rpg for a long period of time, I have played numerous different ones. The game itself boasts the following:

Around 90 different materials one can find by mining, trading, monster drop or looting. These range from metals, raw material to gems, most of which are used to make weapons, armor or stud these (more on that below).

190 spells (so far). They are learned from making materials into studs (which require a certain level depending on said material, and can be made in different qualities based on your level). These studs are to be placed on your equipment in order to learn the corresponding spell. They all require Ap to be learned, gained by fighting monsters.

Varying qualities for weapons, armor and studs, based on ones own level, the material level and the luck of the dice. A good quality can be a huge boon to a weapon, or a bad quality can adversely affect it or even render it useless.

96 different weapon types (aiming for 99). Choose wisely, as the more you use a weapon type, the more proficient you become with it.

46 different enemies to fight (108 in the works).

A level up system that goes on indefinitely. You can never be a too high in any given level, as it has its perks.

Dungeons randomly generate, some can go on and on, with many badys to fight, and loads of treasure.

I have LOTS planned for this game in the future, but right now working on getting it playable. I want to add the ability for the player to become leader of a town by either over powering its militia, or working through it's politics. I want to also add buildings the player can acquire and use as a house, shop, business, ect or all the above. Towns and cities to become under siege by enemies. Ability to build upon the cities infrastructure, military and economy. The leader of said cities to be able to have different branches of militia, where a citizen has a certain requirement to graduate from an academy. The higher the requirement the more effective that unit would be, but also the less the amount of graduates. Much more.

Are there many tabletop rpgs designed to be effectively played by a single player? Is there a even a desire for such a game? The game itself is nearing what I would perhaps consider its alpha phase, as it is almost able to be played in its most basic form. For my other game I use "Faylin's Dice Roller" a calculator and a notepad with infinite undo, and this one will be no different. I am curious if anyone has any interest in it, and if so, I am willing to post the docs I use for the game itself. If not, I guess I will keep it to myself.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:05:37 pm by ykcud »

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

Are there many tabletop rpgs designed to be effectively played by a single player? Is there a even a desire for such a game?

I think there might be a few... I think Call of Cthulhu has some single player variants (and of course theres always game rule modding).
Like most board/tabletop though, its much more fun with multiple people.

Also, if anyone wants a side project for what ever the reason may be, I am more than willing to let anyone make the game into a MUD or something else if they are feeling more ambitious, but I do so on certain grounds.

I... think you may be getting ahead of yourself a bit... what with no one even having seen it/played it here yet.

If its single player and you want the forum to check it out... run a game here as sorta one of those suggestion games with options.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are there many tabletop rpgs designed to be effectively played by a single player? Is there a even a desire for such a game?

I think there might be a few... I think Call of Cthulhu has some single player variants (and of course theres always game rule modding).
Like most board/tabletop though, its much more fun with multiple people.

Also, if anyone wants a side project for what ever the reason may be, I am more than willing to let anyone make the game into a MUD or something else if they are feeling more ambitious, but I do so on certain grounds.

I... think you may be getting ahead of yourself a bit... what with no one even having seen it/played it here yet.

If its single player and you want the forum to check it out... run a game here as sorta one of those suggestion games with options.

Ya your probaly right that I am getting way ahead of myself.

What is a "suggestion game"? I can most certainly play a game here, explaining what happened and why during the game.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A suggestion game happens i the Forum Games and Roleplaying section. People make the character, vote on him/her, and then suggest actions for him/her to do, which are also voted upon by other forumites.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see. Thank you.