Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 137

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯):IC Tick ?:Who art thou?  (Read 182794 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯):IC Tick 1:Creation
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 12:25:37 pm »

I believe we have reached sufficient consensus for now. Shall we begin construction a sun? A crystal spiral sun.
"Why a spiral? Agreement has not been reached...as to it being a spiral."
We seemed largely agreed on creating a growing torus planet. The torus planet was initially proposed to be packaged with a spiral sun. Is a spiral sun not acceptable? And if so, why?

((Just clarifying how the spiral would look through a linky))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 12:26:56 pm »

(For the record, as there are sixteen players and Creation is one of the most important times, I will put off any huge creations until the next tick anyway. We should probably do something so I know who is putting what to what...)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 12:37:11 pm »

I believe we have reached sufficient consensus for now. Shall we begin construction a sun? A crystal spiral sun.
We seemed largely agreed on creating a growing torus planet. The torus planet was initially proposed to be packaged with a spiral sun. Is a spiral sun not acceptable? And if so, why?

"When compromise was proposed...suggested arc sun...Why spiral? Arc sun allows...seasons...variety...change....slight but present....spiral seems...unnecessary...overcomplicated....odd...unstable...and so on..."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

Spiral allows for a torus world to have seasons, as distance to the sun will change as the tor spins.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »

"When compromise was proposed...suggested arc sun...Why spiral? Arc sun allows...seasons...variety...change....slight but present....spiral seems...unnecessary...overcomplicated....odd...unstable...and so on..."
((I honestly missed that, my mistake))

Mmm, currently utilized communications methods imperfect. Must attempt to refine them later. Request clarification as to what is meant by a "arc-sun", and how would it allow for seasons? Why are seasons desirable?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:52:30 pm by Demonic Spoon »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

"Oddness. Confusion. Is not simple better?"
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »

"Arc-sun simple...not simplest...but less complex than spiral...propose sixty degree curve...lune or crescent or arc...however one wishes to call it...but...minimal thinning as crystal reaches endpoints of arc...allows seasons and beauty alike...a glowing arc of crystal hanging above, merely dimming and turning, never disappearing...easier than spiral...lovelier than spiral...more effective than spiral...."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 01:18:12 pm »

I oppose the creation of an arc-sun, if find such somewhat aesthetically unpleasant. I suggest we either use a spherical sun or a spiral sun.

In addition, after some research, giving the torus the ability to grow would be prohibitively expensive for negligible gain. If we decide to do it all, I recommend adding this capability to the torus at a much later date, rather than at the beginning.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:20:45 pm by Demonic Spoon »

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:30 pm »

I want room... For expansion. More worlds later. Maybe. Sun must be able to... Grow, with our help. Rest is cosmetic for me. Not worth fighting for. I proposed spiral because it works. Could be a tube. Could be anything. As long as it can be expanded later.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2015, 01:26:25 pm »

"May the sun rise for the first time, whatever shape it may be. However, I must disagree with creating a toroidal planet. Such a world would not see a day-night cycle without further constructs, which goes against my plans. A simple body rotating around its axis, orbiting the sun might not seem interesting, but it follows the so-called KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Still, as it seems you might actually create a toroidal planet despite me, I am going to make a suggestion: a smaller toroidal celestial body, riddled with holes, between the sun and the planet, set to rotate in the opposite direction of the planet. The moon would eclipse the sun at even intervals, creating a day-night cycle."

"On another note, why are you all talking in beige prose? Surely you understand that with the eternity of time we have, there is no need to contract speech unnecessarily. It would also reduce the confusion and misunderstandings I notice between some of you."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

"Any shape can....grow....cannot support spiral....unnecessary, unsatisfying...unappealing...spherical sun more unappealing...."

"Counter proposal...rather than second body to falsify a growth/shadow cycle...many moons...Orbit in spiral shape around planet...disc shaped, to cast shadow more effectively...but not completely...growth must continue...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »

"Any shape can....grow....cannot support spiral....unnecessary, unsatisfying...unappealing...spherical sun more unappealing...."

"Counter proposal...rather than second body to falsify a growth/shadow cycle...many moons...Orbit in spiral shape around planet...disc shaped, to cast shadow more effectively...but not completely...growth must continue...

Interesting. I was planning to create a moon, so this would help bring forth the night some desire.

We seem to be at a sun-based impasse. I recommend others weigh in on the matter of the sun as the two of us alone are unlikely to make progress on this topic.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:07 pm »

"May the sun rise for the first time, whatever shape it may be. However, I must disagree with creating a toroidal planet. Such a world would not see a day-night cycle without further constructs, which goes against my plans. A simple body rotating around its axis, orbiting the sun might not seem interesting, but it follows the so-called KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Still, as it seems you might actually create a toroidal planet despite me, I am going to make a suggestion: a smaller toroidal celestial body, riddled with holes, between the sun and the planet, set to rotate in the opposite direction of the planet. The moon would eclipse the sun at even intervals, creating a day-night cycle."

"On another note, why are you all talking in beige prose? Surely you understand that with the eternity of time we have, there is no need to contract speech unnecessarily. It would also reduce the confusion and misunderstandings I notice between some of you."

You could put moons shaped like half discs above the area you plan to inhabit. That way you will have your day/night cycle.

Lithus projects a hologram of his proposition:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here, This is what I propose.

We were talking with simplistic concept because we were too busy arguing to invent proper speech. Now that you invented it, I suppose we can use it to communicate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:55:42 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »

Rather than spiral, I agree with Lithus/Luthis suggestion of long rodlike sun. Would this be more acceptable to you Teburshe? And to the rest of you as well?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:59:34 pm by Demonic Spoon »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 02:40:01 pm »

"I oppose a Torus. The lack of day and night will result in the sunned side liquefying. Uninhabitable and excessively expensive."

"I propose a pair of spherical suns many planets orbiting each, with several Layline Portals naturally connecting them. A mortal would be capable of using a portal to transit between worlds."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 137