Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I declare a competition!  (Read 4872 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I declare a competition!
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

For the most ambushes at the same time.

To qualify, you must have more than 2 ambushing groups appear within each other's life spans: If one appears, and another appears before the first group is destroyed, that would be 2 groups at the same time.

So far, I just had 3 consecutive ambushes: a spearmen squad, a crossbow squad, and another spear squad. I lost 3 nearly max stat soldiers to them.

Unfortunately, we can't exactly prove our claims, but the community here is good so I think a trust system should work.

Post your best "combos" of death    :p

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I declare a competition!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

Some guys a few days ago (not me) said that s/he got eight in a very short period of time. Something like one dwarf day. I'm sure the person will show up here.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

Well, even though that is "technically" against the rules, that's a friggin lot of goblins, and if they say that's true then that's a winner right there.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

My best fortress is still running in version 173_38c (I don't know why I never upgraded the version).  I had four ambushes appear virtually at once a few game years back: hammers, swords, spears and crossbows.  I was in the middle of executing a mass dump from a remote ore vein and quite a few of my civvies were caught outside.  Lost quite a few before traps and my military managed to rout them.

The most painful loss was the siege engineer I'd built up to expert level from dabbling...so many trees....  My legendary wood cutter (I didn't have any hauling tasks on for him, but I guess you control dump jobs from the orders menu?) got a nasty leg wound from a crossbow bolt and spent a couple years in bed before recovering.

ka KenHR on most other fora.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

I had five in a row once, pretty much one right after the other in the same season.

The first one was a group of kobolds that shot down from above my (then) roofless volcano-top forges. Four groups of goblins showed up a little later while my dwarves were busy roofing the exposed area.

Upside: My military slaughtered all five groups without a single casualty or even one wound. (Hoo-ray on the job training!)
Downside: Lost my dungeon master and an engraver as a result. :-/ (Of course, the DM finally got to use his big, impressive tomb.)

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

Ermm... whats to stop a player from just keeping everyone inside and digging a channel? Theres no way to prove origin time, and I'm pretty sure that the ambushes would just pile up indefinitely.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

I had 2 ambushes myself in a row on an older map. Wasn't quite fun. 2 crossbow squads

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

i had an ambush, a siege another siege and then an ambush all in year 4 ( i had just broken 80 population)

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

I had 6 at once one time. Had a lot of dwarves out collecting wood at the time. Yeah, they all died. One of the goblin squads was composed entirely of crossbows. Seeing this, I gave the order to raise the drawbridge. Unfortunately my dwarves decided that running out to recover their fallen comrades' bodies was more important than pulling that lever. Cue 15 minutes of me scrolling all over the map trying to find that one last thing that remained unforbidden.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

I had 5 appear at once.

Bowgoblins.

It was a mess.  I ended up catching almost all of them with a system of cage traps - but only after losing an entire marksdwarf squad.  Damn fortifications.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

Only three for me, but I was unprepared and it was really costly.  The Group of marksmen must have cost me at least a dozen dwarves by themselves.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

Three ambushes and a siege at the same time. Two ambushes were bows, while the siege consisted of 2x hammers lead by a sword and 1x lashers lead by a spear. For some reason they didn't like eachother and the ambushers massacred the siegers. There was also a spear ambush on the other side of the map but they didn't do anything because they were acting like a pack of roofwolves and spawned on an innacessible plateau overlooking the waterfall.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

Here's the excerpt from my gamelog where I got 8 simultaneous ambushes.  It's a good thing that I had locked down my fortress by this time so the only thing the goblins could reach were the merchants...

quote:

Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
A human caravan from Gil Edu has arrived.
Their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site.
An ambush!  Curse them!
x2
x3
x4
x5
x6
An ambush!  Curse them!
x2
Rakust Etardastot, Gem Cutter cancels Prepare a Raw Fish: Needs unrotten raw fish.
Snatcher!  Protect the children!
The weather has cleared.
Snatcher!  Protect the children!
x2

Mind you, the fortress population at the time was only 21 or so >.<

Another interesting thing I noticed later is that kobolds have a different ambush message.  Yes, they're now ambushing since enough of their thieves made away with loot from the destroyed caravans :-P

quote:

It has started raining.
A thief has stolen a ({narrow giant cave spider silk sock})!
A thief has stolen ({Iron bolts [24]})!
Moldath ErushŠzum, donkey (Tame) has given birth to a donkey foal.
A thief has stolen a ({narrow giant cave spider silk sock})!
A thief has stolen a ({giant cave spider silk quiver})!
A thief has stolen a ({narrow giant toad leather armor})!
A thief has stolen a ({narrow cave spider silk loincloth})!
A elven caravan from Romimi There has arrived.
Unib Šzumedt–l has engraved a masterpiece!
x2
x3
Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods.
Tulon Talinducim, cow (Tame) has given birth to cow calves.
The weather has cleared.
An ambush!  Skulking vermin!
The Stray Donkey foal (Tame) has been struck down.
An ambush!  Skulking vermin!
The War dog (Tame) has bled to death.
The Stray Donkey foal (Tame) has been struck down.
The Stray Cow calf (Tame) has been struck down.
Kib S krithlibash, Woodworker cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by kobold Swordsman.
The dwarves suspended the construction of Rough rock Bridge.
The War dog (Tame) has been struck down.
Kib S krithlibash, Woodworker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by kobold Swordsman.
The Stray Cow calf (Tame) has been struck down.
Kol Rithlutl•r, cow (Tame) has bled to death.
An animal has grown to become a Stray donkey.
Tobul Sigunazuz, Mason cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by kobold Swordsman.
The dwarves suspended the construction of Rough rock Bridge.
Tobul Sigunazuz has become a Recruit.
Tobul Sigunazuz has become a Wrestler.
Nish M”rulvukcas, Child cancels Eat: Interrupted by kobold Swordsman.
Thob Nilbomrek, Mechanic cancels Load Cage Trap: Interrupted by kobold Swordsman.
Thob Nilbomrek has become a Recruit.
Rith Ducimnakas, horse (Tame) has been struck down.
Thob Nilbomrek, Recruit has bled to death.
Squad "The Volcanos of Purifying" has been annihilated!
Fath Oddomcog, donkey (Tame) has given birth to donkey foals.
Kib S krithlibash, Woodworker is throwing a tantrum!
Kib S krithlibash, Woodworker cancels Dump Item: Throwing tantrum.

And finally, sine random fun from a different fortress!

quote:

Sibrek Fikodolon, Weaver cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
Sibrek Fikodolon, Weaver has gone berserk!
Id Kraral†th, Carpenter cancels Construct wooden Bin: Interrupted by Weaver.
Catten Kolothil, Peasant cancels Make bone Crafts: Interrupted by Weaver.
Limul Togalkilrud, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Žs Rig•thn“nub, Miller cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mebzuth Ralcatten, Mechanic cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Limul Togalkilrud, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Aban Tobulziril, Farmer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Catten Ilshem, Bone Carver cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ber Onolgesis, Gem Setter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Etur Dod˘klaltur, Stoneworker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Tekkud As‰nsosh, Animal Dissector cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ustuth •nulbisek, Craftsdwarf cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kivish ‹tebarros, Planter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kad“l N‰lasm”rul, Planter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mafol Kilrudaran, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Datan Thadaban, Planter cancels Plant Seeds: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mafol Libashk“n, Dyer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
—shrir Rimtarrilem, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mistˆm S†kzulesdor, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Udib Timn„rimush, Lye Maker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Datan Thadaban, Planter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ustuth •nulbisek, Craftsdwarf cancels Make bone Crafts: Interrupted by Weaver.
Tekkud As‰nsosh, Animal Dissector cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
M–thkat Tobulzim, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kad“l N‰lasm”rul, Planter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ber Onolgesis, Gem Setter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ustuth •nulbisek, Craftsdwarf cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kad“l N‰lasm”rul, Planter cancels Plant Seeds: Needs Prickle berry Seeds.
Catten Ilshem, Bone Carver cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
S†kzul Ubalmedtob, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Id Kraral†th, Carpenter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Udib Timn„rimush, Lye Maker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
M–thkat Tobulzim, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Bag: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mebzuth Ralcatten, Mechanic cancels Make bone Crafts: Interrupted by Weaver.
Aban Tobulziril, Farmer cancels Store Item in Bag: Interrupted by Weaver.
Limul Togalkilrud, Herbalist has been struck down.
Momuz Emallitast, Fishery Worker cancels Store Item in Bag: Interrupted by Weaver.
Etur Dod˘klaltur, Stoneworker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Žs Rig•thn“nub, Miller cancels Eat: Interrupted by Weaver.
Ustuth •nulbisek, Craftsdwarf cancels Make bone Crafts: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kad“l N‰lasm”rul, Planter cancels Harvest Plants: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mebzuth Ralcatten, Mechanic cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Etur Dod˘klaltur, Stoneworker cancels Harvest Plants: Interrupted by Weaver.
Logem Akrulesis, Fisherdwarf cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Žs Rig•thn“nub, Miller cancels Butcher an Animal: Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item.
Mafol Kilrudaran, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Kib Dorensherik, Bowyer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Id Rurolon, Clothier cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mistˆm S†kzulesdor, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
S†kzul Ubalmedtob, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Catten Kolothil, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Mafol Libashk“n, Dyer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
—shrir Rimtarrilem, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Urist Oddomlilum, Clerk cancels Harvest Plants: Interrupted by Weaver.
Datan Thadaban, Planter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Tirist F“kersazir, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
M–thkat Tobulzim, Herbalist cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Logem Akrulesis, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Weaver.
Catten Kolothil, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Tekkud Erushg˘smer, Woodcutter cancels Harvest Plants: Interrupted by Weaver.
Id Kraral†th, Carpenter cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Weaver.
Udib Timn„rimush has become a Recruit.
Tirist F“kersazir has become a Recruit.
Mistˆm S†kzulesdor has become a Recruit.
—shrir Rimtarrilem has become a Recruit.
Tekkud As‰nsosh has become a Recruit.
Mafol Libashk“n has become a Recruit.
Id Kraral†th has become a Recruit.
Tekkud Erushg˘smer has become a Recruit.
Ast Udosbomrek has become a Recruit.
Sibrek Fikodolon, Weaver has entered a martial trance!
Sibrek Fikodolon, Weaver has been struck down.

As a sidenote, ambushes eventually give up and leave, just the was sieges do.  That 8x ambush hung around long enough to kill the dwarven caravan as well, then  gradually left., one group at a time.  Same with the snatchers and thieves that came at the same time.

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?