Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Real food, or plump helmets  (Read 16008 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real food, or plump helmets
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

HEINOUS COVER YOUR EYES COMMENT BELOW, HIDE THE CHILDREN

Do vegetarians avoid oral sex?  And if not, why not?

igless

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

Spam's a delicacy in Hawaii. It sells for inflated prices. It's crazy.
If there were a Spam version of Plump Helmets, it would have to be
SPH. Stems of Plump Helmets. I want some Sph. Sph sounds good.

Kagus, I can't stand soymilk, soyicecream, or Tofu. Just because you can't stand milk doesn't mean it's crap for the rest of us. Likewise, my wife, a full carnivore, only drinks soymilk because she thinks milk is too fattening.

Othob Rithol, To each their own. I hate people less then I am hated as a general rule, However, anyone who ever threatens me becomes fair game for the rest of their days, especially when I get a chance to rib at them. Are you DENYING my right to rib?!  ;)

benoit.hudson, I am from Colorado, not Wisconsin. Though I am attempting to get to play there one out of every four weekends, and perhaps for a bit in the summer. Strange coincidence eh?

gimli, ethical beliefs. Some people believe it is wrong to eat pork, some people say no beef on fridays, and some people say nothing at all. Everyone does what they think is right and to heck with everyone else, myself included. It is my right, given to me through the blood and sweat from those who came before, assured by my own blood and sweat now, and maintained by the blood and sweat of those who come after I am gone.

Pickerel, I've heard some people say it tastes like chicken. There was also an incident of some guy in Germany selling body parts to another to eat I think... My suggestion for maintaining a healthy diet is simple. Don't concentrate on health so much. Your body is a much more complex manufactory or chemical plant then dietitians truly understand. It seems like every 10 years they change what you 'should' eat to get proper nutrition, saying "this thing wasn't bad for you, we were wrong, eat lots of it but don't eat that..." It doesn't inspire a lot of faith in these people, especially since these are the same guys that told me "You cannot survive as a Vegetarian without taking this grocery list of vitamins" Strangely, I have been healthier throughout my life then my best friend, who had vitamins tossed down his throat by his mother for his entire life, plus what I have accomplished with my life shows my diet isn't lacking. The Secret? Who the hell cares what I eat philosophy of eating. Sure, a pro-body builder can outlift me with all his "protein shakes", though I outrun his out of shape foolish self.  ;)

Awayfarer, I've never met a vegetarian who gave it up for extended life. I imagine that myth has to be based on someone, so maybe one day...

Hyperturtle, I don't kiss and tell, but I can certainly tell you that Oral Sex has nothing to do with eating meat, despite the names occasionally tossed onto it.  ;)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>Are you DENYING my right to rib?!    ;)</STRONG>

A real vegetarian would never rib.

obshroom: Grilled marinated mushrooms are really tasty.  A nice plump helmet that soaked up some dwarven ale, on the magma grill, wrapped in quarry bush leaves for flavour and to keep moist?  That sounds delectable.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>HEINOUS COVER YOUR EYES COMMENT BELOW, HIDE THE CHILDREN

Do vegetarians avoid oral sex?  And if not, why not?</STRONG>

What better source of protein do they have? LOL.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

It's not that I don't like cow's milk, it tastes perfectly fine to me.  It's just that your body can't do that great of a job absorbing the calcium in it, so although it does conatin very high amounts, those very high amounts are for calves, not humans.  And again, thre are some horrible soy products out there, but there are a few that are actually quite good. 'Silk' is one of the better companies.

Also, human flesh is closer to pork than chicken.  In some places, it used to be actually sold discreetly as 'long pork'.  That's where that comment in the latest Pirates of the Carribean movie came from, it refers to cannibalism.  

Burning pig flesh smells exactly like burning human flesh.  It's one of the biggest factors that kept my mom, a former nurse, away from meat.  She knew the smell.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Awayfarer:
<STRONG>

My mother and a number of other folks I know have given it up because in order to get meat something that feels pain has to die. It is probably very rare that folks stop eating meat for longevity's sake.

I stopped eating beef after I read a description of what Kreutzfeldt Yakob's (Mad Cow) disese does to your brain. I understand that the risk for that disese is pretty minimal. I remember a point in wrestler Mick Foley's autobiography. where he mentions that he can't eat reuben sandwhiches now because he puked one onto a fans shoes. Just pointing out that some folks stop eating things due to unpleasant associations.

Just so as not to derail this thread further, I had a funny thought regarding plump helmets. I imagine the stem being flat and nearly wooden and the cap as basically a skin with a thick, porridge-like stuff inside. When a dwarf eats a plump helmet they remove the stem to use as a spoon. Removing it makes a hole in the cap through which they can eat the mush. Once they've emptied the mush-room they eat the cap, sort of like a bread bowl. :-)
The spoon is left over...that's the seed.</STRONG>

I don't buy that either. Broccoli and other plants have a central nervous systems and many plants are known to "scream" as they die, producing a "fear" like response in nearby plants that detect it.

[joke]Your just a kingdomist, hating kingdoms other than your own kind. Animal power! [/joke]

I as a human was born and bred to hunt and kill. It is in my canines, it is in my bifocal color vision, it is in my grasping talons, it is in my pack behavior, it is in my intellect and cunning. These are all hallmarks of a predator. Humans are omnivorous and we are predators, as are all our nearest relatives. There is nothing immoral about killing for food.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

You know, we have more molars than we do canines...  And unless you really haven't been trimming your nails lately, I can't call those "talons".

But I'm not going to get into that discussion, as it is utterly and completely pointless.  Humans were originally, and are now, completely omnivorous.  We will eat anything that does not eat us first, whether it be plant, animal, or mineral.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>You know, we have more molars than we do canines...  And unless you really haven't been trimming your nails lately, I can't call those "talons".

But I'm not going to get into that discussion, as it is utterly and completely pointless.  Humans were originally, and are now, completely omnivorous.  We will eat anything that does not eat us first, whether it be plant, animal, or mineral.</STRONG>

Of course, and we should really be eating more grain, fruit and/ vegetable than meat.

You are right though, it is a pointless discussion. It is possible for someone to eat healthfully without meat, and just as easy (perhaps slightly more so) for someone to eat healthfully with meat.

Edit: [on topic] I had mushrooms on a hamburger i had for lunch. Mushrooms are good.[/on topic]

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Nadaka ]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nadaka:
<STRONG>Of course, and we should really be eating more grain, fruit and/ vegetable than meat.

You are right though, it is a pointless discussion.</STRONG>

Your fault for being off-topic by not mentioning mushrooms.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

Well look at what the topic is, have you ever forgotten to eat because you grew Dwarf Food?  :)

The topic is, Weird eating habits. Why not discuss vegetarianism, Spam, Cannibalism, and other topics?

;)

SPH IS MY FOOD OF CHOICE!

Sph and eggs!
Yum.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

I have had "dwarf cancels job: eating" be the trigger to remind me to step away from the screen and start cooking.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>She knew the smell.</STRONG>

Oh, so do I. In my case, it was the doc using a cautery on me, and I was awake the whole time and telling him I was getting electrocuted (or it sure as heck seemed like it, even with the anesthesia). I thought to myself at the time, "Gee, so that's what I smell like being fried! You want a side of veggies to go with your arm?" But it hasn't put me off eating meat.

Oh, and does anyone remember who proposed that the dwarves' dogs were actually some sort of motile fungi? I can't seem to find that old thread...

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 04:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>So, except for the carnivore and a couple germans, most of us are vegetarians from Wisconsin?

(I'm not really from Wisconsin, but I play there on the weekend)</STRONG>

I'm an omnivore from Canada. I eat whatever I feel like eating, be it meat, veggies, Chef Boyardee Ravioli, or raw fish with seaweed and rice. Oh, or gratuitous amounts of yogourt. Organic yogourt. An expensive habit.

Don't be offended, but when I see "US Inspected and Passed by the USDA" I usually decide I'd better buy something else. :P I mean, if they MANAGED to pass american food standards............ I think you can probably all agree though.

Dwarf Fortress.

ZedEh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Want some really tasty mushrooms?  We you have them in the pan, instead of stir-frying them, dump in some balsamic vinegar and let it cook down.  YUM.

The even come out purple(-ish), link helmets.

our sig will appear here

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

If you were a vegan 10,000 years ago you would never have made it....Meat=life.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5