Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapped Deadly Dust FB  (Read 1980 times)

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trapped Deadly Dust FB
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »

So I have managed to lure a deadly dust FB, which apparently covers you in blisters and swell up with blood.  I was able to do so without getting any dwarves infected, but at the very least I know it makes animals into living miasma machines.  Anyway, It's trapped inside what I hope would be the epicenter of my chemical weapon testing facility, but I can't seem to get him going.

Anyone got any clever ideas beyond me tossing pets into his chamber?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Trapped Deadly Dust FB
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:58:15 pm »

Unfortunately, you need a target. 

If you have access to undead, try those.  They should helpfully be immune to the dust, or at least, be immune to re-deadification by the dust.

If not, just try to keep a trickle of piglets or whatever heading its way.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:50 pm »

Well, got a practical deadly dust dungeon room set up now which more or less works.  I have a 10-z drop hole for bait, then a chain gallery over several z-levels which will allow other uninvited guests to experience its wrath.  It has a little more leeway than I'd like (trap-avoid includes pressure pads :/ ), but worst comes to worst it'll just take an extra couple of animals to bring him down to provide justice.

Actually just posting an update because our first test case, an Anaconda man, is currently having those blood blisters explode all over him and rotting, while still alive.  I'm pretty disgusted to learn that his eyes, mouth, fingers and hands have all become 'Mangled beyond recognition', presumably from exploding from extreme blood swelling.  Time to start running cages all over the top of the map, I guess.

Edit:  And a mother and child rotting in the infirmary now.  It was inevitable.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:49:37 pm by Not good with names »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:56:19 pm »

Well, got a practical deadly dust dungeon room set up now which more or less works.  I have a 10-z drop hole for bait, then a chain gallery over several z-levels which will allow other uninvited guests to experience its wrath.  It has a little more leeway than I'd like (trap-avoid includes pressure pads :/ ), but worst comes to worst it'll just take an extra couple of animals to bring him down to provide justice.

Actually just posting an update because our first test case, an Anaconda man, is currently having those blood blisters explode all over him and rotting, while still alive.  I'm pretty disgusted to learn that his eyes, mouth, fingers and hands have all become 'Mangled beyond recognition', presumably from exploding from extreme blood swelling.  Time to start running cages all over the top of the map, I guess.

Edit:  And a mother and child rotting in the infirmary now.  It was inevitable.
That is perhaps, more dangerous than you might think.  If even a spec of Dust from those Dwarves should find its' way onto a bucket or cloth while attending the patients, you could easily be faced with a Fortress-wide contamination.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:15:08 am »

It has a little more leeway than I'd like (trap-avoid includes pressure pads :/ )

Submerged pressure plates are your friend, they trigger on fluid presence and the fb can't help affecting this due to door destruction.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:08:41 pm »

Taptap, you are a brilliant human.  Wouldn't have thought of that, though it will be helpful for my beast traps that currently rely on me checking manually.

As a final update, I was able to feed some goblins to it (though chaining several trolls at once was janky, after the first troll was chained up all further hostiles would attack immediately upon being uncaged).  They sure swelled up like blood pumpkins and learned a valuable lesson month long lesson in pain about bothering my dwarves.

Unfortunately, I started throwing goblins in to the bait trap as I ran out of trogs, who seemed to be the perfect size to survive a 10-z drop most of the time.  I didn't bother stripping them, which was a problem as the deadly dust started picking up clothes and weapons and whipping them around.  Poor little mudball finally got did in by a troll fur sock that fractured his body.

So for future generations, keep your death dungeons clean and your Forgotten beasts will live long happy lives.