Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FPS death  (Read 21676 times)

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS death
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:45 pm »

One way to drastically raise your fps is to go into the "init" file and set the "normal" traffic designation to 0. This means dwarfs will not to take the fastest path to places, but instead the first path generated. This reduces pathfinding calculations but results in some inefficient paths.

It's important to note that changing the default designation only affects new forts- ongoing forts- can't have their designation changed to 0.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »

Interesting, i never played with those values, next worldgen i'll give it a try

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 08:50:29 pm »

One way to drastically raise your fps is to go into the "init" file and set the "normal" traffic designation to 0. This means dwarfs will not to take the fastest path to places, but instead the first path generated. This reduces pathfinding calculations but results in some inefficient paths.

It's important to note that changing the default designation only affects new forts- ongoing forts- can't have their designation changed to 0.

I didn't realize you could set it to a value less than 1...

Can't you set values in-game, now? (Or is that one of those handy DFHack things?)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »

You can set it in game, but in game it can't be set lower than 1. Im the init files, you can even set values to negative(which has very weird effects)
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 11:08:13 pm »

Regardless, I'm not sure if a value of 0 actually does anything that a value of 1 doesn't do. 

The way the heuristic works, if it hits any value above 1, which is the expected best value, it will check nearby tiles to see if they are a 1, and path for that, instead, if they are.  If you have a weight of 1, which is normally only high-traffic, you just check directly in a path towards the target.  In practice, this tends to mean two extra "failed check" tiles on either side of your path with a weight of 2 on "normal traffic".  Assuming fairly straightforward pathing, you have 2/3rds of the pathfind filled with unneccessary checks.  (In practice, fortress design tends to flood-fill multiple hallways and dead-end rooms unless you explicitly low traffic or restricted zone them, so it would be less waste since those dead-end pathfinds don't have that wasted 2/3rds.)

What A* should look like is this image, unless Toady has a weird implementation.  If there's a wall the dwarf has to go around, it doesn't creep along the side of the wall, it fills every tile leading up to the edge of that wall. 

Because of that, a 0 should just make the heuristic behave oddly, and possibly make restricted traffic zones useless.  It's probably better to just take the time out to use the system as it was intended, and paint all your hallways and stairs as "high traffic", while painting your rooms and dead ends as "low traffic".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:29 am »

The fps is tied to game ticks. The faster the fps, the faster the game is ticking. It has nothing to do with graphics or refresh rate.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]