Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 39218 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #375 on: June 02, 2015, 09:41:31 am »

Yeah it looks like it does what it was made to do well...a murder simulator...it looks more like one of those 5 minute "coffee break" games. Which isn't necessarily bad if you are not looking for some GTA clone...don't think I would drop $20 on it though

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:01 am »

I got the feelings that they did the environmental physics and particle effects well, but somehow messed up with character animations and models. Like people mentioned before, the animations in some executions seem jerky and unatural, which is bad for a game that was relying on shock value to attract players. The moment I learned it was going to be a dual stick shooter, I expected the worst, since dual stick shooters seem to attract the worst kind of game development these days, probably because they're not terribly hard to create.

My hopes relied on the fact that, being a dual stick shooter, they would focus on making everything else about the game interesting, since the gameplay would probably be very simple, turns out that they got some things right but other things felt lazy and just bad game design choices. There's no variation in gameplay objectives, you just kinda shoot people with different things. They could've at least added some minor stealth elements, interesting AI, hell, even a decent plot would be nice.

Its not a murder simulator, its just a prettied up version of the original postal game that takes itself too seriously + edgyness. Even the early top view GTA games are better at this.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:05 am »

Also yeah, watching a video, some of those execution anims are....awkward to say the least. Like there's one where he just hits someone on the ground with the butt of his weapon. Even if the animation itself isn't that interesting, many of them still aren't that well-executed in terms of polish.

For a game that is supposed to be about shit like that, it seems strange/funny they did such a poor job on it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 02, 2015, 09:59:33 am »

Yeah it looks like it does what it was made to do well...a murder simulator...it looks more like one of those 5 minute "coffee break" games. Which isn't necessarily bad if you are not looking for some GTA clone...don't think I would drop $20 on it though

It's really not.  Like I said, it's not done realistically enough to really get that feel.  At no point did I feel uneasy at what I was doing.  I feel like Nathan Explosion in some kind of Stepford town, killing robots that sort of act like humans but mostly don't. 

To really make something like this shocking you'd probably want to go first person, add the color back in, really try to get in the character's head and make him somebody we can identify with or at least recognize.  Make the character human with comprehensible, identifiable goals. Make it realistic, make you feel like you're killing people instead of mindless robots, really put you right there in it.  Create a world that feels like it could be down the road, instead of a bleary grayscale dreamworld.  Give the player a glimpse, through their own actions on a world that looks and feels real, with characters that behave realistically, how thin the line between sane life and complete catastrophe actually is.  Let him burn a town just like his and murder people who could be his neighbors and let him think about how what he's doing actually happens on a regular basis.  That would be shocking.

I think the biggest joke of all is the AO rating.  Aside from clumsily invoking actual mass murders, I can think of plenty of games nastier than this.
Shoes...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 02, 2015, 10:21:41 am »

I don't care about how it makes one feel or how shocking it is...I just meant what I said purely on the basis that the premise of the game is to murder people

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:42 am »

Apparently it's a mediocre twin-stick style shooter, with a really bad save system and dialogue that is comically bad. Not Deus Ex goodbad, but apparently somewhere nearby.
I don't know what else you would expect to be honest.

Wait, what? Hatred is a twin-stick shooter? Like Geometry Wars? None of the videos I've seen have been like that.

EDIT: Holy smokes, it is. Boy, I haven't been keeping up to date on this. Another lesson learned about assuming that early videos are showing actual "in-game" footage.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:48:52 am by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:43 am »

If I understand correctly, this game is just a really, really shitty version of the original Postal?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 02, 2015, 11:22:25 am »

Apparently it's a mediocre twin-stick style shooter, with a really bad save system and dialogue that is comically bad. Not Deus Ex goodbad, but apparently somewhere nearby.

Wait, what? Hatred is a twin-stick shooter? Like Geometry Wars? None of the videos I've seen have been like that.

EDIT: Holy smokes, it is. Boy, I haven't been keeping up to date on this. Another lesson learned about assuming that early videos are showing actual "in-game" footage.
What? The very first trailer they put out it immediately went to top down view once he'd finished talking. The only other stuff shown was the finishers, which still get close-ups in the game.

If I understand correctly, this game is just a really, really shitty version of the original Postal?
More like Postal 1 without the tone but better physics and finishers, I guess? Like Postal 1 wasn't that great and it's aged poorly, so I wouldn't exactly call this worse.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:12 am »

The first postal wasn't that great, but at least it didn't take itself seriously, unlike hatred, which seems to take itself seriously despite that the main character is cartoonishly edgy nihilistic. The fist postal was also rather unique at the time it came out, and gained notoriety for touching on sensitive subjects with loads of dark humor. Hatred would've been an interesting game... About 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:26:03 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:36 am »

I don't know about the loads of humour part. Are you remembering Postal 1 or 2? Cause outside of quips thrown by the protagonist, Postal 1 was pretty dark and serious.

Hatred I have no idea what to make of. Like I want to believe they fucked up this bad at making it dark and serious, because it's funnier that way, but occasionally the timing and voice acting makes me think it's intentionally shitty. Like look at the ending on youtube. How could they have not known?

EDIT: Also the main character's voice actor is credited under a pseudonym. I think he knew.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:34:28 am by Virtz »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2015, 11:33:13 am »

What? The very first trailer they put out it immediately went to top down view once he'd finished talking. The only other stuff shown was the finishers, which still get close-ups in the game.

Haven't seen that one. Most of the videos I saw primarily showed the finishers and made it look like an over-the-shoulder shooter. I guess it's kind of a symptom of people covering the controversy more than the actual game. It's also on me for not thinking it looked interesting enough to actually research the game much further.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]