Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 800386 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Do You Know What Makes YOU S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?
« Reply #1800 on: September 19, 2015, 12:54:24 pm »

Someday we gamers will go into politics and fix this shit instead of letting old crones make the decisions...

Spoiler: POLITICS (click to show/hide)

Bohanadas: What about Germany? My understanding is that most companies seem to change things just for Germany to make it work, like giving everyone green blood or removing the stuff Germany doesn't allow.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 19, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

In any case they should definitely limit the sale of the bastardized version to the countries in question and release the original correct version in countries that have free speech.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: September 19, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »

That's what they did for Fallout 1 and 2. They didn't want to do it for 3 onwards because lazy.

Also I'm pretty sure this doesn't come under freedom of speech. Age restrictions on media are pretty standard for things that are films are games and sometimes music I think?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:12:28 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: September 19, 2015, 02:25:09 pm »

Yes, butinsane countriesthey'renotlegallybinding.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 19, 2015, 02:39:16 pm »

I haven't checked I'm glad I checked.  Up until 2011, R18+ didn't exist in Australia.  Games were instead "Refused Classification" and simply banned.  So, there's been progress.

... Except, no, Saints Row 4 and State of Decay were refused classification recently.  Even as R18+.  They were banned for "graphic sexual violence" (an "anal probe" weapon in SR4) and use of illegal drugs as powerups (both).

So...  If Fallout did call the drugs drugs, or clearly admitted that some of them were real old-world drugs, it would *still* be banned.  "Refused Classification".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 19, 2015, 03:09:52 pm »

What a bunch of asshole busybodies
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 19, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »

Oh, Australia.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 19, 2015, 03:41:05 pm »

Also I'm pretty sure this doesn't come under freedom of speech.

Freedom of the Press then.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »

Also I'm pretty sure this doesn't come under freedom of speech.

Freedom of the Press then.
Not that either.

The closest you can get is Freedom of Artistic Expression, but very few people with actual power in their hands consider games as an art form.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: September 19, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »

I am kind of surprised by the game's sort of power seep in this case.

Both power armor and energy weapons used to be end of the game equipment where you seriously could start taking on cities because no one really stands a chance against you. Yet now they are low to mid-tier starting points where ordinary armor is often just as good or in a few cases even better.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 19, 2015, 05:26:17 pm »

There was a laser pistol in the starting house in NV...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:25 pm »

In FO 1 energy weapons were just about better than all the others, yeah. A turbo plasma rifle was pretty much the weapon of choice.

FO2 there were a lot more guns, powerful guns, and a lot more enemies very resistant to energy weapons, especially towards the end.

F3 and NV, of course, energy weapons were much more plentiful, and equal to guns (roughly).

So that was only really true for the first game. But I do agree about the power armour, for the most part.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 19, 2015, 05:51:01 pm »

Heck, the guides I read for Fallout Tactics indicated that energy (and small) weapons were practically useless at the end - only big guns were practical.  Though it was a guide, so they may have just been best.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 19, 2015, 05:55:54 pm »

Fo3 kinda justifief it with the Enclave-BoS fight. They're the guys who have power armour, so they should use it.

The problem I see is that power armour feels weaker than ot should be. I mean, a half-naked Viper with a peashooter that's in worse condition than Megaton after the nuke detonates can easily pick you off.
I think the fact that the world scales doesn't do good. Or if it does scale, give upper limits to some enemies. Kinda like how Borderlands 2 had it in the first playthrough.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 19, 2015, 06:00:22 pm »

Heck, the guides I read for Fallout Tactics indicated that energy (and small) weapons were practically useless at the end - only big guns were practical.  Though it was a guide, so they may have just been best.

No I could believe it. Sometimes games overcompensate against the best weapons and end up giving enemies such resistances that it makes them nigh useless.

Small... Yeah. They were always kind of not something you brought to the final fight. Though for most of the game they were a solid option especially when it came to ammo conservation. Though you always knew that in advance and often covered your weapons.

I think the fact that the world scales doesn't do good. Or if it does scale, give upper limits to some enemies. Kinda like how Borderlands 2 had it in the first playthrough.

Fallout 3 kind of did scaling well. In that while things do scale to your level, you gain power much faster then they do. So early on 3 bandits is a deadly encounter, but later on you can take on 15 of them (some of them with rocket launchers). It helped that the scaling wasn't obscene like in Oblivion... Even a end game bandit isn't that much tougher then the starting bandits (I think at max they are only... twice as tough)

New Vegas had the same scaling system to my knowledge. Yet it suffered from the fact that it never likes to send more then 3 enemies after you (or 4 I forget) and never changed things up. So those three assassins were the same random encounter you got at level 5 through infinity, and that was it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:02:25 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 462