Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 800411 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Do You Know What Makes YOU S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?
« Reply #1815 on: September 19, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »

Install Warzones.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 19, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »

Install Warzones.

Is that a New Vegas Mod?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: September 19, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »

I am kind of surprised by the game's sort of power seep in this case.

Both power armor and energy weapons used to be end of the game equipment where you seriously could start taking on cities because no one really stands a chance against you. Yet now they are low to mid-tier starting points where ordinary armor is often just as good or in a few cases even better.
Hang on a tick, I don't recall them saying anything about power armour being low to mid-tier starting point.

I mean sure it was present in the E3 demo, but for all we know that was most likely just there for demonstration purposes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: September 20, 2015, 09:02:40 am »

I think the fact that the world scales doesn't do good. Or if it does scale, give upper limits to some enemies. Kinda like how Borderlands 2 had it in the first playthrough.

Fallout 3 kind of did scaling well. In that while things do scale to your level, you gain power much faster then they do. So early on 3 bandits is a deadly encounter, but later on you can take on 15 of them (some of them with rocket launchers). It helped that the scaling wasn't obscene like in Oblivion... Even a end game bandit isn't that much tougher then the starting bandits (I think at max they are only... twice as tough)

F3's scaling system was good... unless you installed Broken Steel and got to a high level, when suddenyl there was nothing but super mutant overlords, albino radscorpions, and feral ghoul reavers, and all much tougher and damaging than anything that had come before.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: September 20, 2015, 10:12:50 am »

I think the fact that the world scales doesn't do good. Or if it does scale, give upper limits to some enemies. Kinda like how Borderlands 2 had it in the first playthrough.

Fallout 3 kind of did scaling well. In that while things do scale to your level, you gain power much faster then they do. So early on 3 bandits is a deadly encounter, but later on you can take on 15 of them (some of them with rocket launchers). It helped that the scaling wasn't obscene like in Oblivion... Even a end game bandit isn't that much tougher then the starting bandits (I think at max they are only... twice as tough)

F3's scaling system was good... unless you installed Broken Steel and got to a high level, when suddenyl there was nothing but super mutant overlords, albino radscorpions, and feral ghoul reavers, and all much tougher and damaging than anything that had come before.

Now that explains why I've spoken to people who said that the scaling was absolutely atrocious.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: September 20, 2015, 10:39:15 am »

Yeah, it was all fine up until they start popping up.

The scaling in the DLCs tended to be a bit wonky. Point Lookout, all the hillbillies did an additional, unblockable 35 damage a hit, which made them terribly powerful for mutant rednecks with old shotguns, same as the SM Overlords; the aliens in Mothership Zeta did a Olympic standing leap in health when you crossed the threshold they gained forcefields.

The Pitt and Operation Anchorage were pretty solid, though, even if they tended towards the easy.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: September 20, 2015, 11:53:11 am »

At least for for Mothership Zeta it kind of made sense, unlike in Point Lookout
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: September 20, 2015, 01:25:59 pm »

They also had like what, +25 damage resistance? The things had more defense then the Enclave power armors!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: September 20, 2015, 02:07:32 pm »

They also had like what, +25 damage resistance? The things had more defense then the Enclave power armors!

I'm not saying it was aliens, but...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: September 20, 2015, 02:36:55 pm »

The obvious solution is to skin the hillbillies and wear them over power armour.

It is the only way.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: September 20, 2015, 03:15:24 pm »

Anyone remember the goblins in TES Tribunal? They were tiny people with bone shields and weapons that lived in sewers.

Their shields were like 10x better than Daedric (and lighter and more durable too) and they did stupid amounts of damage compared to the HIGHEST leveled monsters in the base game.
I eneded up ditching whatever I was using and just picking up shields and swords from the goblins and throwing them away when they got broken, ad infinitum, to be able to survive. A shield wouldn't last me more than two battles.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: September 20, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »

Yeah, Point Lookout was crazy. I looked and saw a lumbering brute.
What, he's wearing a white t-shirt and some denim, I'm sure my ballistic fist will blow him away!

Uhum, yeah. That went good. Even with ALL the unarmed perks of NV and 3, it was hard. They're basically Super Mutants in hillbilly disguise.
Reminds me of that cockroach alien wearing the Edgar suit in MIB.

Anyway, point is, unarmoured should mean low DR. And really, I just want to have enemies be consistent. A mole rat should be the same at level 5 and 30. At higher levels, just spawn more or mix some "alphas" in. Just not with  disproportionately inflated DR and health, but stats and skills mainly.

Oh yeah, what about the DT vs DR thing while we're at it? I find DR strange. Do they mean to tell me that after a few attacks power armour becomes negligible?
Not sure I understood how defense works entirely though.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: September 20, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »

Anyone remember the goblins in TES Tribunal? They were tiny people with bone shields and weapons that lived in sewers.

Their shields were like 10x better than Daedric (and lighter and more durable too) and they did stupid amounts of damage compared to the HIGHEST leveled monsters in the base game.
I eneded up ditching whatever I was using and just picking up shields and swords from the goblins and throwing them away when they got broken, ad infinitum, to be able to survive. A shield wouldn't last me more than two battles.
They were just slightly shorter than most races And I just checked the stats, the goblin shield had 20 armour rating (500 durability), while the daedric had 80 (1600 durability). The goblin sword has an attack range of 10-35 for all attacks. The highest attack range of the daedric sword is 1-44). Sorry, but not the case there, maybe with the exception of the sword. That said, the dark brotherhood armour you could get at level 1 with the expansion installed is the second best non-artifact light armour in the game.

Point Lookout hillbillies were outrageously strong, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »

Yeah, Point Lookout was crazy. I looked and saw a lumbering brute.
What, he's wearing a white t-shirt and some denim, I'm sure my ballistic fist will blow him away!

Uhum, yeah. That went good. Even with ALL the unarmed perks of NV and 3, it was hard. They're basically Super Mutants in hillbilly disguise.
Reminds me of that cockroach alien wearing the Edgar suit in MIB.

Anyway, point is, unarmoured should mean low DR. And really, I just want to have enemies be consistent. A mole rat should be the same at level 5 and 30. At higher levels, just spawn more or mix some "alphas" in. Just not with  disproportionately inflated DR and health, but stats and skills mainly.

Oh yeah, what about the DT vs DR thing while we're at it? I find DR strange. Do they mean to tell me that after a few attacks power armour becomes negligible?
Not sure I understood how defense works entirely though.

DR just reduces damage by a percentage.

If you have a DR of 50%, and they shoot you with a 30 damage gun, you'll take 15 damage. DR is capped at 85%.

DT is a straight subduction. If you have a DT of 20, and they shoot at you with a 30 damage gun, you'll take 10 damage. DT can't, however, reduce it below 20%.

If you have both, DR is considered first.
So if you have 50% DR and 20 DT, and they shoot you with a 30 damage gun
DR: 30 - 50% = 15
DT: 15 - DT = -5, so 20% of 15 is 3

You'd take 3 damage.

Makes sense?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: September 20, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »

It's a shame you're not able to heal through taking negative damage.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 462