Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 800053 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Do You Know What Makes YOU S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?
« Reply #1890 on: September 22, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »

Interestingly enough, Wither-world is a place were monsters are too dangerous for common people to become adventurers, meaning there is no need for low-levels to go on rat killing quests.
Love, scriver~

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 22, 2015, 05:53:04 pm »

Anyone see that some music from the game has been released? Not from the radio, but the main theme and an ambient thing. The ambient one has a nautical theme and sounds reeeeal good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »

Interestingly enough, Wither-world is a place were monsters are too dangerous for common people to become adventurers, meaning there is no need for low-levels to go on rat killing quests.

That is most places. The usual way most places in, for example, dungeons and dragons deal with it is to round up 10 guards or soldiers.

Which as for Witcher... Naw people can handle ordinary monsters as well, there are weak monsters, but they often need such large numbers with expected casualties that it is usually better to let the monster free then to deal with it.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1893 on: September 23, 2015, 08:25:45 am »

You know, there are no house cats in TES either, are there? Maybe it's the oversized rats that cause it. I can't recall any worlds where both giant rats/R.O.U.S. and house cats exist.
IIRC, some in universe book on tactics mentioned mute (as in, meowing at best) Khajiit that looked like housecats but were amazing (sentient) spellcasters, and there was a bunch of other regular kitty cats in lore... which may, or may not have been magical Khajit kitty cats... and, I'm not sure but there was apparently a kitty cat spellcaster guardian to some Emperor, possibly Tiber.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 23, 2015, 09:33:07 am »

and, I'm not sure but there was apparently a kitty cat spellcaster guardian to some Emperor, possibly Tiber.
Whoever they were they are officially a supervillain. You just can't have a magical feline bodyguard without being a supervillain. Its the law.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 23, 2015, 09:35:55 am »

I know I am probably unique in saying this... but I hope there are no deathclaws in Fallout 4.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas did nothing but make me like them less and less since they are essentially moving walls that kill you if they touch you... something completely boring to fight and completely stupid if they manage to win against you because they flat out break the rules of the game without any logical explanation for how they are able to do so (at LEAST 1 and 2 extrapolated quite a bit)

I know there is going to be deathclaws... there will always be deathclaws even when it makes no sense for there to be... because they are so creatively bankrupt... but still.

Then again 1 and 2 were quite a bit more interesting. In that there was a whole ecosystem in place that you could see and fight against. While Fallout 3 and New Vegas take place in some sort of lifeless void.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:37:35 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:57 am »

I know I am probably unique in saying this... but I hope there are no deathclaws in Fallout 4.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas did nothing but make me like them less and less since they are essentially moving walls that kill you if they touch you... something completely boring to fight and completely stupid if they manage to win against you because they flat out break the rules of the game without any logical explanation for how they are able to do so (at LEAST 1 and 2 extrapolated quite a bit)

I know there is going to be deathclaws... there will always be deathclaws even when it makes no sense for there to be... because they are so creatively bankrupt... but still.

Then again 1 and 2 were quite a bit more interesting. In that there was a whole ecosystem in place that you could see and fight against. While Fallout 3 and New Vegas take place in some sort of lifeless void.
*Watches gameplay trailer of player getting stabbed by a Deathclaw*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 23, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

"Fallout 1... Whole ecosystem..."

"Radscorpions!"
"A particularly sneaky radscorpion seems to be trying to ambush you."
"Out of nowhere, a radscorpion suddenly strikes!"
"You have stumbled upon a family of Mole Rats."
"You find several rats scavenging about here."
"You see a lone radscorpion, skittering about."
"Tremendous molerats are nosing about here."
"You see several rats running towards you."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:02 am »

Don't forget about the Lizards Flying Dice and the inflatable balloon enemies

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 23, 2015, 11:21:53 am »

And let's not forget the fact that Deathclaws were as much a wall of death in FO1 and FO2 as they are in 3 and NV.

Seriously, in FO1 try to do the quest for the gun runners at a low to mid level and have fun running backwards while feebly attempting to shoot at your impending doom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:33 am »

And let's not forget the fact that Deathclaws were as much a wall of death in FO1 and FO2 as they are in 3 and NV.

Seriously, in FO1 try to do the quest for the gun runners at a low to mid level and have fun running backwards while feebly attempting to shoot at your impending doom.

Yeah but Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't learn how to make it fun.

It isn't a coincidence that the flat out WORST DLC for New Vegas included a cave that was full of deathclaws.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:57 am »

They were massive death machines in pretty much every fallout game. If anything the FO3/NV versions are less OP now since you can take advantage of terrain, lay explosives on their path, use a shotgun with the "and stay back!" perk, cripple their legs and kite them around, etc.

But ye, all they do is charge you and try to claw you, in pretty much any situation, but thats what pretty much any non ranged enemy in a bethesda game does, anyway.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 23, 2015, 11:35:42 am »

Yeah but Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't learn how to make it fun.
Neither Fallout 1 nor Fallout 2 made the encounters with them "fun" in any possible interpretation of the word. Deathclaw encounters were an automatic "nope, nope, nope" moment until the mid to late game. Unless you like ineffectually plinking away at massive horned demons of rapemurder while your companions are being ruthlessly gutted in front of your very eyes.

The only fun thing done with deathclaws does not come in combat, but in story. Specifically FO2, with the vault (Vault 13, of all things) full of intelligent, peaceful deathclaws. And yet FO2 still had your vanilla, "horned demons of rapemurder" variant of deathclaws present and they were still complete and total bastards to fight until mid to late game.

edit:
New one of those animated thingamajiggers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paYU1neP3xM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:48:19 am by Krevsin »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:39 pm »

Death Claws are a nice challenge, in New Vegas (and to some extend Fallout 1) you're told in advance which areas are rife with them. It's more of an achievement when you take them down. (Get good at attacking and aim for the eyes, stimpack constantly). And if you don't like fighting them, you can get the friendly animal perks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 23, 2015, 12:18:23 pm »

New one of those animated thingamajiggers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paYU1neP3xM
Looks like having a strong constitution is needed for eating... exotic meat. I wonder if that will actually serve any practical purpose other than an easy way to lower karma.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 462