Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 792828 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Bad Bugs and Gutbusting Glitches
« Reply #3225 on: November 12, 2015, 06:56:53 pm »

make first  "try the game", maybe?
also, im sure youll enjoy everything, exept proably the base building part.
exept of course you want a game thats like fallout 1 and two, then wastelands 2 will be a much better choice for you.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: November 12, 2015, 07:08:50 pm »

so, since someone spoilerd me how to steal power armors i now have 4 power armor frames (two of with wont even say steal but enter when i highlight them \o/)
i also know of more power armor frames, and anyway, as i can steal them, there are proably MANY power  armor frames.

now my question is: is there any reason to have more then one power armor frame? i dont think i can give it to npc (and anyway, i dont take companions and if i would i would only need two...)

Pretty sure you can tell NPCs to interact with them through the dialogue interface, and put them on like that. Or maybe just putting it in their inventory and having them equip it as you would regular armor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: November 12, 2015, 07:12:57 pm »

exept of course you want a game thats like fallout 1 and two, then wastelands 2 will be a much better choice for you.

I dunno, Wasteland 2 may look like classic Fallout games but I don't think they're at the same level. There's a thin veneer of cool shit in Wasteland 2 that doesn't extend to the whole game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: November 12, 2015, 07:19:40 pm »

so, since someone spoilerd me how to steal power armors i now have 4 power armor frames (two of with wont even say steal but enter when i highlight them \o/)
i also know of more power armor frames, and anyway, as i can steal them, there are proably MANY power  armor frames.

now my question is: is there any reason to have more then one power armor frame? i dont think i can give it to npc (and anyway, i dont take companions and if i would i would only need two...)

Pretty sure you can tell NPCs to interact with them through the dialogue interface, and put them on like that. Or maybe just putting it in their inventory and having them equip it as you would regular armor.
hm, but you cant pick up the frames. they will stay where you leave them and you can only enter them, or put in modules.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Attention To Detail
« Reply #3229 on: November 12, 2015, 07:29:22 pm »

While customization is awesome, the ammount of weapons in game is pretty lazy. Same with nonpower armour.  :(
How far are you into the game? I'd guesstimate that there's approximate parity with the number of guns in NV or FO3, but yeah, early on you're just going to encounter a bajillion pipe guns and a few short-and-useless hunting rifles and double barreled shotguns. The customization also means that every 'base' gun has at least two, usually four to six effective guns inside it.

Here's a list of all of the 'base' weapons I've encountered thus far (I'm at level 25):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind, those are just the base weapons which I have physically encountered and remember. Each of them has at least 2-4 builds (in terms of base stats and damage effects, &c.) meshed with 1-3 naming conventions/classes.

One thing I'm surprised they did not add, with all the crafting currently in there, is an equivalent to New Vegas' loading bench. The ability to break down ammo and reform it as other types would be a godsend, as ammo is otherwise expensive to buy in large amounts.

Yeah, I'm surprised they left that out as well. That said, there's always the old standby of carrying four guns or so. Usually by the time you start running low for one, the others all have a few hundred/thousand rounds stockpiled. .308, .45. and .38 are all very, very common, so one each of those is usually a good idea.

Also: gun sounds are pitiful in this one. They sound like toys.
Same question as the first one: how far are you in? At 6h it's probably not much--most of what you're encountering is still almost exclusively shit-tier pipe guns firing .38 pistol rounds, with a few weak short-barreled hunting "rifles". Right now I've got a fully kitted set with a .308 sniper, .45 DMR, combat shotgun, and 10mm pistol. The shotgun's the only one that doesn't sound quite as meaty as I'd like it.

Also, if we're talking about sounding like toys, the new sounds for laser weapons make up for a lot of sins.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: November 12, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »

Turns out my old laptop runs F4 fairly well on the lowest settings. That's pretty nice.
Love, scriver~

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: November 12, 2015, 07:40:01 pm »

So far love the game, sure the skill removal was a bit of a let down but the perk system is working for me... somewhat.... those level requirement... anyway. I realised that each npc has a personal gun and with their personal gun come unlimited ammo fine by me. I find a very nice institute rifle with rate of fire bonus a legendary rifle i say yay nice! NOPE!!!! Its a nice gun alright, but it shoot so fast and used up ammo sooooo fast its impossible to play with it without burning half your ammo in the first NPC you will get to use it.... I tought hey npc seem to have unlimited ammo for their gun maybe if.... i give it to him with a couple cell.... he did shoot it once and burned all cell i gave him and he switched back to his own gun.... Oh well....

Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: November 12, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

The shotgun's the only one that doesn't sound quite as meaty as I'd like it.

Also, if we're talking about sounding like toys, the new sounds for laser weapons make up for a lot of sins.

Yes and yes. My laser shotgun and sniper are really cool, especially since I stopped using them for a while (favoring legendary hunting rifle and a combat shotgun) and now I got hundreds of cells to use.

As my praise for the game goes on, I also really like the way reading magazines, comics and books works now - granting you perks, or higher perk rank when you find more.
It makes exploring even more rewarding, even if the bonuses aren't that big. But as you play more, that "picking locks is now permanently easier" really saves you some time, and makes gameplay much more dynamic. It feels like your character is learning and getting better as he goes - which is awesome, given that he wasn't born in the wasteland.
It might look and feel very silly for those who REALLY wanted a Fallout 3 2015 edition, though.

PS: Initially, I thought this WAS Fallout 3 2015. Doesn't take long until you notice it's not. But I like it anyways.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: November 12, 2015, 07:52:20 pm »

One thing I'm surprised they did not add, with all the crafting currently in there, is an equivalent to New Vegas' loading bench. The ability to break down ammo and reform it as other types would be a godsend, as ammo is otherwise expensive to buy in large amounts.

Yeah, I'm surprised they left that out as well. That said, there's always the old standby of carrying four guns or so. Usually by the time you start running low for one, the others all have a few hundred/thousand rounds stockpiled. .308, .45. and .38 are all very, very common, so one each of those is usually a good idea.

Yeah, even with a low strength character I have 5 different guns that I regularly carry, being level 20 and with a Gun Nut of 2 and Science of 2, and keeping in mind that I dislike automatic weaponry (as less damage for more boolet seems wasteful):

Fully modded 10mm semi auto pistol with suppressor (from the one you get to start!)
Partially modded bolt action Sniper Rifle (using .308 ammo, may mod it to a .50 cal when I get the chance)
Partially modded semi auto Combat Rifle (using .45 ammo)
Plot Point Guy's Revolver, which can't be modded much (using .44 ammo)
Partially modded Laser Sniper Rifle (using fusion cells, as a sort of last resort weapon)

It's not very ideal, as I would need to split between two different perks to get full benefit of damage/other nice things for all of my weapons, but I tend to rely on the suppressed 10mm for most situations. I even used a legendary pipe pistol for a while, if only to use some of the thousands of .32 rounds I had amassed by that point. I might look into getting an armor piercing weapon, but the drastically lowered damage doesn't seem worth it.

Having a grenade hotkey and a sprint hotkey are also great boons. I rarely used grenades in 3 or New Vegas, because it was annoying to have to switch to a completely different weapon, then switch back. But with combat feeling a lot more fluid, it's good to have a room clearing molotov or frag grenade on hand from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:55:40 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: November 12, 2015, 07:58:59 pm »

Also: gun sounds are pitiful in this one. They sound like toys.
Same question as the first one: how far are you in? At 6h it's probably not much--most of what you're encountering is still almost exclusively shit-tier pipe guns firing .38 pistol rounds, with a few weak short-barreled hunting "rifles". Right now I've got a fully kitted set with a .308 sniper, .45 DMR, combat shotgun, and 10mm pistol. The shotgun's the only one that doesn't sound quite as meaty as I'd like it.

17h as it stands. I haven't played with the laser weapons much, but the ballistics all seem too quiet to me. I've played with sawn-offs, .45 SMGs, .308 rifles, and others, and my current primary weapon is a four-crank laser musket.

I'm convinced that this is caused by playing too much Red Orchestra 2 before playing F4. I'm used to pulling the trigger drowning out literally every other sound in the game, so my expectation is somewhat skewed. :P

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: November 12, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »

anyway, about ammo: if a ressource is to plenty, there is no reason to have it in game in the first place. i think its always hard to hit the sweet spot because sparese enough to make the player think and so sparse that it doesnt make sense to use the guns.
i think fo4 is hitting that spot quite well, though i think ammo could be even rarer. its the post apocalypse after all, and since the factories broke down 200 years ago, and it appears as if ammo was used a lot since.

edit: gna, wrote something all sarcastic about realistic laser sounds cause im to stupid to read other posters posts right. deleted it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:27:46 pm by motorbitch »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Massachusetts Driving Habits
« Reply #3236 on: November 12, 2015, 08:40:29 pm »

So, what are the worst bugs you guys encountered so far?
Put the fusion cell in the power armor, got in it, ran to grab the minigun, and as soon as I grabbed it I shot up into the air super high with incredible velocity flying 3/4 of the way to diamond city before falling into about 6 bandits. I killed them all and felt like a badass ODST trooper even though this is fallout and I was so far from where I was supposed to be it wasn't even funny.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: November 12, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »

i think fo4 is hitting that spot quite well, though i think ammo could be even rarer. its the post apocalypse after all, and since the factories broke down 200 years ago, and it appears as if ammo was used a lot since.

Yet in sufficiently stable areas (see: New Vegas) the art of making ammo is available. There are notes regarding factories able to pump out ammunition, and even brand new guns (like the Gun Runners), and a part of a fairly minor sidequest has you stealing schematics for some of this information from them. So it's not too far off the mark that the character could figure out how to use this rediscovered technology themselves once sufficiently skilled. I mean, you can turn a laser pistol into a laser rifle with a full stock and everything, as well as create syringe-based ammunition that implants bloatfly larvae into the target, so basic bullets shouldn't be too hard.

In 4, after upgrading one of my settlement's weapon traders to the best one, they had 200+ of various types of ammunition, so scarcity doesn't appear to be an issue, just price. I just wish they would've taken a bit more after New Vegas' improvements with regards to crafting. I like the modification system, but being able to create a brand new base gun with sufficient skill and resources should also be an option, rather than simply scavenging whatever you can off dead people.

To that end, a reloading bench mod I make may include a new, general crafting bench for weapons as well. You would have to buy schematics for relatively high prices, but it would guarantee your ability to get a certain type of weapon. I didn't know a Combat Rifle existed until recently, as I had only seen a single Assault Rifle up to that point, and I rarely used it due to the scarcity of 5.56 ammo, even when specifically searching for it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: November 12, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »

well, with realy high perks you can circumvent many things. and its quite an investment that requires some sacrifices to build the highest lvl shops.
i agree that it was fitting to make ammo if you can make stuff like high tech modifications for a power armor, yet i dont think it would increase game fun to convert or even build ammo.
im not very far into the game anyway, lvl 17, not even made it to diamond city (though i could go there, but they keep me to buisy with so many side quests)
i have found a few combat rifles however. they use .45 ammo, and require gun nut2 (lvl259

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: November 12, 2015, 09:14:57 pm »

I grabbed two suits of power armor, equipped Piper with one, took two miniguns and went into the sewers. It was pretty frigging awesome. You feel like a terminator exploring a space hulk.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 462