Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 807366 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Our Writer Only Says One Sentence, But That's Okay, ...
« Reply #3720 on: November 18, 2015, 08:06:16 pm »

I feel like the Brotherhood is Fallout's answer to Space Marines.

Suffer not the Super Mutant to live!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:26 pm »

Sure, they only have different origins, goals, equipment and lore, but aside from that, they're very similar. :P

But yeah, they're the big dudes with fancy toys above the filthy Imperial Guard NCR troopers etc. Much like the space marines, they also would lose a conflict against the NCR (though the BS actually did). They do have similarities in their general role in the lore.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3722 on: November 18, 2015, 08:18:23 pm »

I have taken to not wearing a helmet while in my power armor. Makes me feel more like a spes marine

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:28 pm »

I have taken to not wearing a helmet while in my power armor. Makes me feel more like a spes marine
We need a mod to make the pauldrons bigger and the helmet smaller.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:07 pm »

the pauldrons are already fuckhueg compared to the previous games though

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 18, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »

About the music in the game, today I got home and..

Spoiler: Midweek Dwarven Style (click to show/hide)

However, that playlist has songs I didn't hear, and some songs I like are missing (like Rocket 69), so I mix with other ones. Guess it'll be easier if I make one myself.
What's funny is that I have absolutely no one in my life that hear this sort of music.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:27 pm »

Sure, they only have different origins, goals, equipment and lore, but aside from that, they're very similar. :P
I see them as space marines but...  Nicer.  Promoting original science instead of *exclusively* preserving ancient knowledge.  And sharing that knowledge with wastelanders when reasonable.

Of course it helps that I played Fallout 2 before I knew anything about 40K, so my experience was pretty much "Hey, these guys are like the Brotherhood!  That's cool - Oh WOW they're luddite dicks."  "Catchy slogans though."

But yeah, they're the big dudes with fancy toys above the filthy Imperial Guard NCR troopers etc. Much like the space marines, they also would lose a conflict against the NCR (though the BS actually did). They do have similarities in their general role in the lore.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK Aw, it's true.
I still hate that they fought the NCR, but it does make some sense...
THE NCR WAS GREEDY! :P

Kidding aside, I really need to play through Fallout 1 sometime so I can figure out why the fuck everyone considers the Brotherhood to be xenophobic dicks.  I've just yet to see it.  NV doesn't count because they're literally being exterminated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »

the pauldrons are already fuckhueg compared to the previous games though
Not tall enough to be spehss mahreens, though. Look, we already got the gunners with IG-looking amours and uniforms, and the super mutants are a decent stand-in for Orks. I just want an excuse to also mod in gothic chants so I can purge the mutant in the name of the Emperor Maxson.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:43:59 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: November 18, 2015, 08:34:59 pm »

Kidding aside, I really need to play through Fallout 1 sometime so I can figure out why the fuck everyone considers the Brotherhood to be xenophobic dicks.  I've just yet to see it.  NV doesn't count because they're literally being exterminated.

I stopped right at this point on the game though, but to me it's super weird.
Even though I doubt BoS has any clue of what they are doing regarding sentient artificial life, therefore prioritizing genocide as to simplify and prevent loss of human life, this felt non-sensical from a tactical, strategical and moral stand point.
Unless there's more to be revealed about Railroad..which I bet there is.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:29 pm »

Pretty sure the unspoilered bit is a bit spoilery, mate.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: November 18, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »

Yeah, this entire game, like Fallout 3 before it, is a full on idiot plot.
It revolves around every single participant being a literal retard who can't even consider sitting down and talking things out with others to the point that anyone with a dissenting opinion is slaughtered on the spot.

So yes it basically is WH40K.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:04 pm »

Really? Unspoilered bit is on the trailer.

Btw, there's something in the trailer which is EXTREMELY spoilery.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:52 pm »

Pretty sure the unspoilered bit is a bit spoilery, mate.
I thought that part had been revealed a few times in the thread already, but eh.  I'm bad at gauging spoilers.

I didn't open the spoiler tags yet either, since I'm definitely not far enough in.  But frankly, as much as I'm enjoying this game, it can't really convince me that the Brotherhood was always evil.  I'd need evidence from 1 or 2.

I'm ready for the Brotherhood to finally be monstrous in FO4...  I think it'd make a nice change.  But it'd just be a rogue offshoot, like the Outcasts in FO3.  Or... arguably the result of a gradual corruption.  That'd be understandable and interesting too, if a bit painful.  Just like the NCR-BoS war.

But like, some guy in the Fallout story subreddit was arguing that the BoS slaughtered civilians right after leaving Mariposa... Based on an account which praised Maxsom to an uncomfortable extent and mentioned raiders in the wastes.  Arguing that the raiders were probably just civilians.  ...So yeah, that's a strawman, but it seems like this fan hate comes from an in-game source I just haven't found.  And I want to know where to look.

Reminds me of how I loved Durandal in Marathon 2, literally cried for him at one point, but eventually I played Marathon 1.  He did some terrible things before he started helping humanity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:51 pm »

I think I found what might be the weapon I'll use for a very long time... a hunting rifle with infinite ammo capacity. Not infinite ammo, mind you, but basically never have to reload, ever.

I should mention it's one of those weapon drops from legendaries, rather than an unique weapon.
tho it appears to me that most, if not all, unique weapons have just one of the specials the legendary drops have too, plus a fancy name.
damn, i so want one of them to drop a two shot assault rifle already XD
but then, it proably would break the game. i do have a two shot combat rifle, and thats already borderline gamebreaking.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: November 18, 2015, 09:03:05 pm »

No, seriously, you will find no reasonable justification for the BoS hate in Fallout 1.

The Brotherhood right off the bat offers to send you off on a job to the glow (needs some speech skill tho'), which no member of the BoS has returned from, and when you return, they immediately make you a member.  If you wander around talking to people in the bunker (after you join, because otherwise you aren't getting in) there are some really interesting characters who you can interact with, and one of them will even set you up with power armor (which you need adequate skills to re-assemble.)

I suppose if you just really hate trying to do difficult things then being sent to the Glow would seem like they're just trying to get you killed.  And if you have to systematically raid every single location for everything you can then their unwillingness to let you wander freely inside the bunker might bother you.  But other than that I am completely incapable of grasping the hate.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 462