Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 800365 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4845 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »

Bethesda throws in power armor so of course they have to ramp up the other extremes. It may or may not be the best way to balance but it is A way.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: December 15, 2015, 01:52:45 pm »

Given you can shoot grenades and molotovs in mid-air, in VATS, can't you do the same with mini nukes and potentially missiles too?

It'd be amusing.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: December 15, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

Missiles feel somewhat underwhelming in power.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: December 15, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »

They are underwhelming in power.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: December 15, 2015, 02:17:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really sure why mininukes are more common than missile launchers, that seems very much like a 'fuck you' feature.  Even high end PA doesn't really help with survival when some random unnamed gunner has a Fatman.  That said, it still doesn't really add to the challenge, either they hit you and you die or they don't and they die.
Mininukes are easy to avoid if you can get the high ground. I once cheesed a raider called Boomer by standing on a rock that was way above him and he just kept lobbing nukes right over my head.

Of course, that isn't always an option. The unique Gunner in Quincy that stands in the church steeple and carries a fat man AND a missile launcher comes to mind.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:20:30 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: December 15, 2015, 02:50:55 pm »

They are underwhelming in power.

Not that much if you invest in the explosives perk, which allows missiles to deal up to 300-ish damage.

But granted, I measure all damage through the potential of sneak criticals. 300 is a lot for area damage when multiplied by 3 or 3.5 from Ninja's upper levels.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: December 15, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »

I am not sure explosives benefit from sneak boost

The lack of power is mostly caused by the fact that a 10mm Pistol can outdamage a missile launcher... and a LOT of enemies have explosive resistance (which is better than armor)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »

I am not sure explosives benefit from sneak boost

The lack of power is mostly caused by the fact that a 10mm Pistol can outdamage a missile launcher... and a LOT of enemies have explosive resistance (which is better than armor)

I'm fairly sure explosives do benefit from sneak criticals. I think even grenades.

As for resistance, it's weird. I distinctly remember VATS projecting a very minor impact when aiming a missile launcher at a beefy enemy (Super Mutant), yet the actual damage was far more reasonable when the actual warhead struck.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: December 15, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »

Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: December 15, 2015, 03:35:43 pm »

Eh he he he

Too bad the Fatman is useless :P because the mininuke is SO rare... you will just go straight to the SUPER Fatman (and maybe give it the MIRV upgrade too)

Add that the Super Fatman DOUBLES the mininukes :P it means you fire 16 mininukes in one shot at the price of 1 ammo.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:56 pm »

I've had sneak criticals with the rocket launcher before.
And molotovs, thinking about it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: December 15, 2015, 03:56:58 pm »

I'd love if they didn't notice they were on fire...
But ugh, mininuke enemies.  They ought to shout "ONE IN THE PIPE" or something, and take more time to aim :P
I've never managed to even target one in VATs yet.  I've tried to target grenades in mid-air but it didn't seem to work, but I accidentally targeted one that had landed (a live grenade, not a mine) so maybe I was unlucky before.

Is anyone able to use grenades in VATS at present?  Apparently it was possible if you cooked the grenade before launching VATS, but most people are saying that has been disabled now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: December 15, 2015, 04:17:26 pm »

Your power armor fu is weak, obviously.

My PA fu is stronger than the raging albino deathclaw, however in the middle of multi-opponent combat when the only indicator is 'wheee-BOOM', it is surprisingly easy to be killed while using legendary X-01 VI everything.  If I'm at full health when I get hit (or am near the impact point) it's more like every limb crippled and my health nearly depleted tho'.  (My build decisions regarding endurance could be called into question tho', hey I need Cha and Int more, okay?)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: December 15, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »

Riddle me this. If the Fallout universe is perpetually stuck with the fifties mentality and never really computerized anything, why do no records exist? Surviving books are valuable, some kind of tapes existed at least in F3, but records were huge for the time and would be highly valuable to anyone inclined to preserving pre-war anything or just as entertainment. Radio's always a big thing in the Fallout titles, what's the music stored on?

Magnetic Film...

And Black Vinyl

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »

Riddle me this. If the Fallout universe is perpetually stuck with the fifties mentality and never really computerized anything, why do no records exist? Surviving books are valuable, some kind of tapes existed at least in F3, but records were huge for the time and would be highly valuable to anyone inclined to preserving pre-war anything or just as entertainment. Radio's always a big thing in the Fallout titles, what's the music stored on?
Holotapes are everywhere
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 462