Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 799871 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4860 on: December 15, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »

Riddle me this. If the Fallout universe is perpetually stuck with the fifties mentality and never really computerized anything, why do no records exist? Surviving books are valuable, some kind of tapes existed at least in F3, but records were huge for the time and would be highly valuable to anyone inclined to preserving pre-war anything or just as entertainment. Radio's always a big thing in the Fallout titles, what's the music stored on?
Pre-war ghouls.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: December 15, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »

I will say that the noise cancelling technology in Fallout... is AMAZING! leagues better then we have now.

Note: Yes I am aware it is actually laziness... I prefer to pretend they mastered noise cancelation even to the point of negating huge loud noises.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:52 pm »

There's a couple mods that increase the radius of missile and mininuke explosions and up their damage if you want it.

Bethesda throws in power armor so of course they have to ramp up the other extremes. It may or may not be the best way to balance but it is A way.
So there wasn't power armor in previous Fallout games? And it didn't quickly become the de-facto "best" armor that every character wore unless you were willing to gimp yourself? At least here it's an option.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: December 15, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »

There's a couple mods that increase the radius of missile and mininuke explosions and up their damage if you want it.

Bethesda throws in power armor so of course they have to ramp up the other extremes. It may or may not be the best way to balance but it is A way.
So there wasn't power armor in previous Fallout games? And it didn't quickly become the de-facto "best" armor that every character wore unless you were willing to gimp yourself? At least here it's an option.

Not really, many people often go without the power armor. (Only in fallout 1 and 2 was it the BEST armor due to the way weapons worked back then) and typically it takes a long time to reach it as well, in 1 you needed to complete some very lategame quests in a very near suicidal area to get the BoS to cough up training for it, 2 was easier if you wanted to glitch skip the game but otherwise was in a very lategame area, 3 also required some mid to lategame training and new vegas the same as well.

The problem with the power armor in 4 is that it's literally in the very early game, you find it in the first area after Sanctuary, in previous games you typically pickup what amounts to a better gun in the second area, here you get a minigun and a full on tank suit of power armor without training or really needing to earn it.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: December 15, 2015, 06:04:36 pm »

Plus in New Vegas there were enough better alternatives that I never really found myself using power armour, along a ton of different high level gear that complemented different builds much better than power armour.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: December 15, 2015, 06:12:08 pm »

Early power armor isn't that good though, and it's not like you don't use most of your ammo on the bandits and deathclaw.

Beth made PA more like a wearable tank, which lets it function early in the game without necessarily being OP.
you just get far too many fusion cores and they last far too long, so you can just use it all the time instead of when you're expecting heavy resistance.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: December 15, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »

They should make fast travel drain the cores, then.  I went through three cells just going from Sanctuary to the edge of the Glowing Sea.  I didn't mind using like 6 more once I was in the Sea, particularly due to combat, but the hoarder in me bristles at burning such a resource just by walking.
(Having to use radaway in the sea didn't bother me since it's an area designed to be... inhospitable.  Really enjoyed that.  Rad-X didn't help as much I expected though)

Between that and the supply lines only moving junk, they apparently expect everyone to just fast travel everywhere after the first few hours...  Which I'm doing a lot more often now, but I prefer walking when I can.

I'd be happiest if power armor didn't cost much to travel in, but drained quicker in combat instead.  What I *really* want is a coach system like in Skyrim (I loved the mod which expanded the coach network.  I used it and Frostfall and practically never fast-traveled otherwise).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:24:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:51 pm »

Wait fast travel doesn't actually drain fusion cores? I've been avoiding using my power armor because I thought it did!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: December 15, 2015, 06:36:11 pm »

Last time I played I used a brand new core just long enough to fast travel then pack the suit away. Used 1 point of core.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: December 15, 2015, 06:38:02 pm »

I wasn't sure, so I just hopped in and tested.  Basically across the map (Somerville Place to Fort Strong) made no noticeable impact on the core indicator.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: December 15, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »

Plus in New Vegas there were enough better alternatives that I never really found myself using power armour, along a ton of different high level gear that complemented different builds much better than power armour.
Riot Armor wins! :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: December 15, 2015, 07:40:16 pm »

Just in general, I find the fast travel in the newer Bethesda games annoying.

I much prefered the fast travel in Morrowind. Want to go somewhere? Take the bloody bus, you peasant. Or fly there if you're a demigod.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: December 15, 2015, 07:41:45 pm »

Exactly, that's why I liked the coaches in Skyrim!  Pay a token fee, suffer a bit of inconvenience, but it felt worth it.  Particularly with the mod expanding destinations.
She/they

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:01 pm »

Usually, one of the first mods I DL is one that disables the default fast travel and replaces it with a series of bus stops. With the settlement building, you actually gain a reason to build more settlements than Sanctuary for an actual reason besides "The Quest Told Me So" or "Because I Feel Like It".

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: December 15, 2015, 09:29:51 pm »

I have a sort of house rule for fast travel: I restrict myself to skipping between settlements in supply only.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 462