Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 800340 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4950 on: December 20, 2015, 02:07:17 am »

Hilarious bug time again.

I'm traveling with Preston, and sometimes people give him ammo and shit when he talks to them.
Except EVERY TIME THIS HAPPENS, he strips naked.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: December 20, 2015, 02:55:38 am »

I'm traveling with Preston, and sometimes people give him ammo and shit when he talks to them.

Does his personal quest involve delving into his past as an exotic dancer?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: December 20, 2015, 04:12:51 am »

It isn't EXACTLY a bug... It is the intended behavior :P

dv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:53 am »

IIRC all the missions which lock you out of other factions explicitly tell you so in a popup.
I think it only tells you in one specific case, but there are other ways to make enemies or get locked out of faction quests.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: December 20, 2015, 08:36:54 am »

It's better than the time that I had Nick bug - he got stuck lying down and so he couldn't walk. The silly part was that he would still turn towards me and teleport when I wasn't looking.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: December 20, 2015, 10:22:53 am »

It's better than the time that I had Nick bug - he got stuck lying down and so he couldn't walk. The silly part was that he would still turn towards me and teleport when I wasn't looking.

I had that happen during his quest, so he was having a conversation with the dude through a wall.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: December 20, 2015, 11:57:15 am »

Early power armor isn't that good though, and it's not like you don't use most of your ammo on the bandits and deathclaw.

Part of the problem with fo4 is the lack of weapon condition. If they gave you a nearly broken minigun that would have been one thing, but instead its honestly trivial to keep enough ammo to keep using it. At the same time, the fo4 minigun is pretty lackluster as a result.

Weapon condition is also a great way to make picking up every weapon in the wastes worthwhile, and to act as a value sink. fo4 killed weapon condition but didnt really fix the problems that weapon condition was originally implemented to solve.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:59 pm »

No, weapon condition is a stupid arbitrary mechanic that adds nothing to gameplay whatsoever.  It isn't as if the minigun is even useful through the vast majority of the game due to it's ridiculously low damage.  Hell, until I scored one with the explosive prefix around level seventy I couldn't find a reason to use it at all.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: December 20, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »

"Make picking up every weapon in the wastes worthwhile..."

You mean make picking up one goddamn weapon out of every thirty or so because of overly restrictive repair mechanics. Weapon and armor condition in RPGs exist solely as a shitty mechanic to drain player resources because the developers couldn't figure out how to limit them except by making everything a useless poorly maintained lump of scrap that breaks after an hour of regular use.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »

Weapon condition basically compounded me to pick up every single piece of garbage gun I could find, so that I could repair them and sell them for mad profits.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: December 20, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »

Eh, I liked weapon degradation.  More than this power armor damage system, for sure.  There seems to be *no* discount for repairing a relatively healthy part, which is lame.  And even the T61 is a lot more fragile than I would expect.  I'm only power armor now because I'm rich as balls, both in caps for fusion cores and in scrap.  (Plus I'm fast travelling a lot finally, so magically not using fusion cores.  Anyway!)

Weapon degradation uses up loot in the field (FO3).  Getting loot is great, having to carry it places to sell sucks.  This is kinda like sending companions off to sell loot, except more appropriate for a wasteland setting.

Then in NV it's the only late-game money sink.  So you've got the hyperbreeder Alpha, game over, you never have to switch weapons again?  This gives a moderate cost to its use, so there's some actual choice still...  and a reason to to keep looting/stealing caps, or crafting weapon repair kits.  Kinda like the fusion cores and power armor damage, except better in my opinion.

The best part was that there were multiple options to deal with it.  Carry backup weapons, prioritize Repair skill, craft weapon repair kits, and/or make enough caps to pay the exorbitant repair fees.

When it comes to weapons, FO4 just has scarcity of ammo.  Except it's... not scarce, at all, and it's pretty cheap.  I don't even have the ammo scrounger perk.  Pretty much a step backward in terms of interesting choice.

Actually, yeah, this new perk system was fun at first but it's exactly the dumbing-down everyone was afraid of.  I already ranted about how most of them don't matter.  They barely change the gameplay at all, and when they do (Intimidation perks, Lifegiver 3) they're still incredibly disappointing or nigh-broken (No XP, no loot, murder is okay but stealing is not).  Just level up your weapon class perk (restricting choice!) and learn how to pick locks and hack (when the level cap LETS you).  Get the crafting ones if you want...  Or just buy the mods from shops.  It's not like there's anything else to spend late-game caps on!

The only good thing they did SPECIAL-wise was remove the arbitrary stat caps at 10, so that drugs don't mysteriously stop working if you're too good at a thing.  Though managing clothing is hilariously terrible (mostly because you can't mark items without assigning them a hotkey.  Why...  would I assign a hotkey... to CLOTHING!?  I just want to keep track of it to switch back into it!)

Liking the story though, finally got to the Institute.  Wow.

Weapon condition basically compounded me to pick up every single piece of garbage gun I could find, so that I could repair them and sell them for mad profits.
Yeah this is all I meant to say, whoops.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:02 pm »

Weapon condition is a mind-numbingly stupid immersion-breaker that should be removed from everything that has ever used it at all period.

Here, this gun has survived two hundred years of weathering and use, but if you use it for more than ten minutes it will need to be totally rebuilt.

Hey enjoy this pristine laser rifle that you found in a sealed bunker, if you carefully mange your use, it might survive a single extended battle.

Yo, have this cherry PA, it serves our brothers in the field perfectly, but after 2-3 fights with SM you'll need to scrap fifteen of them to get it back in working order.

I'm not entirely happy with the design decisions made in F4, and I hate the writing, but Bethesda sure as hell made the right call in removing weapon condition.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4962 on: December 20, 2015, 01:19:24 pm »

I agree it was too severe, but I personally enjoyed the struggle of having to find parts and equipment on my enemies to patch up my meager supplies. It made the world into a zero-sum game of gradual decay... perfect for a post apocalypse.

What would have helped it is if scrap items could be used to fix stuff too- things like using conductor blocks to repair energy weapons or scrap metal to patch up an assault rifle.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: December 20, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

It made the world into a zero-sum game of gradual decay... perfect for a post apocalypse.

This does not, has never had, and should not ever have anything to do with Fallout.  Fallout is not a survival series of games.  It is a series of post apocalyptic adventures where you, the ____ hero step forth from obscurity and save the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: December 20, 2015, 01:27:08 pm »

Which is completely irrelevant to the be-or-not-be of item degradation.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 462