Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 798535 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5190 on: January 05, 2016, 04:38:14 pm »

Minor nitpick: where the hell do the Bobrov brothers come from?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: January 05, 2016, 04:39:00 pm »

same place cait came from: a long line of post-war foreigners
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: January 05, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »

Or, just as likely, a long line of slightly mentally unhinged people who found tapes of old shows and copied the fake accents.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: January 05, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »

Also the Shen girl and people like Moriarty from F3. People in the post-apocalyptic future gets around a lot, it seems. Maybe they think accents are genetic.

Theory: They're actually robots and their speech patterns is programmed like that by the disgruntled head of the Institute linguist department.
Love, scriver~

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:08 pm »

The Institute only operates in the Commonwealth (except for escaped synths like Harkness and the other guy), so. :P
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: January 05, 2016, 05:58:54 pm »

Also the Shen girl and people like Moriarty from F3. People in the post-apocalyptic future gets around a lot, it seems. Maybe they think accents are genetic.

Theory: They're actually robots and their speech patterns is programmed like that by the disgruntled head of the Institute linguist department.
Well, at least one robot was programmed with a foreign accent...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: January 05, 2016, 06:10:42 pm »

Goodness I only played a little of Wasteland 2 to find out everything that is sort of wrong with Fallout 4...

It has been 200 years... Why does it feel like this takes place 20 years after the fact?

Wasteland? They are establishing trade routs, deals between colonies, trying to develop new survival techniques...

Fallout 4? Dirt farming and scavenging.

I am not bringing this attention to poop on Fallout 4, only to say that they need to step up their world building. The setting is no longer a scavenging scenario... people are settling so work on that. Make Fallout 5 or Fallout 4 New Expansion for full price alive.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:13:30 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:07 pm »

Yes, that is one of the well established inconsistencies of Bethesda's Fallout games.  It's somewhat irritating, but if you can filter it out the games are still very playable.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: January 05, 2016, 06:46:32 pm »

In my mind I handwave it as the east coast got so fucked by the nukes that there was next to noone left there, and only over time people filtered back into the eastern seaboard from surrounding areas, which is why the west coast is so much more developed. I know that's not a good explanation, but it's better than the lack of one we get from Bethesda.

EDIT: Plus the more hostile environment of the east coast. Because apparently super mutants and zombies feral ghouls are everywhere, which might dissuade people from resettling the area. Not to call the Yukon a hostile environment, but it had more people during the gold rush than it does now, and it's taken over a hundred years for the population to get up that high again after the population dropped to the low thousands following the gold rush. So it makes sense to me if I squint my eyes and look at it a little funny. But that's just my headcanon. Thinking on that makes me wonder about how Whitehorse/Yellowknife are doing in 2287. There's a lot of isolated sizable communities in BC and Alaska as well that wouldn't have gotten hit by nukes. Plus Hawaii I guess. And I'm sure Newfoundland/Labrador weren't prime targets. And that's just considering the US and Canada. The rest of the world wouldn't have been hit as hard, and I'm sure there's a lot of big communities left around. But that kind of stuff is never touched on in these games or the Fallout Bible IIRC, which is a shame. It'd be a fun thing if 2287 America was raided or threatened by groups from Africa/South America/Northern America/the Pacific Islands like that one book series with the Haida raiders and the British raiders in Post apocalyptic USA.

And here I am rambling, I'm putting way too much thought into this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:58:28 pm by Glloyd »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:24 pm »

Someone put it quite well earlier: treating Fallout as a realistic survival RPG is a mistake. It's not, never has been. It's an RPG set in what a stereotyped 1950s thought that a post-apocalyptic world would be like. Complaining about it being illogical and overblown is like leveling the same complaints at Mad Max or like the people who whine about difficulty and low carry weight in STALKER games, it's rather missing the point. There's a lot that Bethesda mucks up, but this is one point where I think they've hit it spot on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »

It'd be a fun thing if 2287 America was raided or threatened by groups from Africa/South America/Northern America/the Pacific Islands like that one book series with the Haida raiders and the British raiders in Post apocalyptic USA.

"Let's cross the entire Atlantic just raid the nuclear wasteland across the ocean then go back home!"

But yeah, what FD said.

It never was realistic or intended to be.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »

in fallout new vegas you are a tribal vault-hunting cyborg mailperson who set off a bunch of nukes (twice), helped a bunch of ungrateful fucks take over the hoover dam for muh power, got shot in the head and lived with probably no repercussions whatsoever, and is gay for their own brain
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: January 06, 2016, 02:58:58 am »

In my mind I handwave it as the east coast got so fucked by the nukes that there was next to noone left there, and only over time people filtered back into the eastern seaboard from surrounding areas, which is why the west coast is so much more developed. I know that's not a good explanation, but it's better than the lack of one we get from Bethesda.

It's also not supported by the games. Diamond City, for example, was founded in 2130, just 60 years after the War. And the time we experience the setting is another 150 years after that.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: January 06, 2016, 03:19:40 am »

And isn't the southwestern area, like, the only place actually hit by a bomb in the Commonwealth?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: January 06, 2016, 03:23:30 am »

Nah, there's a map marker somewhere in the middle of Boston. The something crater. Full of rads.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 462