Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Steam refund program!  (Read 42159 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Steam refund program!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 09:21:11 pm »

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

This is the point I'm most pleased with. Say what you want about pre-purchasing stuff, this is great news.

.....you do realize you've ALWAYS been able to cancel prepurchases, right?

You'd only get steam wallet for it (iirc), but that's not a new thing.
But once it released you were boned. IE Aliens: Colonial Marines' release. If a game is released terribly fucked up and/or with deceptive marketing and you supported it with a pre-purchase...
You can kick them in the teeth.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

This is the point I'm most pleased with. Say what you want about pre-purchasing stuff, this is great news.

.....you do realize you've ALWAYS been able to cancel prepurchases, right?

You'd only get steam wallet for it (iirc), but that's not a new thing.

Steam wallet funds are not money, though. It specifically says so in the Steam Subscriber Agreement, look it up. It's not really a refund, it's store credit.

And yes, the requirement of having played the title for less than two hours is indeed too strict. They're are simply not allowed to restrict refunds that way, and enforcing such a restriction will be just as illegal as refusing refunds altogether.

I don't think it's too strict at all. Two hours is plenty of time to decide if you like a game or not. It's not supposed to be a "boo I didn't like the game's ending I want a refund" or "I played 400 hours and now I'm bored" type deal, it's a "it didn't run on my computer" or "game is significantly different than what is described" type thing.

As for them not being allowed to do that, I'm sure valve has plenty of lawyers and I'm sure they talked to them first.

I totally get why they would want to put that limit there, but that's not how it works. The law's the law. Yeah, it means you get people 'buying' cameras, going on a vacation, then returning the camera. It's scummy, and businesses know it's going on, but they have to give you the refund anyway because that's what the law requires. It's specifically designed to empower the consumer. Yeah, of course a few people abuse that power, that's just people for you. It's a tiny little minority, though. Overall it's a very good thing that it is that way, because otherwise the business holds all the cards and you're completely at its mercy. The whole point of the law is to take power away from the business and give it to the consumer. Yeah, of course you don't like this if you're a business, but you can't just write your own rules to restrict rights given to consumers by a law just because you don't like the law. It's the fricking law!

Consider this. What if there's an unavoidable game-breaking bug further than two hours into the game? What if a family member plays the game without your knowledge and exceeds the two-hour limit before you've even had a chance to play it yourself? What if Steam's measurement of how long you've played isn't accurate? Which it totally isn't, by the way. There's any number of situations where this two-hour rule could screw you over.

And yeah, of course Valve has lots of lawyers. The trouble is they didn't go to their lawyers and say "help us make everything completely legit". If that were the case they wouldn't have had a no-refunds policy in the first place. They went and said "help us see how far we can push it and what we can get away with". Every big business does that, that's corporations for you. It's not Valve Software anymore, remember? It's Valve Corporation. Or to put it another way, they don't make games anymore, they just make money. Watch the documentary The Corporation. It's very enlightening.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:36:51 pm by Sordid »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:29:44 pm »

Of course this pretty much removes any trust from the pre-order system.  People may as well pre-order everything they might like, for the bonuses, then just take their money back if they don't like the product.  So it ceases to be a reliable way to support development, except as a loan.

Though some companies certainly have abused the pre-order system a lot, and at least that won't be possible anymore.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »

They say they will consider even if it isn't within the last 14 days.

And I have a few I have never been able to get working.

It's unlikely the new policy applies to anything prior to the policy change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 09:55:39 pm »

They say they will consider even if it isn't within the last 14 days.

And I have a few I have never been able to get working.

It's unlikely the new policy applies to anything prior to the policy change.
I think this depends on how concerned they are about initial backlash. The first thing everyone is going to think on hearing this is FINALLY NOW'S MY CHANCE! If that turns into page after page of people whining about how Steam's being mean and won't let them refund and this is terrible, it's likely to look bad for them.

Whether they care more about that or other things, of course, remains to be seen.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:21 pm »

I'm not sure how much you've been following Valve's past return policy but THEY HAVEN'T GIVEN A FLYING FUCK SO FAR. Steam is still around even with all the cries of outrage and grumbling.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »

How are they with official announcements?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:53 am »

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount.

So, steam will first try to refund it through the original payment method, and only then dump it into your steam wallet.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:15 am »

I don't think it's too strict at all. Two hours is plenty of time to decide if you like a game or not. It's not supposed to be a "boo I didn't like the game's ending I want a refund" or "I played 400 hours and now I'm bored" type deal, it's a "it didn't run on my computer" or "game is significantly different than what is described" type thing.

Well i saw game where the tutorial alone would last that long....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 02:45:05 am »

Just barely managed to sneak my Hatred refund in under the time limit.  We'll have to see if it goes through.
Shoes...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 05:44:27 am »

VAC Bans
If you have been banned by VAC (the Valve Anti-Cheat system) on a game, you lose the right to refund that game.
I don't much play with people (I'm an anti-social asshole, who likes to drop games unexpectedly for weeks at a time.) How permanent is this VAC thing, and if very, how accurate?

Also, this is pretty cool, if unexpected:
We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.
It actually didn't occur to me, until they mentioned it. So thanks Steam.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:51:40 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 06:10:55 am »

VAC bans are permanent.  They're not particularly trigger happy however, relying on the detection of cheat software rather than suspicious behaviour.

Also, VAC only prevents you from playing on VAC secured servers. Unsecured servers remain functional.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:13:46 am by 10ebbor10 »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 06:19:42 am »

They are also normally restricted to games that run on the same engine, so a ban on one may not mean you are banned on another game as well.  At least at one point games that were running on different versions of the Source engine had their VAC status tracked independently.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 10:39:41 am »

Two hours is plenty of time to decide if you like a game or not.

Most of the time, not always.  Europa Universalis games would take a while to make your mind up about.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 10:50:02 am »

Apparently, one of the devs of "Gone Home" is mad about this because Gone Home can be finished in less then 2 hours, so the game is essentially free now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13