Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Steam refund program!  (Read 40905 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam refund program!
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:39:33 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds?snr=1_41_4__42

Wait what o.O? Discuss, if they really keep that they will gain major point with the market i believe.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam refund program!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:45:59 pm »

I don't really have much to say about it. It's good to see they finally have something like this, it will please many people, but I've never had a need for it myself.

Of course, people will still complain, either that its requirements are too strict or that Valve are evil overlords that provide a free service.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:22 pm »

I don't doubt this will gain them a lot of favor with people, however that is simply because most people are ignorant. This isn't Gaben being magnanimous or anything, the right to a full refund within 14 days for any goods purchased digitally is something that you're guaranteed by EU law. This is Valve finally ceasing to blatantly violate EU law, nothing more. I wonder what pressured them into it. In any case, the appropriate reaction to this is not to applaud Valve, it's something along the lines of "about bloody time".

And yes, the requirement of having played the title for less than two hours is indeed too strict. They're are simply not allowed to restrict refunds that way, and enforcing such a restriction will be just as illegal as refusing refunds altogether.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:50:17 pm by Sordid »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:47:02 pm »

I'm curious how this interacts with publisher payments. They mention that buying a game and then refunding it to buy it again while it's on sale doesn't count as an abuse of the system, so I guess that means a publisher would be forced to pay the difference. That's probably why Valve hasn't bothered respecting this consumer right until now, if they had to also get all publishers to agree to new terms.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »

I would guess that all publisher payments will be delayed for the 2 weeks in case of refund.  I know very very little about how Steam does business though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:55:19 pm »

If Steam is like any other company out there they don't pay their suppliers immediately and have net 30 terms or something along those lines.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »

Pretty nice, but I wish it wasn't just 14 days after purchase.  I often don't even play games until a year after I get them.

I'm going to try to re-request a refund they denied me a couple years ago just to see though.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »

I for one am glad for this, and have taken the opportunity to ask for a refund on Dungeon of the Endless

lets see how long this takes
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »

Let's see if I can get rid of Hero Generations. I don't mind having mediocre games, but that one stuck in my craw for seeming plain dishonest.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »

I have a few shitty games I wanna get rid of.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »

Did you buy them from the last 14 days? Because that's the policy.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:39 pm »

They say they will consider even if it isn't within the last 14 days.

And I have a few I have never been able to get working.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »

Meh, in my (and most) countries reimbursements are set in the law. I never had a problem with the keyword "law" while sending an email to steam.
So yeah I'll continue to be a dick legally under 30 days from the purchase.

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:17:40 pm »

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

This is the point I'm most pleased with. Say what you want about pre-purchasing stuff, this is great news.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:16 pm »

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

This is the point I'm most pleased with. Say what you want about pre-purchasing stuff, this is great news.

.....you do realize you've ALWAYS been able to cancel prepurchases, right?

You'd only get steam wallet for it (iirc), but that's not a new thing.

And yes, the requirement of having played the title for less than two hours is indeed too strict. They're are simply not allowed to restrict refunds that way, and enforcing such a restriction will be just as illegal as refusing refunds altogether.

I don't think it's too strict at all. Two hours is plenty of time to decide if you like a game or not. It's not supposed to be a "boo I didn't like the game's ending I want a refund" or "I played 400 hours and now I'm bored" type deal, it's a "it didn't run on my computer" or "game is significantly different than what is described" type thing.

As for them not being allowed to do that, I'm sure valve has plenty of lawyers and I'm sure they talked to them first.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13