Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Steam refund program!  (Read 40899 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam refund program!
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »

Hey, people pay a lot by hour to go to the cinema. If someone wants to charge 15$ for 2hours of game, and gets people to pay for that, good for them.
This is one of the reasons I almost never go to the cinema, nor will I buy shitty 2 hour walking simulators.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2015, 02:27:04 pm »

Well, good for you. I never really got that whole "It's bad too charge too much!". If you don't like something's price, don't buy it. We're talking about entertainment, not food or healthcare, it's not like you cannot pick from one of the other bazillion forms of entertainment available.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2015, 11:00:52 pm »

So, the summer sale should be an interesting case for the 'refund for a lower price' bit. What happens if you don't get the refund before the price returns to non-sales level, among other things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2015, 11:03:42 pm »

I wonder if they've thought about what impact this will have on Summer Sale events as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »

So, the summer sale should be an interesting case for the 'refund for a lower price' bit. What happens if you don't get the refund before the price returns to non-sales level, among other things.

Most likely you get refunded at the lowest price within the past 2 years. Or 90 days. Or what you paid. 30-90 is fairly typical of non-receipt returns at stores.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2015, 11:13:40 pm »

This will be a non-issue.  The refunds are based on actual transactions, which necessarily record the price at time of purchase.  Anything other than this would cause a ton of problems, on multiple levels.

The shortest turnaround I've heard so far has been about two days (during not-sale time), so there's basically no chance that someone can refund and then purchase at (time-limited) sale price with the refunded money.  Anyone who wants to play that game will need a cash buffer.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »

Could Rockstar found a way to go around that "annoying refund shenanigans"? what they did is that during the steam sale, you don't buy a game, you buy a pack of the game plus a consumable microtransaction card which is supposed to be pretty useless but more importantly, can not be refunded. not to mention they managed to have a 25% discount tag while applying a discount closer to 11% on the deal. (Technically legit, because you are not just buying the game which is still priced 59.99 when bought on its own, but you also buy the card which give you in-game money). Obviously they know no one will buy the standalone product when its priced higher, and it still remains to be seen what they will do when the steam sale ends.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »

I was wondering what the Shark Card was about.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2015, 04:50:49 pm »

Could Rockstar found a way to go around that "annoying refund shenanigans"? what they did is that during the steam sale, you don't buy a game, you buy a pack of the game plus a consumable microtransaction card which is supposed to be pretty useless but more importantly, can not be refunded. not to mention they managed to have a 25% discount tag while applying a discount closer to 11% on the deal. (Technically legit, because you are not just buying the game which is still priced 59.99 when bought on its own, but you also buy the card which give you in-game money). Obviously they know no one will buy the standalone product when its priced higher, and it still remains to be seen what they will do when the steam sale ends.

"Here, have this in-game money that costs Rockstar nothing to give you and you can only return a fraction of the game price." Sounds like every package deal ever.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2015, 04:53:23 pm »

No, you cannot return parts of a pack if you used part of it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2015, 06:00:06 pm »

Urgh...very disappointing. Companies should really, really not be trying to get around refunds - it's a basic consumer right which every other business in the world understands. I've lost respect for Rockstar, as I'd feel they'd be a company on board with this sort of basic stuff (especially as they're games are really not going to fall victim to a 'rental cycle'). I really hope steam enforces refunds anyway, as otherwise we'll just end up with every single purchase having a token non-refundable part so that games can't be refunded.

I get that they feel that it'll cut into their bottom line, but I strongly believe it'll have the reverse effect, with gamers a lot more forgiving with companies that mess up and none of the massive rages we've seen in the past over awful releases. It's literally a new age of gaming, with none of the massive storms we've had before, and with devs being forced to be accountable rather than just cutting and running with the cash.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2015, 06:02:57 pm »

I'm a little disappointed in Steam that they're letting companies game their own refund system. What are they going to do? Not sell on Steam? More Man In The Middle Shenanigans.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:05:35 pm by nenjin »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:36 pm »

Do we actually have any evidence that this is what's going on? I mean, I know people don't usually get upset about hearsay on the internet and all, but...

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »

We will never have evidence for the intentions behind bundling the game with the card.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »

So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13