Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 4  (Read 15756 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Conquest of Elysium 4
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:04 am »

This is probably not the most exciting game in development right now, but if you happen to be a fan of Conquest of Elysium 3 or Illwinter games, you might be pleased to know that Conquest of Elysium 4 is in development! I was a somewhat surprised, given that Conquest of Elysium 3 wasn't exactly the most successful strategy game ever, but it has been three years and I suppose it did well enough to merit a sequel. Have a picture:

Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)

Highlights of the announcement:

- New combat system: as you can see in the photo, there is a grid-based battlefield, and units actually get to move around as opposed to being able to magically attack the front row of the other army. Furthermore, units get initiative values for attacking, so you don't have a CoE3 situation where a defending army could wipe out half of your attacking army in the first round, because defenders got first strike in CoE3. I think that this might be enough to make the game worth getting on its own, since the faulty combat system was probably the biggest issue I had with CoE3.
- Five planes will be in the game: not sure what exactly this entails, but this does sound pretty interesting and flavorful. The two mentioned are an "infernal plane," from which you summon demons, and Hades, which is full of undead. The announcement mentions some interesting interactions like summoned demon lords leaving their fortresses in the infernal plane, and powerful undead returning to Hades, so I think this could be a really cool feature.
- New map and climate generation: not really a big deal in my opinion, but the announcement mentions things that might affect temperature, like summoning a second sun or having Niefel giants, so this might be interesting in allowing you to see how your actions affect the gameworld.
- Random rituals: since the announcement mentioned making classes more random, I assume that this means that the different classes in CoE4 will not be guaranteed to have the same ritual abilities as they art in CoE3, and will be able to summon different creatures or have different progressions within the same class. The portion for this still says "To be written."
- Enchantments: I have no idea. The portion for this still says "To be written."

Anyways, I'm pretty stoked for this game, and I'm sure that anyone who got through the worst of CoE3 would be too! This one also looks like its more accessible compared to CoE3 and has more interesting features, so I think that this might have a broader appeal as well.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 4
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:35:19 am »

I'm more excited about this news than about Fallout 4. Can't wait to give this a try once it's released. Hopefully they'll add some depth to the game, it could use a diplomacy system for example. For a game designed for singleplayer, this game felt very lifeless without human players.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:49 am »

Aww yes. Same hwre
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:59:56 am »

hope they'll tone down the killer moose syndrome in this one

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:05:17 am »

... that combat picture is intriguing enough to me I might actually, finally, pick up one of the CoE games.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:10:50 am »

\o/

Awesome. CoE 3 was a good surprise for me when I picked it up and has likely cost me more hours then many AAA games.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:36:02 am »

I've never played with any of the CoE games, but this game looks interesting. I will keep an eye on it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:38:55 am »

As a lover of Dom4, what does CoE bring to the table that Dom isn't already doing?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:46:42 am »

simplicity :D

coe is dom stripped way down into a fairly simple singleplayer 'coffeebreak' strategy game

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:58:01 am »

Would be a good mobile game, but I wonder if there is really a need for coe4 on PC since we already have dom4.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:59:11 am »

Furthermore, units get initiative values for attacking, so you don't have a CoE3 situation where a defending army could wipe out half of your attacking army in the first round, because defenders got first strike in CoE3. I think that this might be enough to make the game worth getting on its own, since the faulty combat system was probably the biggest issue I had with CoE3.

Great to learn they finally changed that combat system, it just ruined CoE2 for me and was the reason i didn't bought CoE3 as it used the same annoying system.
I'll watch more about CoE4 development now :)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:32 pm »

Would be a good mobile game, but I wonder if there is really a need for coe4 on PC since we already have dom4.

I've sort of wanted to get Dominions 4 before, but it being mostly for multiplayer is a turn-off, since I can't guarantee that I'll always be able be active. Conquest of Elysium 3, on the other hand, was primarily focused on single player and had a pretty quick pace. I'd like to see a combination of the single player focus and quick pace of CoE3 with the complexity of Dom4, which CoE4 seems to be offering. Also, I personally like this new graphical style of battles better, since it's clearer than the Dom4 style and reminds me of ToME4, which I think does a pretty good job of conveying effects visually.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:06:05 pm by Un67 »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »

How good is the AI in the previous CoE games? As we all know, the AI in the Dominions games is terribaaaaaad.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:12:18 pm by gimli »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 12:55:38 pm »

As a lover of Dom4, what does CoE bring to the table that Dom isn't already doing?
It actually does some fairly interesting things mechanic wise that Dom basically can't due to the difference in scale and pacing. Leader/race choice can have pretty radical effects (compared to Dominions, anyway) on playstyle and whatnot, from what I've seen, just as an example. It's faster, slimmer, and still inventive enough to have some interesting bits and bobs. Only one I've actually played was whichever one they've spat out free, I think, but still.

They're somewhat similar but pretty distinct games with their own particular virtues. Don't really occupy the same niche, just sorta' adjacent ones.

Main reason I wasn't really hyped about the earlier CoEs is the battle system was kinda'... meh isn't quite the right word, but not to my taste. This one looks a lot sexier.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »

I couldn't ever really get into CoE 3. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but I couldn't ever get a hang of the pacing. You know what I'd rather have than a battle grid? How about some province (tile) defense? Chasing down the pack of three wolves rampaging through your towns is such a pain.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5