Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 4  (Read 15788 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 4
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »

You could always leave units in tiles in CoE3, although that had the issue of causing attrition to your main army. I do agree that constant animal spawns from things like Ancient Forests were really annoying, though, and it would be nice if every class had a way to deal with them in CoE4.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 03:21:29 pm »

hope they'll tone down the killer moose syndrome in this one

Beta testers were saying that wildlife is less horrific, and city walls are supposed to help even more.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 04:03:20 pm »

This is wonderful news. CoE3 is ok, but it's more interesting than fun. Killer moose and pacing, among other things.

I did enjoy the varied factions, so if they manage to iterate the series some more, I'm all for it.

That said, I did enjoy the battle system, but I'm not opposed to them changing it.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »

You could always leave units in tiles in CoE3, although that had the issue of causing attrition to your main army. I do agree that constant animal spawns from things like Ancient Forests were really annoying, though, and it would be nice if every class had a way to deal with them in CoE4.

I suggested that back in 2012 on the official forums, and got pointedly ignored by the guy they had compiling the shortlist from the main suggestions thread. Other people requested the same thing, and it seems they all got the cold shoulder too. In the end I just stopped playing - the ratio of fun to busywork was just not good enough.
I wouldn't hold out much hope for them making a serious attempt to cut down the boring micro parts. Coe3 was actually much worse than coe2 in that respect, and if they didn't provide an option to tone down spawns over three years of post-release support then I doubt we'll get much improvement in that direction in the next version.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:16 am »

Whoa. I'm surprised there is a CoE 4. Glad I found this thread :P

Would be a good mobile game, but I wonder if there is really a need for coe4 on PC since we already have dom4.

CoE 3 is actually my favorite mobile game, despite it being really hard to play with the tiny buttons.

I've actually preferred CoE over Dominions because of the simplicity. Even when I had the Dominions games I went back and played CoE 2 for the longest time.

Dominions is more of a realistic wargame. CoE is just a game where you just get a demonologist or barbarian and wreck stuff. I find CoE a lot more fun to 'lose' with. Like you can get a senator, build a huge empire and powerful armies, and then get your butt handed to you by a iron golem a couple hour later.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »

CoE4 is not very different from CoE3. Basically it is Conquest of Elysium - MORE STUFF EDITION. There are other planes of existence and so forth, combat is a little different, but most of the game is unchanged. I'm not disappointed I bought it though; it is a fun timewaster. Mostly I bought it to support Illwinter and hope they make Dom5. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 02:49:06 pm »

The battles finally look like something I can stand, heh :P

Haven't got it, but probably will eventually (sale, limited funds, etc., etc.). Combat (mostly presentation, honestly) was probably the only thing really offputting for me with regards to the older CoEs. This one's good enough! Plus there's neat stuff and... stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 08:44:14 pm »

CoE4 is not very different from CoE3. Basically it is Conquest of Elysium - MORE STUFF EDITION. There are other planes of existence and so forth, combat is a little different, but most of the game is unchanged. I'm not disappointed I bought it though; it is a fun timewaster. Mostly I bought it to support Illwinter and hope they make Dom5. :P

The combat is Drastically different. Rather then two groups fighting each other swinging back and forth with defenders hitting first. You now have a full grid map, actual movement, aoe abilities on grid, and overall it has changed quite a bit.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 11:41:31 pm »

It's fun. I played as a Demonologist, raised a pretty massive army, took the capital, then tried to take over Inferno and got rapidly whittled down by demon stacks. No mortal army stood a chance against me, but I was completely annihilated by demons in a few turns. Those guys are rough.

I think I'll try Voice of El next.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 01:31:54 am »

The combat is Drastically different. Rather then two groups fighting each other swinging back and forth with defenders hitting first. You now have a full grid map, actual movement, aoe abilities on grid, and overall it has changed quite a bit.

It makes little difference from player perspective, tho. You still have no control whatsoever, either before or during battle. Just the way it is shown to the player is different, but the actual actions you make regarding battle are the same.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 02:16:07 am »

Spell choice~

Also unit composition, terrain, other stuff beside... the player interaction itself in-battle may not exactly be there, but the difference between the last game and this one in terms of mechanics, how battles play out, etc., etc., is... pretty substantial.

It makes a helluva' difference from this player's perspective, heh.

E: In other news, I'm not entirely sure if it's something to do with medium sized maps or not, but I'm noticing the game seems rather inordinately fond of dropping the player in snowy areas, and/or ones that snow over in the winter. It's pretty thoroughly unpleasant. Double bonus points when you're something like dwarves and get dropped in the extreme north of the map. You basically can't fucking move :V
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:20:04 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 02:19:55 am »

Your mileage may vary, I've had to change nothing compared to CoE3. :P Same troop compositions and spells works as before. Since you can't control battle placement, it is mostly a numbers game anyway, barring special abilities.

Edit: Terrain placement is different for different factions. Dworves, actually, have the snow movement perk so they get placed north a lot. Aztecs on the other hand get placed south etc.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:24:59 am by Majestic7 »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:44 am »

Well I used to kinda abuse the combat system by putting something really really tough on the front line. Like a golem, ethereal, troll, or something with really high armor. And then just buy like 50 archer units. Quite eager to see the changes.

I'm thinking about whether to buy it because I'll probably end up wasting a ton of time on it :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 06:18:48 am »

A couple of negatives I had with CoE3 despite enjoying it:

Comically deadly wildlife, we're talking occasionally game ending for both you and the AI.
related: waging a reconquista against a single pesky deer got really old really fast.
Slow early turns, you generally didn't have enough troops to conquer much and your income to recruit was low, made worse by low income winter turns.
Combine all of the above and you either had really slow starts by leaving anti-wildlife patrol back home, or you could be in for a really short game if you took a gamble and ventured out with a larger army.
Distances also seemed huge, too much so. Could be my fault for not playing on the smallest maps though.

How did they fix/tweak those, if at all?

And sure, AI wasn't the best but I found that by teaming up 4 or 5 pairs of AI's I was generally able to fight some of them before everyone got killed by a moose. Not too worried about AI quality.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 06:39:33 am »

Distances are still great.

Wildlife seems less aggressive; they do take over undefended places, but don't attack citadels like in the old days. I'm not 100% sure, but I think different indies behave a little different. Like bands of soldiers attack settlements and armies, while animals will take over undefended farms but stay away from towns.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5